‹ Prequel: Tumble and Fall
Sequel: Hot Cocoa

Love So Sweet

Five

When Ryan had told her that the guys wanted the to go out that night, she assumed that meant Jordan, Justin, Taylor, and Roni, maybe one or two of the other new, single guys. What she walked into was at least half the team, some with their significant others.

"Off day tomorrow," Ryan explained. "I guess a few more people decided to come out since practice this morning."

They made their way through the crowd and over towards Taylor and Roni. The two women hugged and she passed Danni a drink and Taylor handed one to Ryan. As they chatted, Justin and Jordan joined them.

A couple of hours passed quickly as they were relaxing and having a good time talking and laughing. Justin had taken Danni out to dance with him and when a slow song came on, Ryan appeared, slipping an arm around Danni and spinning her away with him.

“No way I was letting Schultzy get that close to you,” he smirked.

“Jealous?”

“Of Justin? Hardly.”

She wrapped her arms around him tighter and leaned into him to kiss him. “Good; because it’s Ebs you gotta worry about anyway.” Danni giggled as Ryan shook his head and playfully spun away from her. She pulled him back and hooked her arm around him again. “I’ll try really hard not to leave you for Jordan, I promise.”

“I think I’ve been doing a pretty good job of keeping you for the last eighteen months.”

“That is very true. I don’t think anyone could be as good for me as you are.”

“What you’re saying is that I’m irreplaceable which is also very true.”

“So irreplaceable,” she teased.

“I think you’re irreplaceable.”

“Aww, Nugie!” She hugged him. “I love you, so much,” she whispered in his ear.

“I love you too, Danni.”

“Now let’s do shots.”

He laughed as she dragged him off the dance floor and to the bar. Justin joined them and she handed out shots to the two guys. “Bottoms up!” she exclaimed as she tipped her glass back. She swallowed and motioned to the bartender for another round.

“What are we drinking?” Benoit asked as he walked up.

Danni handed Ryan another shot which he passed to Benoit. “No idea but have at it," he told him. "I'm driving."

He nodded and clinked glasses with Justin and then Danni before tossing the drink back. “What the hell is that?”

“Dragons kiss,” Danni answered.”Fireball whiskey and cranberry. It’s good, right?”

“It’s something.”

“Whatever. It’s awesome, right Justin?”

“Right,” he replied while shaking his head no.

Danni shoved at him while she laughed. “Come dance with me, Schultzy.”

“Dance with Ryan. You killed me with those shots.”

“Ryan is uncoordinated for that and you know it. That’s why I have you.”

“I’ll dance with you,” Benoit offered, setting his glass down on the bartop and taking Danni’s from her, placing it beside his. “As long as Ryan doesn’t mind.”

Danni glanced to Ryan. Normally if she wanted to dance while they were out, she had Justin or Jordan for that, sometimes Taylor before he had started dating Roni. She had occasionally danced with a couple of the other guys, like Sam Gagner or Ryan Jones before they left the team but none of the guys who had come aboard since.

“Go dance,” Ryan found himself saying. He had never been possessive about Danni and didn't want to start now. He trusted her, knew it was just dancing and nothing else but still, even though he told her to go, he still pulled her into him and kissed her, tongue pushing into her mouth, marking her without words, leaving no doubt to anyone that could see them that she was his.

“Wow,” she whispered, touching her lips when he pulled back from her. He smiled.

“Gotta make sure you remember I'm irreplaceable.”

“Completely irreplaceable.”

“You two are gross,” Justin complained. “Quit being gross. Take her away Benny before Nuge does something gross again.”

“They are amoureux,” Benoit replied. “L'amour est une belle chose.”

“Unless you just said they’re gross, you’re wrong.”

Benoit chuckled. “It’s no wonder you’re single.” Danni burst out laughing and Justin pouted. “Shall we?” he asked, turning to Danni. She nodded and he extended his arm so she could pass in front of him. With a light touch at the small of her back, he guided her through the crowd to the dance floor.

When they reached the dance floor, he moved her where he wanted her, her back to his front and a hand at her hip. Danni found dancing with Benoit easy, his touch light and his movements fluid as her hips matched his sway.

“Those boys spoil you,” he said close to her ear, leaning over to compensate the difference in their height.

“They do, but I took care of them first so they’re just returning the favor,” she replied, turning to face him. She looked up at his face, those eyes watching and searching hers. “Once they figured out I could cook, all bets were off.”

“Smart, beautiful, and you cook? What don’t you do, Danni?”

She blushed. “I don’t play hockey, at least not as good as Ryan.”

“I bet you are very good at it.”

“Not really but I’m working on it.”

“Practice makes perfect, right?”

“Maybe for you big, tough hockey players but I’ll stick with teaching fourth graders.”

“Something else I’m sure you’re very good at."

“I don’t think I’m bad at it.”

“I’d love to come in and meet your class one day.”

