Assistants and Dearest

XVI

In the morning, I got up and headed to my closet. When inside, I pulled open the drawers and went through the shirts I could wear. And of course, laying in the middle of the stack was a piece of paper.

I pulled it out and unfolded it, anticipation getting the best of me.

"What I have to say to you is very important."

What's that mean?

Whatever, it's probably nothing.

I tossed the note onto the desk and got dressed, then I went downstairs, grabbed a granola bar and headed out. I wasn't going to ride with Vic today, and honestly I didn't give a fuck if he was there or not.

But he hadn't arrived, so I did my usual work and waited until he came back. When he did, he glanced at me, but then walked on past to his desk.

And a knot formed in my stomach. I missed us talking. I missed his touches and his kisses, the way he made me feel when I was pressed against him. But I also wanted to know what he meant in his notes, so instead of apologizing, I kept quiet.

He came back over a few minutes later, tossing a stack of papers onto my desk. I looked at the note hopefully, but it was nothing important. It just stated what he wanted me to do.

So, I obliged and stamped the papers, putting them into my organizer. Well, until I hit the last piece of paper.

There was a large sticky-note. I looked up to see Vic's back, so I didn't hesitate to smile.

My fingers traced the outline of the note as I bit my lip. And then slowly, I unfolded it and read what he had to said.

"One of the most important things I could say."

Okay, so this did mean something. But what the fuck was so important?

I ignored him for the rest of work, looking everywhere except at him. Or at least I tried to. I kept finding myself stealing glances at him now and then, but from the looks of it, he had no intentions of looking back.

God I just wanted my way with him. I did it once, why can't I do it again?

After work finished, I scurried out the door and down the sidewalks until I returned back to the house.

I know, my life's pretty boring now, isn't it?

My phone buzzed, so I pulled it out quickly, hoping it was from Vic. But it wasn't. It was Oli.

"Wanna hang out?" I read. Why was he texting me? I thought he'd be in jail or some shit!

"Sure, where at?" I texted back. Vic would kill me if he knew what I was doing.

But I liked the risk, whether it makes him mad or not.

"High school bleachers, the usual." I sighed. He just wanted his drug buddy.

"Be right there." I replied hastily, now leaving the house just as fast as I returned.

The sun started to set, so by the time I arrived, it was dark and gloomy. But I spotted Oli and gave him a smile. To my surprise, he had no bags, no containers, nothing. It was just him.

"Where's the stuff?" I asked curiously. It's not that I wanted any, I've just never known Oli to not bring some with him.

"Nah mate, I'm laying off that shit."

"Really? W-why?" I asked, even more intrigued by the conversation.

"I almost got busted, well I did, but I made a promise..." My eyebrows raised.

"Did Vic turn you in?" I blurted out. Oli nodded.

"But-" He said, holding up his finger. "We made an agreement later on."

"And that was...?" I questioned.

"He'd bailed me out on one condition. I quit doing drugs."

"What about, like rehab?"

"I don't need it. I can do this independantly, I know it." I smiled.

"Well, good for you...Then why are we here?"

"Can't two mates hang out without it involving drugs?" He said with a chuckle. I smiled slyly kicking the ground. My phone then buzzed.

"One sec." I said, pulling it out and reading the text from Vic.

"Eight o'clock. Room 5c." Was all it said. I raised my eyebrows, then pulled them down into a confused manner.

"What's wrong?" Oli asked me from behind. I shook my head.

"Nothing." I muttered before slipping the phone back into my pocket.

So we sat on the bleachers for another hour or so, just talking. I told him about Vic and everything. And it was nice being open with someone. Sure, I may not be able to trust Oli fully, but it was better than nothing. It wasn't until eight he stood up.

"Follow me." He stated, so I obliged.

We walked to the back of school where he pushed the exit door open. I stopped and stared at him in shock.

"How did you-"

"Shh." He said, grabbing my arm and pulling me in. I followed him down the dark hallway until we reached a familiar room. 5c.

"Is this-"

"Shh." He said again, covering my eyes.

"Oli what are you-" I heard him turn the handle and push me into the room.

"Have fun." Was all he said before removing his hands, and walking out the door. But he locked it as he left.

"Oli?" I called, peering through the small window. "Oli!" I yelled, pounding on the door. Fuck.

I turned around, now somewhat scared. Why was Vic texting me this number and then Oli locking me in here?

The classroom looked like any one would, except it was slightly bigger. The desks pointed to the white board.

I walked around, discovering another section of the room. And what I saw startled me. But when I realized what was happening, my heart melted.

It literally felt like someone shot cupid's arrow through my heart.

Big scrawled out words were written neatly over the chalk board. And when I read them, I knew exactly what Vic had been talking about for the past few days.

"I love you."