Assistants and Dearest

XXXIV

"I made a choice." Vic said before I could even greet him. I kept silent, trying to think of what I should say or do.

"W-What?" I questioned, still surprised he'd call me so late.

"I made a choice, Kellin..."

"You're going to tell me over the phone?" I asked him irritably. This wasn't just an issue.

This was me with or without him.

"No, of course not. You know I'm not like that. Come over?"

"It's late, I have work in the morning." It wasn't a lie, I was just stalling.

"Please." He retaliated. I heard the desperation in his voice.

"Fine, I'll be over in a few."

"Thank you." He said before I heard the dial tone, indicating he had hung up.

A knot formed in my stomach as I turned around and headed over to Vic's. Not only was I afraid of his answer, but also if his father was going to be there.

What's going to happen between Vic and his dad if he chooses me?

The walk was short, but not sweet at all. I fretted the whole entire time until I was facing him. Vic seemed nervous about the whole situation.

"I-Is something wrong?" I questioned immediately. Vic grabbed my hand and pulled me not into his house, but around it. He led off into their big backyard. "W-Where-"

"Shh." He interrupted, pulling me towards a small group of trees. He took a seat against the bark, so I sat across from him. Honestly, I was trying to zone into anything but this conversation. Slowly, I pressed my feet against his. Mine were a little bigger in length. I smiled, looking up to meet his gaze.

With a sigh, he straightened up a little, chuckling when his beanie stuck to the tree trunk. Both of us were obviously beyond nervous.

"So..." I invited him to begin the conversation.

"Okay." He said, fidgeting with his fingers. "I love you Kellin, I love the business also." He began, so I simply nodded. "And this is literally the toughest decision I've ever been asked to make. If I pick you, my dad is going to...pissed." He chuckled a little, but the moment grew tense shortly after. "If I pick the business, I assume you'll be sad."

"Well..." I was going to defend myself, but thereafter I realized he was right.

"But." He said, holding up his finger. "I found a loop hole."

"R-Really?" I asked in shock. He nodded.

"I'm going to choose the business."

☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

Vic

"You're....what?" Kellin asked, staring me dead in the eye. My heart broke.

"I know that sounds bad, but I have a plan." I said slowly, grabbing his hand. I saw little hope in his eyes though. "I'm picking the business because my pay will be sufficient. Then I can move out and you and I can continue-"

"You're putting me on hold?" He interrupted.

"Well...no, that's not what I mean. I just think it'll be easier if I choose...." I trailed off, trying to find the right words to say.

"I..." Kellin began, but ended up shaking his head. "I hate to say this, but I don't think I can wait for you Vic..."

"B-But, think about it! In the end we still-"

"I can't do that Vic." He said, biting down on his lip. "It hurts me enough to think about not seeing you at least once every couple of weeks. And if you're going to disappear for awhile, that's going to hurt. What if you come back, and we don't like each other anymore?" He questioned.

"You know that won't happen." I replied, surprised he actually believed I would just fall out of love with him.

"I don't know that Vic. If you want to choose the business, fine." He wiped his eyes quickly. "But I can't wait for you. You can't wait for me..." I shook my head as he began to stand up. I tried to latch onto his hand, but he yanked away shortly after.

"N-No, Kellin. Please can we just try this?" Tears began to form in my eyes.

I was losing him again.

"I'm sorry Vic, I just can't wait anymore." And with that, I watched him jog off my lawn. My hand dug into the trees bark. Tears fell from my eyes.

It was cold without him here. When I removed my hand, part of my palm was bleeding.

I walked inside hastily, hurrying off into the bathroom. My father appeared in the door way.

"What's wrong?" He asked calmly, looking at my palm. The water burned the mark on my skin. I cringed in pain.

"Every things wrong." I yelled angrily. "I can't believe you made me choose!" I yelled again, drying my hands before wiping at my eyes.

"Vic-"

"Don't" I seethed, shoving past him and up the stairs. I intruded my room, slamming the door behind me.

I laid down on the bed, pulling all of my covers over myself. I wanted to suffocate under here.

My mind filled with images of Kellin and I. Could I even fucking survive without him?

I was naive to think he'd be okay with waiting for me. Who would be? You can't disappear out of someones life for awhile and pop back up. Everything would've changed by then.

The thought of Kellin moving on enraged me. Though I created this problem on my own. I knew I shouldn't have signed the contract.

With a loud huff, I threw the blankets off of me and got out the bed. I paced back and forth, digging my hands through my hair, tugging at it aggressively. I squeezed my eyes shut as pain coursed through my whole head.

I tried to control my anger, I really did. But there was too much to contain. I ripped at my hair, pulling locks of it arduously. My mouth hurt from gritted teeth, and a migraine was quick to come into effect. I screamed, smashing my hand down on the table before me. A glass fell off the edge, shattering over the floor.

I smacked the papers onto the floor, shredding some in half. Tears dripped from my eyes ats I saw what was happening.

I couldn't stop myself.

"Vic? Vic w-what-" I heard Mike ask from the door way. I continue to bash my fist on the table. Shards of glass dug into my hand. Tears never came any faster.

I felt Mike's figure try to pin my arms back. A sob escaped my lips as I thrashed, but there was no way I could win against Mike. He pulled my arms back, locking my wrists together before pulling me onto the bed. I shook my head profusely, willing him to let me go.

Sobs came out with uneven breaths, making my headache worse. I was in agony.

"Shh, shh...Calm down Vic just-"

"What the hell is going on?" I heard my father asked from the door.

"Fuck you." I screamed at him, trying with the little energy I had to get out of Mikes grip. He didn't even budge.

"Go away." Mike said frantically to my father. "V-Vic please calm down...I'm scared." The thought of my brother being scared calmed me in a split second. I quit thrashing. I quit trying to escape against his figure. I coughed before Mike let go. Without a second hesitation, I buried myself into a pillow which quieted my uneven sobs.

"Why are you crying?" Mike asked softly, placing his hand on my arms.

"I really fucked up." I weeped. "I signed the contract."

"F-For the business?"

"I chose the wrong thing." I turned over, looking at Mike. His eyes drooped. He was obviously tired.

"I chose the one thing I didn't truly love." I added on slowly, squeezing my eyes shut.