Assistants and Dearest

XXVIII

Vic

"I just want to say to everyone who has helped us the past few months, thank you." My dad said at our meeting. "This is your last day, treat it with specialties. Thank you." He flashed an award winning smile before shaking hands with all the assistants. Everyone smiled and talked with each other

Here we are. The last day. My eyes glanced around the room to everyone I've gotten to know. A smile crept onto my lips. I think I'll actually miss everyone equally. My dad stepped back up behind the tall desk. I quirked my eyebrows in confusion. Why was he back up there?

"I have more news." He said boldly, and at the moment everyone and everything went silent. His eyes locked with mine, so I swallowed the lump in my throat. "My birthday is coming up. I'm getting old." There was a round of laughs. "I know I know, very funny. But anyways, I have decided it is almost time for me to retire." Everyone went monotone, including myself.

He was retiring?

"But, this is not the end of all of your jobs, I have decided who I want to run the business." Oh no. "My son, Vic." Everyone turned to me. I managed to smile.

Honestly, it was a huge honor to have my dads trust and support me in running a business. I couldn't really imagine myself anywhere else but here. But deep down, part of me felt unsure about commanding a whole business. Could I handle so much work? My dad seems to always be stressed, and I'm not sure I want to be like that.

I just need to think it through, but not right now.

"I know he'll do great, he always does." I blushed as everyone nodded in agreement.

He stepped down again and everyone applauded him. I met his eyes again. He nodded for me to follow him, so I obliged. We walked into his office where he shut the door.

"Surprise!" He said with so much enthusiasm, engulfing me in an unusual hug.

"Why me dad?"

"Vic." He began, pulled away and planting his hands firmly on my shoulders. "I couldn't ask for a better you." Yes you could. "You're respectful and trustworthy. This is where you belong." I nodded my head slightly. "I want you to take over, beginning next month. I can teach you everything and-"

"Wait, wait." I stopped him, stepping way. "Next month? Dad that's not too far ahead."

"I know, I'm sorry it's late notice. It took me some time to decide." I shook my head.

"I don't know if I can learn so much in such a small amount of time." I said, looking away from him.

"You can, you always do. Aren't you excited?" I hesitated before answering.

"Y-Yeah." He smiled brightly.

"If you put your mind to it, you can do anything. I believe in you." And with that, he walked out of the room, leaving me in my thoughts again.

He was right, if I took this seriously, I could do this.

I just need to try.

I continued on with work for the rest of the day, my mind completely zoned in on the papers in front of me. And then my alarm went off, telling me that work was officially over for today.

I rounded up my papers and put them back into their proper places and cleaned up before packing away my items to take home. When I reached the parking lot, I stopped in my tracks.

I gaped at my car, or what was by the car? There stood Kellin with a cheery grin slapped on his face. I walked up to him, watching him intently.

"Hey." He said much like the last time I saw him.

"H-Hi." I managed to say, flashing him a smile. The atmosphere around us was completely different, in a good way that is.

"I remembered our schedule." He said, chuckling right after. It took me a second to understand, but when I did I laughed with him.

"I'm glad you did, it's hard not see-"

"Vic?" I heard soemone say from behind me. I stepped an inch away from Kellin, reading his expression. He was worried. I turned around, and there stood my dad. "Why's he here?" He asked me.

"O-Oh he just came to s-say hi." I stuttered out, looking between him and Kellin nervously.

My dad looked pretty skeptical, and he sure didn't try to hide the glare he sent in Kellin's direction. Kellin looked down at the ground immediately. My dad motioned for me to come over to him, so I did.

"You know I don't like him."

"I know dad, but he's not that bad, it was an honest mistake."

"He is a filthy mess, I don't want you talking to him." I wanted to argue, I really did. But I knew no matter what I said, he wasn't going to change his mind. He was set on me not socializing with him, even though I was old enough to decide who was and wasn't my friends.

I looked back to Kellin, who now seemed less perky and happy than before I turned around.

"Fine." I finally said. My dad smiled and patted my shoulder before walking off, ignoring Kellin completely. I watched him go before stepping back up to Kellin.

"I don't get why he hates me so much." He said softly, breaking my heart in each word.

"He doesn't hate you Kellin..." I replied, grabbing his hand and squeezing it.

"Yes he does." He snapped, pulling away from me. "Our relationship is always going to be a secret isn't it?" I went to speak, but he stopped me. "Look at us Vic, seriously. You know I love you, but this is getting to be too much. I don't know what to do anymore." He covered his face with his hands.

"Kellin, I'm sorry. I'll tell my dad soon, but I can't right now. He's depending on me. He's giving me his job, Kellin." He looked back at me.

"His job?" I nodded. "He's retiring?"

"Yes, next month. Right now is a really hectic time for me, but believe me when I say I'll tell him. I don't want to lose you." I leaned in and wrapped my arms around his figure, embracing him.

"I don't want to lose you either." He whispered to me. I pulled away, kissing him softly.

"I need to go home." I said shortly after. He smiled, kissing me again.

"Alright, I'll text you later then." I nodded. "Bye." He said with one final kiss.

"Bye." I replied, watching him walk off.

His smile faded as so did his figure, but the memory of him never did nor will it fade.

I lost him once, I'm not losing him twice.