Assistants and Dearest

XXXXI

"Are you ready?" Rian asked me from the other side of my door.

"Y-Yeah... I think so." I replied nervously, fixing my red tie. This was uncomfortable. "Do I look okay?" I asked after opening the door separating us.

"You look fine, but we need to go." Rian latched onto my arm before dragging me down my hall. My dad still didn't know what was going on, not yet anyways.

"Where are you going?" My dad ask when we met him in the living room. There was no clever way to hide this. A random man with a briefcase, and both of us in suits.

"I'm going to court." I said bravely, swallowing all the fear in me. My father quirked his eyes brows in confusion.

"I'm sorry... W-What?" For once he didn't seem agitated, just utterly confused.

"I found a way out of the business, and I'm going to do all that I can do to get out of this chain or whatever you think it is." I explained. Yeah, now he was agitated.

"Not without my permission you're-"

"He's over 18." Rian interrupted, handing my father a paper. My dad glared at Rian before scanning the paper. With a sigh, he left the room. I smiled brightly. "Let's go." Rian suggested a few moments later. I nodded before we headed out the door and got into his car.

The drive to the courthouse has about forty-five minutes, but it wasn't too bad. We talked a lot, though the conversation was constricted. I was bad when it came to talking to new people I guess. Eventually we pulled into what seemed to be a very busy parking lot.

"Are all these people here f-for us...?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers. It was the least to say that I was nervous.

"No, don't worry. There is multiple cases set for today." A sigh of relief fell from my lips. Thank god.

Rian and I grabbed out belongings before opening the big doors and stepping inside of what seemed to be a big, long hallway. Rian led me up the stairs and down another hallway before we stood outside of a big door.

"Just remember, don't speak unless the judge asks you to, and don't. Act. Nervous." He explained slowly. I couldn't guarantee that I'd stay calm, but with a deep breath I nodded.

The doors opened and we walked in. Rian led me to our table, on the left side of the court. Diagonal to us was the jury, who's eyes scanned Rian and I, and the manager. I guess I never got his name.

The judge spoke at least ten minutes later. We were told to tell our cases one by one. Rian informed me not to tell anyone about Kellin though. Why? I'm not sure, but I wasn't going to ask. I just explained that there were other places i wanted to be and this wasn't what I wanted. Everything went along smoothly, but by the end of the three hour case, I was biting my nails to the cuticle. I looked at the jury with worry and hope flooding my eyes. What would happen if they said I was guilty? I'd have to run the business for two years? Rian patted my back as we watched everyone in the jury chatter. Eventually, a man in his mid twenties stood up from his seat and picked up a microphone. Tears formed in my eyes, but I held them back.

I don't know what I would do if he says guilty. I'll cry, I'll be angry. But business wise? Everything would go to hell.

"We here by find that Victor Vincent Fuentes verdict is...not guilty." The man sat back down. A tear fell from my eyes as I suddenly hugged Rian. Hastily, I pulled away before coughing and blushing.

"And I will not be testifying. Your franchise really needs to make an easier way to get out of these businesses, because we see you in court too often. Case closed." The judge said directly to the manager before standing up from his seat and leaving the room.

"You're out!" Rian said excitedly. I smiled, and for once it felt like I actually accomplished something. There was no sadness in my smile. We won, I wasn't an employee for my father anymore. "And the best part... You get your incomes right now." Rian said before snickering.

"R-Really? Now?!" I asked excitedly. I was getting my money from my bank account? I guess it made since, if I wasn't going to work there anymore then my bank account for work was going to be closed. All I knew was I was allowed to use that money now for whatever I wanted.

My dad always said to use your money wisely, and boy was I going to. I knew exactly what I was going to spend part of the money on.

We left the court room about an hour later before heading to the bank where they gave me literally a case full of money. My dad always handled my money, so it surprised me to see just how much money I've earned over the past few years.

Rian took me home, but informed me he needed to leave right away due to the fact he took on another case. I thanked him once again before shutting the passenger side door. My father was still home. Silently and slowly, I opened the door. My father stood on the other side.

"How was the case?" He asked, folding his arms over his chest. I set the case on the table before unlocking the hinges and opening it.

"We won." I stated. He looked me dead in the eye, but this time I didn't look away.

"So... What are you going to do with the money?" He asked me slowly, not looking away. I broke the eye contact to gaze at the money before me. I thought about my decision for a few minutes. My father waited for me patiently. I felt his eyes linger on me until I looked back up to him. I knew what I wanted now, I was utterly sure of myself.

"I'm going to move out." I said promptly.

"You're sure?" He questioned.

"I'm sure." And with that, my father nodded before exiting the room. He didn't seem mad, nor disappointed.

The situation in front of me was much more rewarding than in the court. I finally stood up against my dad, and finally... I won.