Status: I'll update when I can.

The Sorcerer and the Musician

One

Merlin was just coming out of his room, trotting down the tiny flight of stairs into the main chambers, when there was a loud knock on the door. He slowed, looking around for Gaius. The court physician was nowhere to be seen, so Merlin hurried across to see who it was. As soon as the door opened, Arthur strode in without looking at Merlin once.

"Morning, sire," sighed Merlin, closing the door as Arthur cleared the threshold. "You're already up?"

It was odd to see Arthur awake and alert at sunrise. The prince was usually the epitome of lazy, and judging by the smell of his red long-sleeve tunic and ruffled blond hair, he had had absolutely no help that morning.

"Yes, Merlin," Arthur said, not looking at Merlin as he stood in the center of the room, turning slowly as he looked for something. "I am able to dress myself in the morning, even when my pitiful servant isn't there. Where's Gaius?"

"I don't know," said Merlin. "Why? If you need a remedy, I might be able to help."

"No," chuckled Arthur. "I don't need any medicine, and if I did, I would still go and find Gaius before I asked you to make it for me."

Still chuckling, Arthur opened the door forcefully, nearly knocking Merlin off his feet in the process, and led the way out of the room, motioning for Merlin to follow him. Merlin sighed again, snatching a piece of bread off the table and closing the door behind them as he trailed after Arthur down into the courtyard of the castle.

It was a bright and beautiful day in Camelot, the rising sun casting long shadows across the cobbled courtyard. Although it wasn't too early in the morning, servants and guards were already walking about, starting the chores for the day. It was obvious that Merlin had slept in a little late. Arthur hurried to the front steps of the castle, taking them two at a time to the big doors. Scrambling along behind him, still yawning, Merlin nearly had the doors closed on his face, slipping inside just before they shut completely. Arthur had already taken off up the staircase to the left, leaving Merlin to catch up with him at the top.

"So why do you need Gaius?" asked Merlin, curious as to why the prince needed Gaius so urgently.

Urgent wasn't really the correct word. It was as if Arthur was anxious about something and Gaius was the only one who could help.

"You'll find out soon enough," Arthur said casually, taking a right and heading up a short flight of stairs that spiraled up to a narrow corridor. Merlin already could tell where he was going.

"That's all you're going to tell me?" joked Merlin.

Not paying attention to his servant, Arthur continued along the passage until he reached the king's chambers and knocked on the door. Gaius opened it.

"Ah, Prince Arthur," he said. "Your father was just asking for you."

"I'll speak to him immediately," replied Arthur.

Merlin peeked over their shoulders to where King Uther sat by the window, staring off as if he were looking at something in the difference.

He hadn't been the same since Morgana had betrayed him less than a year ago, bringing Morgause's army of the undead into Camelot and taking the throne for herself. If that hadn't been bad enough, she had even revealed how much she really knew about her past and had sentenced Uther to death — but first he was forced to watch her slaughter innocents from the dungeons. In the end, Merlin had fought his way into the room containing the Cup of Life, spilled the blood contained within, and fatally wounded Morgause. The battle had been won, but neither Morgana or Morgause had been seen since, their bodies absent from the pile of rubble caused by Morgana's magic.

Since then, Uther hardly left his chambers, sitting in that same chair day after day, silent for the most part. If he was asking for Arthur, today had to be one of the better days.

Setting aside all reasons to speak to Gaius, Arthur stepped past Gaius into the room, the court physician coming out into the hall and closing the door. He fixed Merlin with a beckoning gaze, as if asking why Merlin was there.

"Arthur was looking for you," Merlin explained quickly, leaning back against the wall behind him. "It's nothing too important if he didn't tell you right now."

"Well, then, we'll just have to wait for Uther and him to finish," replied Gaius. "I can't possibly think what would have happened to make Arthur get out of bed this early in the morning."

Chuckling, Gaius stood by the door, one eyebrow raised as always and his hands behind his back, waiting for Arthur to come back out into the hallway.

The physician was an old man, his white hair shoulder length and thin. Slightly hunched, he always raised his head when he spoke, which Merlin thought was to make him look taller and more respectable. Of course, Gaius was well-known throughout Camelot and a member of the king's court. Even in his elderly age, he was respected by all for his wisdom and skills as a physician.

Merlin had become his assistant almost three years before, arriving in Camelot with a letter from his mother. In it, she had asked Gaius to look over Merlin and help her son to control the magic he had been born with. Since then, he had become a skilled sorcerer, studying magic secretly, and sometimes using it to protect Arthur. The dragon had said their destinies were linked, so Merlin saw it as his duty to protect Arthur from harm as long as he lived, even if it meant giving his life or risking being caught using magic.

And while they were not related, Gaius was like a father to Merlin, caring for the boy with dark brown hair and blue eyes that had saved Gaius from a fatal fall the day he arrived in the city.

They had only stood outside the king's chambers for ten minutes before the door opened and Arthur stepped out, turning to Gaius, a hint of a smile on his face, but nervousness showing in his eyes. Merlin stood up straight expectantly, wanting to know what was going on.

"They're here," was all he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I've been watching way too much Netflix recently and felt inspired to write some Merlin fan fic. Now, I'm all for Merlin and Freya (love those two!) but this is my favourite show right now — so here goes nothing! Just trying out another part of my fandom universe. Hope y'all enjoy!