Status: updates will probably be at ungodly hours

Who Else Will Love You?

You Don't See It, Dear

After Echo and Eden had slept together she felt closer to him than she ever had before. She felt a sense of attachment that she surely thought was a strengthened feeling of love. Whenever he was with her, she felt like she was on top of the world. She felt like a princess. One week after Echo and Eden slept together, she invited him to meet Gramma which was big step, at least to her it was. Echo was a bit hesitant, but because it was so important to Eden he agreed. After school on March twelfth, Eden took Echo to the hospital where her Gramma was. They went up to her room and Eden noticed something was different. Her Gramma looked like she was on her deathbed. The sparkle in her brown eyes was gone.

"Hey Gramma." Eden said cautiously.

"Hello dear." Gramma croaked.

"How are you?"

"Fine. Who is this?"

"This is my boyfriend, Echo."

"Nice to finally meet you, Echo."

"Nice to meet you too." Echo replied politely. "Eden I'm gonna head down to the cafeteria."

"Eden, sweetie, why haven't you been visiting me lately?" Gramma asked.

It was true. Eden hadn't been visiting her Gramma everyday like she had in the past. She went maybe once a week if that.

"I've been busy."

"With Echo?"

"Yeah."

"Don't you see what he's doing?"

"What are you talking about, Gramma?"

"He's taking away the things you love so he can control your life."

"No he's not!" Eden defended.

"Do you draw anymore?"

"No. I haven't had the inspiration."

"Do you eat?"

"Somewhat regularly."

"Not when you're with Echo. I can see you've gotten thinner." Gramma stated. "How long has it been since you've read a book?"

"A couple of months. I haven't had the time."

"Because you were with Echo."

"Gramma those are my choices. I haven't read because I haven't felt like it.I haven't drawn because I haven't felt like it. I haven't visited you because I haven't felt like it. It has nothing to do with Echo."

"How many times have you done drugs or gotten drunk with that boy?"

"I don't know. A few times."

"Eden," Gramma warned, "Tell me the truth."

"Okay. A lot. Still don't know the exact number."

"You don't see it. He's manipulating your life. You haven't drawn anything, read a book, or visited me. Back last year, you wouldn't have dreamt of doing drugs. Open your eyes, Eden."

"You're crazy and you don't know what you're talking about," Eden dismissed, "I'm fine."

"That boy--"

"Don't use that tone of voice when referring to him. He's not a disgusting piece of trash."

"Get out." Gramma croaked, her eyes glazing over.

Eden turned around and went to go find Echo without so much as saying goodbye. She was convinced that Gramma was wrong. She was still herself and in no way was Echo controlling her life. He hadn't told her to stop drawing or to stop reading or to stop visiting her Gramma. All he wanted to do was spend time with her. Granted it was a ton of time that he requested she spend with him, but it was all out of love, right?

Eden found Echo in the gift shop browsing the knick knacks they had. She slipped her hand into his and guided him towards the exit.

"So soon?"

"Well, I didn't like what she had to say."

"What'd she say?"

"Nothing worth repeating." Eden said with a roll of her eyes.

They hopped into Echo's car and drove away to Eden's house without another word. Eden was frustrated. Why hadn't Gramma been supportive? Gramma was always supportive. She always cared about Eden so why was she shutting out the most important thing in Eden's life. Upon arrival at Eden's house, they both got out of the car and headed towards the front door. Eden stopped dead in her tracks before opening the front door. There was an unfamiliar car in the driveway. Eden hesitantly opened the front door and peered inside. Her father was sitting on the couch conversing with her mom. Echo stepped inside and looked curiously at the pair in the living room.

"Eden, who's this?" her father asked politely.

"This is my boyfriend, Echo." Eden said as she grabbed Echo's hand and headed towards her room.

"Not so quick young lady." her mother said before she could make the escape.

"What?" Eden sighed.

"We'd like to have a little chat with you. Echo can sit in if he wants."

Eden made her was slowly into the living room with Echo in tow.

"Eden, we want you to spend a couple of weeks with your father and his family." Her mother announced.

"What?" Eden asked, her eyes going wide.

"Well, as we know, I have a problem with alcohol and i've decided to seek treatment. We don't want you here by yourself so we decided that it would be best if you went to stay with your dad and his family for a couple of weeks." Her mother explained

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Smart girl." her father commented.

"I leave in four days."

"Four days? You leave in four days and you're just now telling me?" Eden shouted.

"Calm down, Eden. I didn't know how to tell you. I just. . ." her mom trailed off.

"You just what? You didn't have the decency to tell you only child that you're abandoning her for a few weeks, leaving her with her fucking shit father? Only four days?"

"You watch your mouth!"

Echo, who was sitting next to Eden, squeezed her hand, reassuring her and calming her down. Eden took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Where does he live?" She asked calmly.

"Over in Glen Burnie." her dad cut in.

"All the way in Glen Burnie?" Eden asked.

"Yes. On Foxtrap Drive."

"A snotty family in a snotty ass neighborhood." Eden grumbled.

Her mother glared at her. Without another word, Eden stood up and, dragging Echo with her, ran up to her room, shutting and locking the door behind her. Echo hugged her tight and she let tears flow from her eyes. She didn't want to stay with her dad. She didn't want to be assaulted by her father. But she was being forced to stay with him and face the dangers of his sick pedophilic* tendencies.

"Why are you crying, kit?"

"My dad. . ." she trailed off.

"What about him?"

"He used to rape me when I was younger." She whispered.

Echo hugged her tighter, squeezing the air out of her. He whispered sweet nothings into her ear as she let out all of the fear and pain she was feeling.

"You can stay with me whenever you can, okay?" Echo assured her.

"Okay." she said, wiping away the tears that stained her cheeks.

"We still have four days. We will spend every waking second together." Echo told her.

"Okay." Eden said, feeling a sense of assurance.

"Okay."
♠ ♠ ♠
* I have no idea if "pedophilic is an actual word.