“Oh, thank you, that’s kind....”

“Don’t break my heart again petit bijou,” he said.

“Again?”

“Again,” he confirmed. “Sitting in the floor of the family lounge with two little girls, coloring, while looking like a million dollars? I thought the perfect girl had just fallen straight out of heaven. Turned out she was already taken by one of my teammates.”

She blushed. “What does petit bijou mean?”

“Little jewel.”

“Oh.”

He studied her for a moment. “I make you nervous."

“A little. You’re just so....”

“Handsome?” he suggested.

“I was going to go with smooth.”

“Yeah, I’ll take that.”

“You’re nothing like Danny, or Claude. Well, he’s kind of a slut and maybe you are too, I don’t know. Oh! And Sean; he’s so shy.”

“You ramble when you’re nervous.”

“You’re really pretty though and that’s not fair.”

He laughed. “Who are Danny and Claude and Sean?”

“Briere and Giroux and Couturier.” He stopped moving at the casualness of her announcement. “So when Danny got traded to the Flyers, he bought the house next door to my parents. I used to babysit his boys. I was at college when Claude lived with him but I met him and Scott Hartnell a couple summers ago. And Sean I met when I came home over Christmas break or something, I don’t really remember. We never talked much though; that wasn’t until after Ryan and I started seeing each other. Anyway, I was at home the last few days and I saw them too. Well, Claude and Sean at least. And Wayne. I got to meet him too.”

“You’re rambling again,” he said, cupping her chin between his thumb and forefinger.

“Sorry.”

“It’s cute.” She blushed. “That’s cute too,” he teased her.

“You shouldn't say thing likes that. I’m with Ryan.”

"I know."

"So then why do you say those things?"

“I don't mean them like that, I promise, petit bijou. If you don't want me to, I won't but I only mean them as a friend. I could use a friend here."

"Friends I can do. Personally I think you just like making me blush though and seeing what will get that reaction."

"True, but I think mostly I just have to say French things to you for that to happen."

"You're a flirt."

"You're not? I've seen you with your boys."

"I've known Taylor, Jordan, and Justin for as long as I have Ryan. They're my family here. But I suppose there's always room for more when you're choosing your family."

He chuckled. "Come on, let’s go find your boyfriend.” Danni nodded her agreement and let Benoit lead the way back to the others. “I brought your petit bijou back, safe and sound. Thank you for letting me borrow her,” he said to Ryan as Danni slipped in at his side, hugging him around the middle.

“You better not be replacing me with the frenchie,” Jordan complained as he passed Danni her drink. “I’m the only single one in our group; I need you Danni.”

“Hey, I’m single too,” Justin spoke up.

“No you’re not. You love Jessie, we all know you love Jessie, and we’re just waiting for you to fix things with her.”

“I get enough grief from Danni about this; I don’t need it from you too.”

“Too bad. You need to get your head out of your ass and get your girlfriend back. Ask Benny for some slick French to woo her."

"Does that work?" Justin asked, turning expectantly to Danni.

"Does what work?"

"French. Will that woo you?"

Danni blushed. "Why don't you just tell her that you love her? That's probably all she needs to hear."

"But in French, right?"

"You are hopeless Justin Schultz. Just call her, tell her you're sorry even if you don't think it's your fault and that you love her and miss her and beg her to forgive you and come back here. It's that simple."

"It is?"

"Yes!"

"Your girlfriend only wants to know you care," Benoit advised. "So make sure she knows that. In any language."

"So I should send flowers?"

"Flowers never hurt. You know what her favorite is?"

"Umm.... I think it's white roses. She said something once."

"Go to a florist tomorrow and they'll help you figure out the rest; I'll even meet you there if you want," Danni offered.

"Thanks, Danni," he smiled gratefully. "I'll buy you lunch."

"Now that we've mostly sorted out Justin's love life, can we work on Jordan's next?" Ryan spoke up. "It'd be great if I didn't have to share my girlfriend with all of you when we go out."

"Jealous much?" Justin said. "Maybe you should learn French too."

Danni slapped the back of his head and shot him with a withering glare. "Shut up or I won't help you."

"Liar. You like Jessie better than me and want her to come back."

"Yeah, that's true." The other guys laughed.

"I still wouldn't cross her though," Jordan spoke up. "She might not ever make you that fancy grilled cheese sandwich again."

"Fancy grilled cheese?" Benoit questioned.

"Danni, you gotta have Benny over for dinner," Jordan said. "He can't go through life without having it. Look at how scrawny he is."

Benoit lifted the hem of his shirt, flashing a glimpse of his abs with a smile. "I'm wasting away, petit bijou."

She blushed, turning her face into Ryan with a giggle. "I'll think about it," she finally answered, looking at Benoit and then Jordan.

"Make sure to invite me over too when you do," Jordan added.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry that I've been so slack on updating this week. It's been a hectic one. Hopefully this makes up for it a bit.