Status: r e b o o t ;

Don't Write Me Off

[t w o]

......Nine o'clock came faster than I thought it would and I still had yet to pick an outfit for tonight. When Milla had left to run errands, she informed me that all of our old friends would be at Eric Halvorsen's apartment for a party to welcome the guys back from their American Candy tour. I spent the last ten minutes turning my closet and drawers inside out, trying to find something to wear even though the little black dress with lacey sleeves I was wearing to dinner earlier was perfectly fine. It definitely highlighted my curves.

"Why do you need to change?" asked my little sister Cassie. She stood at my bedroom doorway with her arms crossed. "It's not like you need to impress John anymore."

I rolled my eyes annoyed. "I'm not changing to impress him. I just don't feel comfortable going in this." That was a complete lie. I had absolutely no idea why I wanted to change so badly.

She cocked her eyebrow as if to say 'whatever' and turned away, shaking her head. "Well, hurry up. We're leaving in five minutes."

Sighing deeply and on the verge of admitting defeat, I began to follow in her direction when my eye caught sight of the small piece of sparkling purple material peeking out from the rail of dresses in the closet. I immediately became livid, but then smiled vengefully when an idea popped in my brain.

Grabbing the dress, I swiftly changed into it and examined myself in the vanity with the feeling that the outfit was missing a little something. Ignoring Cassie's persistent calls to hurry up, I quickly applied smoky eyeshadow, winged eyeliner, and purple shimmering lipstick. I released my long brown strands from its tight bun and ironed them into soft waves. Grabbing my black clutch, the jewelry box, and the rest of the envelopes, I stole one last look in the mirror and proudly smirked. John may have been too busy to see me that night, but boy he will see me now.

The drive to Halvo's was a quick one since he didn't live too far away, but it was quiet in the car with the exception of The 1975 flowing from the speakers. I had half-expected the radio silence since dinner was the same; mom and dad did most of the talking, Cassie would occasionally throw me a forced smile before presuming her stare at her food, and Trevor never once looked at me. I guess I couldn't blame him; John's his best friend.

The minute I stepped through the front door, I heard from the couch, "No fucking way."

A small smirk crept across my face as I looked at Brian Dales staring at me with his mouth wide open. "It's nice to see you too, Brian."

One by one all heads turned to me and suddenly my name was being shouted from every direction while dozens of pairs of arms were thrown around my neck for hugs. My eyes began to well up and my smirk melted into a genuine smile because it was only now that I realized how much I missed this group of hooligans. Peeking through the mass of warm bodies around me, I caught sight of John standing in the far corner with my brother and a solemn expression etched in his adorable face.

Suddenly, Jess Bowen, Jasmyn Troncoso, Tessa Arias, Falyn Snyder, Jackie Bassett, and the Olsen Twins pulled me into the kitchen and I spent the next hour or so answering the many questions they spewed at me and catching up on the last three years. Afterwards, the guys hounded me about all my hot, single friends back in Austin.

I felt a tap against my upper arm and I looked to my left, seeing Milla nudge her head towards the living room. My laughter quickly subsided when I came across Trevor, Jared, and John deep in conversation and giving me occasional, obscure glances.

"Now is a good time as any," Milla whispered.

Nodding my head, I sighed deeply and called for everyone's attention. Nick Santino lowered the music and the room fell quiet as I walked to each individual and handed them an invitation with their name on it, John being the last. Everyone glanced at their envelopes with confusion, some of them looking at the ones of the people next to them. No one opened theirs, but rather, they all simply stared at the front of the envelopes with their names addressed on it.

Garrett was the first to speak up. "Lexie, this isn't a..."

I nodded excitedly and smiled briefly. "I'm engaged."

No one said anything at first and I quickly became worried. Everyone stared at me in shock before they finally offered hugs and their congratulations and promises to attend the wedding. John on the other hand, quietly slipped away to the porch and leaned against the wooden beam. I waited for the party to resume before following him, concealing the small jewelry box in my hands.

"Hey," I softly greeted, appearing to his right.

His invitation was in both hands as he stared at it unnervingly. "I would say congratulations, but then that would mean I'm okay with this. And I'm not."

I shifted my eyes around and began to prepare for the inevitable. "Please don't make this any more harder than it has to be, John."

"Make what harder?" he heatedly asked, tearing his gaze away from the envelope to look at me through fiery eyes. "You just told me you're engaged to another guy. How much harder can this get, Lex?"

Silently taking his wrist, I placed the the box in the palm of his hand.

His eyes quickly turned soft, realizing the sincerity of my intention to move on. "Lexie..."

"Sorry I took so long to return it ," I quietly said.

He squeezed the box and shook his head, pleading, "Can't we talk about this?"

I scoffed disbelievingly. "Now you want to talk."

"I've been trying to talk to you for the last three years," he stupidly argued. "I've called you, left messages, sent you letters-"

I angrily cut him off. "Oh I got them, John. I didn't answer because I didn't matter to you until I was no longer yours."

He opened his mouth to protest, but I didn't want to hear it.

"This is the dress I wore the night for our sixth anniversary," I said, taking a step back so he could get a good look of me. A wave of guilt rushed over his face and he fell quiet. "That night, you stood me up for the umpteenth time. That night, I decided I wasn't going to wait around anymore. That night, you lost me. For good."

Tears appeared at the brim of his eyes and he blinked them away as he found his voice once again. "Please give me another chance, Lexie. I love you."

My own tears had started to form and I slowly began walking backwards, shaking my head. "I love Zack. Goodbye, John."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's super short, but I really wanted to get this chapter out. There's about five more chapters already finalized & I really like how they're coming along, so please leave your thoughts <3

xoxo, Erika