Assistants and Dearest

X

When I woke up in the morning, my head was pounding as expected. Without a second's hesitation, I pulled myself from the sheets and grabbed an Ibuprofen on my bedside table. Then, I made my way into the kitchen and made myself some breakfast. My morning was long and hard to cope with. On top of the headache, I knew things were going to get awkward with Alex today, and also Vic. I groaned in frustration. I hadn't even been working for Alex over a week! Only six days and things are already going down hill.

I grabbed my bottle of Ibuprofen and made my way out of the complex, heading to my doom also called work.

When I arrived, their was the usual chatter and I had to remind myself not to walk up the stairs to Vic's office, because I didn't work there anymore. I worked with Alex, down here. At my desk, I saw Alex glance at me.

"Morning." I said.

"Morning." He replied, not making eye contact. I looked around timidly. What was going to happen?

I did my usual work for Alex without uttering a word to him. It wasn't until the front door open that I knew something was going on. Vic looked at me when he walked in, and that's not normal. I watched as his figure jogged up the stairs, disappearing after a few seconds.

I continued to write. Alex's phone rang and he answered, but I ignored the conversation and continued to stamp the papers.

"Hey Kellin, can we go talk?" I heard Alex ask after he hung up. I shrugged, but put the papers back and followed Alex out of the office area and towards the steps to Vic's office. Why would we need to be up here?

"Why up here?" I questioned inquisitively.

"You'll see."

Alex opened the door and we walked into the oh so familiar room. Vic was standing by his desk, a worried and angry mixed expression glazed across his face. I quirked my eyebrows and looked between both men.

"Never mind Alex, can Kellin and I talk alone for now?" Alex nodded, leaving me to question just what the hell was happening.

The door closed, so I kept my eyes on it, desperate to avoid Vic's gaze. But I couldn't, I had to turn around. But how much I wish I didn't. Vic's brown eyes stared into mine like knives.

"Know anyone named Oliver Sykes?"

☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

Sitting down, the silence ate me alive. How did he know Oliver? And most importantly, why? He couldn't fucking know about this!

"Who?" I played dumb.

"Oliver. Sykes." He said through gritted teeth. Why was so angry?

"...No..."

"Do not lie about this Kellin." He warned.

"Fine, fine yes, I know Oli...We went to high school together. He was my friend."

"Yeah well your friend may be going to jail for illegal drug substances, that he's been selling to you!"

"You can't prove that." I spat.

"Oh yes I can. He showed up at my place last night, interrogating me. Apparently, you guys talked about me? And he wanted to know if I was "Good" enough for you! When he left, a bag of marijuana fell out of his bag, so I called the cops and reported him." My jaw dropped.

"You turned Oli in? You fucking dick!" I yelled at him, even though I didn't know why I was sticking up for Oli. I think sticking up for anyone besides Vic right now was good.

"I had to Kellin, he needs help and so do you. Why didn't you tell me you did drugs?"

"Why didn't you turn me in?" I asked, skipping over his question.

"I don't dislike you Kellin, and you don't deserve to be in jail. Now answer me."

"I don't usually." I mumbled.

"When was the last time?"

"I don't know, maybe a couple weeks ago, the night before I called in sick..."

"Jesus Christ Kellin."

"I got into it in high school and I guess if I needed comfort, I needed drugs."

"You wanted drugs, not needed." I nodded in understatement. "Please, please tell me that's all." His eyes were no longer filled with fury, but now they were soft. That made me feel more guilty than I already had.

"No." He sighed. "I used to drink a lot too, and harm myself..."

"Anything else?" I thought back, then shook my head.

Vic's figure appeared by mine. He pushed a hair out of my face and looked at me thoughtfully.

"I know you don't think I care about you, but I do. I cannot pretend I dislike you Kellin. It's not that easy."

"Why do you care so much?" I blurted out, still a little angry at him. But being here with him so close to me had me conflicted.

"Because, I like you, a lot."

"Hmm, really?" I replied sarcastically. "Doesn't seem like it because all you ever do is make me angry and you never want to talk! And if we do talk it's about work, but you never under-" My rambling was cut off when Vic pressed his lips against mine. I gasped against his lips, surprised by his action.

We stumbled backwards, my back pressing against the door. My hands went through his hair, while his locked the switch on the door. He then pulled away breathlessly.

"Come work for me again." He breathed, causing me to smile widely.

"I thought you'd never say that." I replied, pressing my lips against his again. The feeling made my stomach fill with butterflies. Vic's hands landed firmly on my waist, holding me in place as he kissed me back.

We pulled away and just kind of rested there, looking at each other. He decided to talk first.

"We're not going to be working like normal now, are we?" He asked, but he didn't seem to repulsed by my answer.

"If you think it is, you're delusional." I replied, smacking his arm lightly. "I need to finish work with Alex today though, I guess you'll sort this out? And where's Jack?"

"I told him not to come in today, and yeah I will, go on." He smiled and unlocked the door, shooing me out and back to Alex who literally had no clue what the hell just happened.