Status: something.

Dear You

meeting

Pete barely sleeps, waiting for a response from Aubrey, which doesn't come until the next morning.

oh Peter Lewis, I bet you're not creepy ;) Meet me at the Perfect Cup, 1:30 this afternoon. I'll be the one in the purple raincoat. April showers bring May flowers, right? See you soon.

aubrey.


Pete's heart is hammering. The Perfect Cup is where he'd seen her yesterday. His palms are already sweating and he doesn't know what to do with himself. His response is simple:

see you then.

Aubrey is freaking out to say the least. She can't believe she's finally going to meet Pete, she'll finally see who's behind these words. She figures her favorite coffee shop will be a good place, a nice public place in case he does turn out to be a weirdo. She has classes up until one that afternoon, but she can't focus. She obsesses over her appearance, ensuring her make and hair are pristine and that her outfit is suitable. She arrives at the coffee shop around quarter past one and all she has to do is wait for Mister Peter Lewis to find her. She orders a medium hot chocolate and chocolate chip muffin, taking a seat by the window to people watch. Every time someone comes through the door she darts her eyes to the entrance, wondering if they'll be Pete. None of them are, however, and the fifteen minutes tick agonizingly by.

When Pete steps in the door he's greeted by the smell of fresh coffee beans and pastries. His eyes scan the shop in search of Aubrey, and he spots her sitting by the window in her purple raincoat. Her hair is wavy today, falling around her face. She looks up at him, meeting his eyes for a moment before he steps up to order his coffee. As he waits, he feels his phone buzz in his pocket. It's a message from Patrick, and as much as he loves him, Pete doesn't want to see Patrick after spending two months touring with him. He opens the text message anyway, quickly replying Dude I'm meeting a girl today I'll talk to you later.

Pete dreads the moment the barista hands him his coffee, because now he's just going to make a fool out of himself. He takes it carefully in his hand, pocketing his phone. He crosses the shop, making his way toward Aubrey, she notices him walking over, her eyes growing wide before she smiles. She stands up, a blinding grin across her face. Pete goes to hold out his hand for her to shake, but she immediately wraps him in a tight hug, and all he can do is press his cheek to the top of her head with a sigh. It was like they were meant to be together.

Aubrey can't believe her Peter is finally standing before her. Not to mention he's gorgeous. She has butterflies, pulling away a little to look up at him. She's nervous that she was too bold with her sudden affection, but Pete's not bothered in the least. He's smiling back at her and the skin around his caramel eyes crinkles. His dark bangs hang in his face a little, and he moves his hand to cup her face gently. "Aubrey," he murmurs, rubbing his thumb along the apple of her cheek.

"Pete," she sighs, leaning into his chest again. He seems like a Pete to her, so she goes with that. She hugs him again before reluctantly untangling herself from his body to sit back down. He takes a seat across from her, and she can't get over how beautiful his smile is. "So, how are you?" She asks, folding her hands in her lap. Pete leans back in his seat, taking a sip of coffee. Aubrey can't take her eyes off of him, she's captivated by his every move.

"I'm good, I'm tired. How are you? What did you do today?" Pete leans forward, resting his elbows on the table with a little yawn.

"I'm good too," Aubrey shrugs. "I went to class and now I'm here. With you," she looks at him with a smirk. Pete rests his chin in his hand, his eyes fixed on Aubrey's face.

"We'll be good friends," he says. "I can tell."

"Yeah?" She raises her eyebrows a little. "I think so too, Peter Lewis."

They talk for a long time in the coffee shop, at least two hours. Aubrey invites him to her apartment and he accepts the offer. It's just a couple blocks from the coffee shop so they walk, the rain finally letting up. They walk side by side in comfortable silence, Aubrey leading the way. Their hands brush more than once, but Pete's too scared to take her hand. He doesn't know if this is a date, or if they're just getting to know each other. He's in love with her, he knows it. Eventually Aubrey takes his hand, leading him toward the stairs to her apartment building. Pete flushes immediately, and he's sure he's never been this nervous around a girl.

She brings him up two flights of stairs and to the last door on the right. He has to admit it's probably the nicest apartment building he's ever been in, because all of his friends pretty much live in shitholes. Aubrey unlocks the door after a moment of nervously struggling with her key. When she opens the door they're greeted by a spacious two bedroom loft apartment. The furniture is all neat, paintings and trinkets decorate the space nicely, and area rugs compliment the hardwood floor.

"Wow, this is nice," Pete says, following her inside.

