Assistants and Dearest

I

"Dad, where is our license agreement?" I asked, walking up behind him. He was at the copy machine.

"It's in one of the files, over by your moms desk," He said, turning around long enough to point to my mother's desk.

"Okay, thanks," I replied casually, walking towards my moms desk. Or what used to be my moms desk.

When I was around the age of fifteen, my mom and dad got into a huge fight because my mother "cheated" on him, but I don't believe it. My mom would never do such an infamous thing. Anyways, in the end, my mother ended up packing up her stuff, kissing me on the forehead and telling me to be strong, and then storming out the door, never to return. The thought of the evening still taunts me, and I don't really like to think about it for extended periods of time.

Slipping my key into the file case, I opened the drawer and scanned the folder carrying our license. Since the files were put in alphabetical order, it was easy to find our licenses. The only hard part was that all the yearly papers were put in chronological order, and I didn't know the specific one I was looking for. With a slight groan, I slammed the file door shut, probably a little too hard because one of the employees gave me a weird look. I just glared and grabbed my key, leaving the room and going upstairs to my office.

My father told me last week we were in the middle of an audit, so it's my job to sort all the files and get the papers to look right. Auditors are so stupid, they only come to try and find something wrong with your business, just so they can make money. It's a total screw over. But, I gotta get it done, my dad depends on me, and that's enough for me to do it. I like pleasing other people. In fact, I am probably one of the least selfish men you'll ever meet.

Even though I love making my dad happy, I was getting way too stressed out. I just finished high school last month, and I'm already twice as stressed with this audit. There's just too many papers to go through in so little time and it's driving me insane. I've been working long nights and mornings, mostly eleven hour shifts. If you didn't know, the regular employment time is eight hours.

Skimming through the papers, there was a knock on the door. I always keep it closed so I don't disturb anyone, even though I'm the only one who works upstairs. I've worked up here since I was sixteen.

"Vic?" My dad said on the other side of the door. I grabbed the remote and turned my music down a little.

"Come in," I said, turning back to look for the paper. I swear it's no where to be found.

"I need you to come down, all the employees and myself are having a meeting." Since I was facing away from him, I didn't hesitate to roll my eyes. I hate meetings.

"Fine, I'll be down in a few minutes." I heard him close the door and head back downstairs.

Finally, my eyes fell upon the paper that I've been searching for. I pulled it out slowly, making sure not the rip it, then sat it down on my desk before existing my room, swinging the door close behind me.

When I arrived, I took a seat next to one of the least annoying employees, Alex. He was pretty chill and only a few years older than me, so we got along pretty good. Well, he was cute too, but he's not really my type.

Yes, I know, shocker I'm gay.

Literally, no one knows though. Of course, if I ever date someone they know, but that's it. Not even my friend Jenna, who I've known since third grade knows. Someday, I'll come out and say it, but today's not the day. My thought were ripped away from me when I heard a clap of my father's hand.

"Alright, now I assume you all wonder why we're here today. Most of you probably think this is about the audit, which in a way it is, but this is more directed to certain employees." He paused to scan our faces, then smiled. "For the ones who have been working overtime and helping me get everything together, I've decided to give you a little...help. Only until the end of the audit, which should be over in a few months." I looked around, met by equally unimpressed faces. "I have a list prepared, so I'll just tell you what I've done for you. I've hired a few more employees, specifically to be your, hmm, let's say assistant for the next few months to help you with all your work." And then everyone started to smile, except me. I swear if I'm on that list. I don't want an "assistant." I like to do things independently.

"I'm also pairing your assistants as boy boy and girl girl, just because I don't want...things happening." I chuckled. If only he knew. "Alright, I'll read you the list, this tells you who is getting an assistant and what their name is, ready?" There were scattered yes's and a few nods. I just glared at him.

"Andy, you're paired with a man named Ryan. Tay, you're with Hayley. Taylor and Marina are together, same for Alex and a boy named Jack. And Vic," I winced. "I hired a boy named Kellin for you to work with." I gave him a fake smile.

"Thanks," I said through gritted teeth. He must've missed the sarcasm in my voice, because he just smiled and said your welcome.

"Now, they should all be here tomorrow, so be ready. They'll help you with anything you need, just show the the ropes and you'll be set." He smiled one last time, then spun around and went to his office. And work went on the same as it does everyday.

But I knew tomorrow was going to be a mess.