‹ Prequel: Tumble and Fall
Sequel: Hot Cocoa

Love So Sweet

Eight

Danni nearly slept through her alarm on Monday morning, content in Ryan's arms. She silenced it and turned so she faced him, smiling happily to herself before burrowing in closer to him.

Ryan woke slowly, aware of Danni's alarm going off but really wishing this was one of those times he had a girlfriend that didn't work so he could play hooky with her all day.

They both were more responsible than that though, and Danni would never be happy as a kept woman. He appreciated that about her, knew she loved him for him, and not his name or his connections, or his contract. He knew she'd be happy with him no matter what he did and that she'd stick by him through anything.

Ryan pressed a sweet kiss to her temple. "You gotta get up."

"I know but it's really nice right here."

"Why don't I stop by today and have lunch with you and your class?"

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to though. I like coming to your school."

"That's because you're a teachers pet."

He rolled over her, pinning her arms above her head. "I always wanted to be teacher's pet." He leaned in to kiss her.

“Goody two shoes,” Danni teased him.

“So me and Justin will see you around eleven thirty then?"

She giggled. "Yeah, I'll see you guys then."

~*~*~


After practice, Ryan showered and dressed and walked over to Justin.

"Hey."

"What's up, Nuge?"

"Do you wanna go with me to eat with Danni's class? I told her I was coming after practice."

"Oh man, you know I'd go any other day but I told Nail and a couple of the other guys I would go to lunch with them. I can cancel though."

"No, you don't have to do that." He looked around the room and spotted Benoit. "Hey, Benny, what are you doing for lunch?"

Benoit looked up at Ryan in surprise. The last thing he expected was a lunch invitation from him. "Uh, well, I don't have plans."

"Do you want to go with me to Danni's school? I was going to have lunch with her class."

"She won't mind?"

"She knows I'm coming. I told her I'd bring Schultzy but I'm pretty sure she'd rather have you over him."

"Hey!" Justin exclaimed. "Danni loves me."

"But she's not your petite bijou," Ryan shot back with an affected French accent.

Benoit chuckled. "Your French could use work."

"Probably," Ryan agreed easily.

"You're sure?" He asked.

"She told me that you're like a big brother and I think I'm okay with that so if you want to come with me, I think that would be cool."

"Ok, I'll go. Thank you for inviting me."

"Do you want to ride with me or follow?"

"I'll ride with you."

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah, let's go." He grabbed his wallet, keys, and cell phone and followed Ryan out to his truck. As Ryan pulled out of the parking lot, he spoke again.

"Just so you know, I do think of Danni like a sister. When I didn't know she was with you, I thought maybe I'd have a shot if I charmed her but the first time I saw her with you, I knew I didn't have a chance. It's obvious how much she cares about you; it doesn't have to be said. I never meant to cause trouble for you."

"I know you didn't and I should've just talked to you when it bothered me."

"Danni's great; you're lucky to have found each other. She's one of the nicest people I've met and she's genuine. That's rare. The way she cares about you and the other guys is not something you're likely to find again. Cherish her. That's my only advice. If you don't, I'll have to kick your ass."

"I will, for a long time I hope."

"Have you talked about marriage?"

"No, but I've thought about it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I know we're both still young but she's the one I want to spend my life with."

"I'm pretty sure she feels the same way; otherwise she might not have given you so much shit last night."

Ryan blushed sheepishly and Benoit chuckled. "When it's right, you just know and age doesn't mean anything. Just don't lose her; that is a regret no one should have to live with."

"Do you? I mean, was there someone?"

"There was but I screwed up and I took it for granted. There's never been anyone like her since."

"You know, Danni is kind of good at helping fix things. She got Jessie to forgive Justin the first time, and she helped Roni come around about Taylor."

"Danni is a sweet soul, and I'm sure she'd love to fix my love life but Cary is a tough girl with a hard exterior to get past. That's probably why I liked her so much to begin with. She was a challenge; she challenged me but once I got past her walls, it was worth it."

"Where did you meet?"

"Boston."

"So it's been awhile since you've seen her?"

"It had been until last week. I saw her at the grocery store here but I didn't say anything to her. Just watched her. I'm positive she doesn't want to talk to me."

"You should've tried."

"Maybe but I'm pretty attached to my balls and I think she would have kicked me pretty hard in them if I had."

"You must have really screwed up."

"Yep, and all the groveling in the world isn't going to fix it."

They moved on to talk about some of their upcoming games for the rest of the ride. When Ryan pulled into the parking lot, a woman just outside the front door waved at them.

"That's Roni, Taylor's girlfriend. You've met her before, right?"

Benoit glanced back at her. "I think she had less paint on her face when I met her."

Ryan laughed. "I think Roni likes her job more than the kids. Have you been at the Ference's house?"

"Yeah, a couple times."

"The landscape above their fireplace is one of Roni's. Krista bought it at a local gallery before Roni met Taylor. And she did some custom pieces for Stella and Ava's bedrooms. I'm having her do the Philly skyline for Danni's Christmas present."

Roni approached the truck as soon as Ryan pulled into a space and parked. "Hi!" She greeted the two of them. "This is a surprise."

"I told Danni I'd bring Justin but I did one better," Ryan smiled as Roni hugged him.

"I'm proud of you," she said softly to him. "It takes a big man to show that he's secure in his relationship to bring him along. You done good, Nuge."

"Thanks, Roni."

"So, Benoit, you ever had lunch with a bunch of fourth graders before?" Roni asked.

"I have not. Should I be scared?"

"Probably," Roni laughed as she slipped her arm through his.

She led them inside and to the office to get them signed in as visitors before leading them on to the cafeteria.

Ryan smiled to himself as he walked through the doors and heard the din of the room fall quiet. He spotted Danni and moved towards her. "Hey," he grinned before kissing her cheek.

"Hey. That's not Justin."

"No it isn't. But Justin was busy so I invited Benny instead. I didn't think you'd mind. I even told Justin you like him better."

Danni laughed. "Bet he didn't like that."

"Of course not. He thinks he's got dibs on you."

"Only you've got dibs."

"I know."

"Allô petite bijou," Benoit greeted her. Danni hugged him.

"Hello to you too. Do you have any idea what you've been roped into?"

"No. But they're kids. How bad can it be?"

Roni and Danni exchanged a look and laughed. "My kids last year were impressed by Ryan. This years crew not so much. But maybe you can win them over with your French."

"Or those eyebrows," Roni smiled. "God you're pretty."

"Roni!"

"What? He is. Even Taylor thinks so."

Danni giggled. "You and Taylor would discuss the teams overall hotness. Did he put himself first?"

"Of course. He's Taylor Hall, cockiest boy I've ever met."

"Come on," Danni said, taking Ryan's hand. "Let's get you two something to eat. I can tell a few of the kids are dying to meet you and brag to their dad's about eating lunch with two of the Oilers."

Ryan was a natural with the kids and Benoit followed his lead. He had been on visits to children's hospitals but never a school. The differences were obvious but he found himself having a good time with the kids.

After lunch, they went with Danni back to her class and helped out for an hour while the kids worked on math and science. Before they left, Danni stopped him, squeezing his hand.

"Thanks for coming today. That was really nice of you."

"I had fun," Benoit admitted. "This was different but I'm glad Ryan invited me."

"Me too. And the girls loved you so I'm sure they're glad too."

He chuckled. "What can I say? Mesdames love me."

"I should introduce you to the French substitute. At least she would know what you're saying."

"Maybe you should bring her to the next home game with you and Roni then."

"Maybe I will."