Assistants and Dearest

XXXIII

Another week passed. Vic kept quiet, I fretted over the whole scenario. I also continued to force Matty to take his medication, but fortunately he obeyed willingly. I could already tell he was getting back to his old self.

Is that good or bad?

Oli and I talked a lot over the weekend. Whether it be by phone call or texts, he was quick to respond. I also found out a little more about him and Hannah. Apparently he got her number and has been wanting to call, but couldn't bring himself to do so.

Something weird about the week was that I hadn't seen Sydney in awhile. Usually she'd be in on Thursday mornings with me, but she wasn't there. I was all alone. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of work for me to do, so everything got done if a fair amount of time.

My life felt as if it was slowly puzzling itself together. It used to be a wreck, and now bit by bit, I feel more like my own individual. Even though I still share a home with Matty, and my relationship is on the edge, I still feel pretty good about everything. Honestly though, I don't have a clue why I'm feeling so positive.

In fact if anything, right now I'd usually be neck deep in negativity.

My phone buzzed. My heart beat quickened as I pondered the idea of Vic texting me. I picked up my phone.

I choose the business.

That was the first thing I expected to see pop up on my screen, but it wasn't. In fact, Vic hadn't even contacted me. It was Oli again. He explained that him and Hannah talked for awhile and really hit it off. I was quick to shoot back a congratulations before I slipped on my coat and left the small apartment. Matty was napping.

The first thing I planned to do with my free day was go over to Vic's a hang out, but me being me, i stayed my distance. Not only was Vic ignoring me, but his dad still hated me on top of it all. That's probably the main reason he's making Vic choose anyways.

I was my own worst enemy in this situation right now.

With a sigh, I subsided the thoughts of Vic and our relationship and thought of some other things to do. I finally settled for walking around town, exploring. Our town isn't very big, but there's still plenty of things to do.

I walked to the pond not too far from the apartment complex. Some adults were there with children. I smiled as they tossed stones into the water. It reminded me of when I was a child.

Good days when nothing mattered.

Once I left the pond, I followed the shallow stream until I hit the edge of town. I could keep going I thought to myself, so I did. Not into the next town though, I entered the woods.

It was damp and chilly, everything seemed much more gloomy. Bare trees were aligned, while others somehow retained many of their colorful leaves. Fall is beautiful.

My feet crunched on the leaves as I continued up the tiny hill. My flannel shirt got hooked onto thicket every now and then, nothing too serious.

I should've been better equipped before I came in here. My eyes scanned the junction where the sun met the horizon. You never notice how fast the sun really sets.

My surrounding became much more gloomy and dark, so I headed back. My biggest fear was getting lost, but fortunately I made it back to the stream, using it like a compass.

And before I knew it, I was downtown. I ate dinner there as well. Still, nobody contacted me. I found myself eager to hear or read what Vic had to say. I'm sure this decision is major for him though, I shouldn't be so conceited with this topic anyways.

After I paid my bill and exited that small pub, I continued to the park. The sun was completely hidden by now, so it was a little tricky to watch my step. Not that it mattered to me if I fell or not.

No kids roamed the swing sets or slides, probably because it was too dark. With a huff, I took a seat on the swing and pushed myself slightly.

I remember the first time I ever got on a swing set. I was so scared, and I couldn't push my self. My legs weren't long enough. My mother had to push me. But by third grade, I was pushing myself.

I learned to care for myself after my father left us.

My mind wandered as I thought about everything going on right now. Surely what's going on right now isn't as bad as my childhood was.

It was a real shitty time in my life.

I never really obeyed, I was rebellious. My grades were always bad, and after the papers were due I'd find myself doing them just for fun. And when I did them, I fully understood. It wasn't that I was unable to comprehend everything, it wasn't that hard. I was just a procrastinator (Still am,) and I didn't want to obey by someones power.

We transferred schools a lot, mostly because I was expelled many times for mischievous activities. At the time, I didn't give a fuck about any of that, but now I regret it every day.

I wish I would've been a better child, for my moms sake. Never did I realize until I graduated how stressful I probably had made her life. With a frown, I hopped of the swing and snuggled into my warm hoodie. The wind picked up, so I decided head back to the apartment. Matty was probably already sleeping.

On top of it all, he's been working double shifts. I hate to say that I feel kind of sorry for him, but in all honesty I do. If I put myself in his shoes, I'd be miserable.

My phone rang when I was about a block away from the apartment complex. Hastily, I pulled it out and was surprised to see who's name was flashing on the screen.

Vic was calling.

I took a deep breath before even comprehending on whether I should answer. And when I did, that deep breath didn't make a difference, I was panicked in a split of a second.

"I made a choice."