"Yeah, I really like it. It was a good deal, the looks are just a bonus." She tosses her bag onto the coffee table. She turns around to face Pete, resting her hands on his shoulders. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?" She has butterflies, even though she knows Pete, and she knows she doesn't need to be nervous around him. She tells herself it's just his good looks that are making her nervous, and she tries her best to shake it off.

"No thanks," Pete gives her a crooked grin. "Are you nervous right now?"

Aubrey rolls her eyes. "A little."

Pete takes her hand from his shoulder, giving it a squeeze. "Don't be." Aubrey finds it easier said than done, watching Pete inspect her apartment. "Do you stay here by yourself?" He asks, slipping from her grasp to walk around.

"I have a roommate, but she's hardly ever here." Aubrey trails behind him, watching him inspect the paintings on the wall. He's a little quirky, she decides, but in the best ways. "Here, let me take your jacket." She holds out her hand to him, watching him slide off his jacket to reveal his tattooed arms. "Holy tattoos, Batman." She laughs, hanging his jacket on the hook by the door. Pete rubs his arms nervously.

"Yeah...I like tattoos." He's afraid his tattoos are a turn off to her until she skips across the room, grasping his arm to hold in front of her face.

She looks up at him, eyes gleaming. "Me too." She pulls up her shirt the slightest to reveal a tribal sun tattoo on her hip. "I've only got one though," she chastises with a wink. "You're a walking art piece."

"Speaking of art pieces," Pete says, pointing to the paintings on the wall. "These paintings are really cool," he turns to her, eyes bright. "Where'd you get them?"

"Oh, I painted those," she admits sheepishly. "You like them?"

"Yeah, they're awesome!" He can't believe she has it all. Looks, brains, and she can paint. "Do you sell them?"

"Sometimes," Aubrey shrugs. "It's more of a hobby. Would you like one? You can pick whichever one you'd like."

"Seriously? I don't want to take it from you, I just think they're really awesome."

"Of course you can take one, Pete!" She assures him, standing by his side. "You like this one?" She pulls an abstract black and white painting from the wall, the one that he was really studying. "It's yours." She sets it on the table beside her purse.

"Aubs, I don't wanna take it from you," he laughs, brushing her hair away from her cheek. "It's yours."

She blushes at his touch and at her new nickname. She shakes her head, saying he can have the painting. She slips from his touch and flops onto the couch, resting her feet on the coffee table. Pete sits beside her and she turns on the TV, flipping through the channels mindlessly. "Ooh, let's watch this!" Pete snatches the remote once she flips to some movie on a channel she never watches.

"What is this?" She asks with a laugh.

"I dunno, it looks interesting." Pete shrugs, letting his arm fall around her shoulders. Aubrey lets out a deep breath, calming her nerves enough to inch closer into his side. Pete smiles down at her, and Aubrey swears she's on fire. Occasionally Pete will make fun of something in the movie or freak out over something he wasn't expecting to happen and it makes Aubrey laugh hysterically. She can't believe how lucky she is to have met Pete.

"You're crazy," she rolls her eyes at him after his most recent freak out, over the ending of the movie. "Come on, how did you not see that coming?"

"I saw it coming, it was just stupid." He pouts, leaning back against the sofa. Aubrey rests her head against his shoulder, loving the feeling of his fingers tracing against her arm. "Hey," Pete whispers in her ear.

"Yeah?"

"I love you. You know that right?" Pete's eyes are fixed on the TV, Aubrey's are focused on her hands resting in her lap.

"Yeah," Aubrey nods. She shifts to look up at him, his face illuminated by the television in the darkness of the living room. "You know I love you too, right?"

"Yeah, Aubs," Pete murmurs. "I know."

He leaves late that evening and they exchange phone numbers, already communicating constantly just after his departure. Aubrey can't stop thinking about him, and she knows she wants him to be more than a friend, but it's just too soon. She needs to give it time, she decides, but she isn't sure how long she can hold off. She wants to keep this at a Platonic level for as long as she can. Aubrey makes a post on her blog that night, knowing full well Pete would see it and take the hint.

I fell in love with your words first but it was only a matter of time until I fell for you too.

Pete's comment leaves her heart racing.

same here, Aubs. in a coffee shop downtown, no less. medium hot chocolate and a chocolate chip muffin.

peter lewis
♠ ♠ ♠
woah so they finally met. They're not really together or anything, but we'll see where their friendship goes and how long they can put off the inevitable. What did you guys think? I feel like the chapters will get longer now because they'll actually be interacting in person. Thank you for all the support you've given me on this strange little story, I'm so glad you guys like it :)