Status: rewrite, rewrite, rewrite! still. it's an exercise in patience. for everyone.

Georgia Peach

folded up there, a memento

It had been nearly a week since John met Charlie. He managed to push the girl to the back of her mind and focus on other things, like writing the new record for his band and practicing and being a normal human being. Which required him to actually get out of the house, leading to him standing in the middle of an isle in a neighborhood grocery store.

He didn't need much, only the standard: milk, bread, alcohol. Maybe something like frozen pizza if he didn't feel like actually cooking or ordering out tonight. Somehow, his life became very, very boring. And shopping didn't take long, so he'd be back cooped up in his house, writing new material for hours on end.

John didn't ponder too long about it; he just gathered his few groceries quickly and made a bee-line for the check-out counter. It was easier, just sticking to routine. He wouldn't give up his life for anything; he was living his dream. The band was doing phenomenal and he was riding a long-term high on life. But still, it sometimes felt like something was missing.

That thought didn't last long enough to go anywhere. A red haired girl was at the Pharmacy, in shorts and a too-big t-shirt. John could tell from the sloppy ponytail that it was Charlie. He tried to make that not sound so creepy to himself and contemplated walking up to her. The pharmacist was going to be coming back to her, and he had just got done collecting his bag and case of cheap beer.

It was abnormal, for him to be so panicky about social interaction. The anxiety settled in his stomach as he made the rash decision to tap on her shoulder when he got closer. He didn't even remember walking over to the pharmacy.

Charlie jumped a little, a deep red blush taking over her face. The initial unease in her eyes faded slightly when she saw who is was tapping her shoulder, though not completely. She still looked heavily guarded, her shoulders tense.

"H-hey, John," she stuttered a little. John offered her a small smile, which she returned, just barely.

"Hey, Charlie," he said, not knowing what else to say. It turned out he didn’t have to, though, as Charlie began to speak

"I know I haven't called you or anything it's just that I've been kind of busy?" she said, it coming out more like a question. An excuse. John shrugged it off.

"It's no big deal-" he was cut off from a clearing of a throat from behind Charlie’s back. "Miss?"

Charlie turned to the pharmacist and grabbed the white bag she was holding. "Oh, thank you."

The pharmacist nodded solemnly and walked off to take care of other duties, and Charlie turned back to John, a timid look settled in her features. "Sorry, you were saying?"

"It's nothing," John said, running a hand through his hair. "Just, how about we meet for coffee? To tell me all about the things you've been doing that apparently take priority over calling your new friend?" He tried to smile charmingly, but he probably looked too tense to pull it off.

"Um, yeah," she said lightly, worrying her lip. John smiled sincerely. “I’ll, uh, text you?”

"Great, I'll see you then," he said brightly.

"Y-yeah," she stuttered out and waved at him as he went out the door. An awkward happiness immersed itself in John's stomach. He smiled on his way home, not even thinking that Charlie probably didn’t know anywhere in town to have coffee.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited from may 5th 2013
charlie

"im going to update!" i said. "im trying to get back into writing!" i said. lies. but whatever, at least the wait wasn't 2 years again. sorry its so short, i actually am writing this time.

anyway, thank you to xonyoursidex and arizonaskies for commenting and recommending and everyone for subscribing and reading! y'all are cool.

ok, you guys know the drill. read, comment, subscribe, recommend. what ever you see fit! also, follow me on tumblr for hockey, the maine, and intersectional feminism.