Assistants and Dearest

XXXIX

Vic

I opened eyes to see green everywhere. It took me a few moments to realize where I was, but quickly it all came back to me. Last night more specifically. I turned my head to the side to see Kellin sound asleep adjacent to me. I must've stayed up until he fell asleep.

"Kellin..." I whispered softly, nudging him. He stirred for a bit before opening his eyes. I watched him intently. "Are you going to talk?" With a small yawn he nodded.

"...I guess. What is there to talk about?"

"Us."

"There is no us..." He concluded.

"I don't want it to be over." I admitted, grabbing his hand.

"U-Um well... It is. So just... Forget about it." He pulled away, causing me to sigh. He was so aggravating sometimes. Kellin stood up.

"Don't leave yet." I pleaded.

"I have to, bye Vic." He waved. I knew even though he was leaving now it wasn't the last time I'd see him. I watched him walk off the lawn without turning around back to me. With a sigh, I got up and headed inside.

"Where we you?" My dad questioned immediately. "You weren't with Kellin were you?" I bit down on my lip.

"...No. I camped out." Kellin would be so mad at me right now.

"Let's go to work, you start in three days." And with that we headed out the door again, leaving no time to get ready.

☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

The work day went by slower than usual. I yawned half of the time my dad was explaining things. Something clicked in my head immediately.

I was yawning and I was beyond bored, but it wasn't because I was tired. I slept good, but uncomfortably. I was bored because... I didn't like all this learning. In three days I'd be doing this almost every day. I sighed, agitated with myself.

My father went home early, leaving me to my usual routine. I nded up staying a bit later, but not because of the work. I stayed late because I wanted to be alone just to think about things.

When I first signed the paper indicating I agreed to take responsibility for the business, I wasn't thinking right. I assumed Kellin would say yes and things would work out perfectly. Little did I know at the time that this would add up and create such chaos and stress. It's one thing to see this job in a perspective as a bystander, but now I was in my fathers shoes. Now I knew why his hair was becoming grey quickly. I knew why he was always in a bad mood after work, and why he never wanted to make us dinner.

And that's going to be now?

My eyes gazed at all the papers laying on my desk that I had yet to sort. I know work is work, but this job used to be... Fun so a certain extent. Now I was unhappy and bored with this. I was changing. I realized then and there that this isn't what I wanted.

I didn't want to be like my dad, no matter how much money I'd be earning. Earning money is a big deal, don't get me wrong. But I want to earn money doing something that I love, and this isn't it.

I loved this when I was a teenager. Now I realize I shouldn't stay in that period of my life. There's much more out there just waiting for me to conquer.

A smile slipped onto my lips at the thought of leaving this place. The possibility didn't sound too bad. Hastily, I got up and left the building, getting home quicker than ever. I knew who I needed to talk to right now.

"Mike?" I called my brother's name while knocking on his door. He opened it a few seconds later.

"Is everything okay?" He asked immediately.

"Everything is fine, please don't worry about me anymore." I begged, which caused him to nod, but keep quiet. "It's about the business." I began, walking in and taking a seat in his desk chair. "I signed the contract because as you know I had a great idea which... Wasn't too great. But anyways, today I realized something. Running the business isn't what I want, it's what dad wants. Hell, he never even asked me if I wanted to run the business. Sure at the time I would've said yes, but I really regret agreeing to this."

"Can you get out of it?"

"Yeah... If I sell the business." I bit my lip. If it were easy selling that place, I'd sell in a heart beat. But it's trickier than that.

"Have dad do it." Mike suggested.

"I take over in like... Three days. He wouldn't do that." Mike sighed.

"I'm sorry." He apologized.

"It's not your fault, maybe I can find a different way or something. I just really want to be with Kellin and-"

"You really love him, don't you?" Mike interrupted. Slowly, I nodded solemnly. "Then fuck it." He said with a small grin. "If you love him and want him, sell the business. Do it fast, don't worry about it. Just do what feels right." He poked me, causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

"Little brothers always are." I scuffed his hair before standing up and stretching.

"Thanks bro." I waved before shutting his door and heading downstairs. There was still one person I needed to talk to about this, right here and right now.

My dad.

I knew exactly where he was and what he was doing most likely. He was in his office going over the papers for me in a few days.

Without knocking, I barged in causing him to jump.

"Sorry..." I muttered.

"You almost gave me a heart attack, I'm kind of busy."

"So am I, but I need to talk to you." For a second I thought he was going to kick me out, but to my dismay he put the papers down for once and looked at me. I could tell he wanted this to be fast, but I wasn't going to rush what I had to say.

"I don't want to run the business." My father's eyes bared into mine.

"You're kidding right?" He chuckled at me, but my expression was monotone. "Funny, funny now run along."

"No. I'm serious." He looked back up from his papers, removing his glasses.

"Why?" Was the first thing he asked.

"I thought this is what I wanted, but I just realized that this was a dream... But not a goal. I didn't really think it through when I said yes." I explained.

I saw the fine line between dreams and long-term goals. When I was younger I thought they were the same thing, but they really aren't. We all have dreams and some of us have goals. You won't stop at anything to get to your goal, but dreams have boundaries. My boundary is Kellin.

"It's short notice Vic... This is what you want to do and-"

"This is my choice, and I don't want this." I interrupted. He clenched his jaw before speaking again.

"Well it's too late, you signed the contract and now you have to work at least one term."

"And how long is that?"

"Two years."