Canvas

1

He's leaning against the rail, a cigarette in hand, flicking the ashes over the edge. Matt's watching him, observing him while he can, before he turns around and scolds him for using him for inspiration.

"Artists are cruel," he'd tell him, dragging in a deep breathe of smoke. "They'll use you. Turn you into art for others to view. Exploit you."

Matt would frown. "You don't like my art then?"

"I don't like being the subject of your art. You'll paint a man smoking a cigarette, sitting by a window that oddly enough resembles ours..."

"Maybe it's a woman."

He'd scoff. "Yeah and maybe I'll quit smoking and get a haircut."

They'd laugh. Matt would still paint him.
-
He sounds poetic today, talking about the wind. "It's like a song," he says, "listen, you can hear it!"

Today, Matt paints using blue and shades of blue. Cold colours. He paints a man on the pier, hair blown by the wind.

He tries to write a poem about it, tries to put his thoughts and feelings into words, but instead, he creates poetry with his paintbrush.
-
Today, it's cold out. He's wearing a large coat, jeans, and a scarf that he doesn't bother to tie. His cheeks are tinted pink from the harsh wind. Matt adores when he looks like this. He's like a painting all his own.

Matt's being pulled along the pier by him. He doesn't mind being dragged around by him, never has.

It's quiet save for the howling wind and crashing waves. It's comforting and all Matt can seem to do is smile. He smiles when he watches him lean over the railing, watching the waves crash against the pillars with interest.

Today, he paints with warm colours to fend off the cold. He makes it warm.
He signs his name at the bottom and writes, "To Alex".
-
It's spring finally. Matt's in class, writing a poem and somehow, he ends up writing about him. He turns his features into metaphors and compares him things that are as beautiful as him, though he struggles with that part. He doesn't know of many things that are as beautiful as him.

He laughs because he knows he'll hate it when he reads it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alex/Matt makes my heart ache.
I wrote all this in class while listening to the enterity of Humbug. Originally posted on my AO3 [archive of our own] account (check it out: nickomalley).
Working on some Milex and Jamie/Nick at the moment.