Assistants and Dearest

VI

"I wonder what happens after I die." I said, peering out from behind the bleachers.

"Quit acting so theoretical about it." Oli said, coughing shortly after. I laughed.

"Sorry, I just wander off sometimes..."

"What are you thinking about?" Oli asked, his hazy eyes meeting mine.

"Just...my latest problems." I replied, taking another puff.

"And what are those problems?"

"You act so concerned when you're high." Oli laughed, breath reeking of alcohol and weed.

"I am concerned, just tell me!" He nudged me, causing me to fall backwards. I glared at him before erupting in laughter.

"Alright...At my workplace, my boss, or my boss's son..."

"Alright, continue. This isn't some dramatic movie." He took another puff of his joint. I laughed, repeating his actions.

"He's very cute, and I've tried to be flirtatious, nice, anything I know, and he still doesn't seem to be interested. Also, Matty called me..."

"That fucking prick! I'll fucking kill him." Oli stammered angrily.

"Don't, he's not worth it." Silence.

"So, this guy you like, what's his name?"

"Vic..." I huddled into my jacket.

"Sounds sexy." Oli popped his lips as he exhaled the smoke.

"Very..." I chuckled and shook my head. "I'm not good enough for him."

"Bullshit." Oli spat. "You're an amazing guy, if anything he doesn't deserve you!"

"I'm a lazy guy who smokes weed and flirts with any cute guy I see. That's far from amazing."

"What's he like?" Oli asked, changing the subject.

"He's a business guy obviously. Uptight, stern. Lame, I don't know why I like him so much." Oli laughed.

"Just wait Quinn, he'll be wrapped your finger in no time." He winked, before standing up and walking out from under the bleachers. "Gotta run mate, see you again." He gave me a smile and wave before hurrying off the field.

"Bye." I muttered, coming out from under as well, walking slowly towards the sidewalk. It was dark, so only the street lights were guiding me. I had work in the morning, and I was torn between wanting to go and not wanting to go.

If I went, I had the benefit to see Vic, but if I didn't go I wouldn't have to deal with any ones attitude. Plus, I'm high as fuck right now, so it's probably going to be ugly in the morning.

So, no show it is.

☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

I woke up because the sun shined through my window which was not blinded. My eyes squinted as I shut the blinds quickly, desperate to make my room dark again. When I succeeded, I laid back down, staring at the blank ceiling. The clock said eight, so I should've been heading to work by now. Of course, I wasn't going to go. No explanation either, I just want to be alone.

Last night came back to me, and I then felt sick to my stomach. Why the hell did I do it again? I told myself I'd stop doing drugs! And also, I told myself Oli is not my friend, he's a fucking drug dealer. Though, he does seem reasonable sometimes, but whatever. My face scrunched up in disgust as I began to taste the weed on the back of my tongue.

In the bathroom, I brushed my teeth and tongue, flushing out the nasty aftertaste. I hate myself. My phone rang, so I answered, not really checking who it was.

"Hello?" I answered, sitting my toothbrush down.

"Kellin? Where are you?" It was Vic. I smiled.

"O-oh, I can't come in today, I don't feel very good..."

"Oh, well...okay. You should've called me."

"Sorry, I just got up." I replied, yawning.

I heard him sigh. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Okay, bye." I hung up and went back to my bedroom, snuggling under the sheets so I could get a few more hours of sleep.

☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

Knock knock.

...

Knock knock.

"Kellin?" I jolted up, straight out of the bed. What was that? Oh, the door.

Groggily, I wandered to the door and opened it, meeting a concerned look of Vic.

"Vic? What are you doing here?" I said between a yawn and stretch.

"Well, you said you were sick, I just thought I'd...check in." I nodded and opened the door.

"Come in..." Fell out between another yawn.

"How do you feel?" He said, sitting down on the couch.

"Um...okay." I said, which wasn't a lie. The lie was that I was sick.

"Good, good. So, uh, I did your work today."

"Thanks..."

"Can we just be friends?" Vic randomly blurted out.

"I thought we were." I said thoughtfully.

"Well yeah, but I mean, the flirting needs to stop and-"

"No promises." I interjected, smiling. Even though I knew he didn't want to, I still saw a small smile slip from his lips.

"I still don't understand you Quinn."

"Since when do you call me Quinn?" I took a seat next to him.

"Since now." We both laughed, and for once, I felt genuinely happy. "I'm sorry for being a prick to you Kellin."

"No worries, I do it a lot as well." He nodded, eyes catching mine. Do we do this every time?

The next thing I knew, I was facing him completely, filing towards him at a slow rate. I heard Vic take in a sharp breath, his eyes flicking back and forth between my lips and eyes. I stopped right before him. Pressuring him wasn't an option, if he wanted to kiss me, he would. Plus, he couldn't blame me later on.

Vic's eyes closed, his head tilting slightly. I waiting in anticipation.

"Inappropriate." He said, causing me to smile. His hand pressed against my chest, pushing me back before he stood up again. "I gotta get back to work, see you tomorrow."

"Bye." I said, following him to the door, locking it once his figure was gone. My back pressed against the door as I retraced back to a few moments ago. So close, yet so far.

I bit down on my lip, closing my eyes, savoring the image for the last moments I could imagine it. Vic Fuentes was cracking, and I knew it too well.