The Siren of the Sea and the Lobster Boy

Just like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Jimmy was showing me around the Freak Show and introducing me to everyone there. The only people I liked were Ethel, Jimmy’s mother and Elsa. They were the type of women I could admire for both where so strong. I also got along with Jimmy for he was nothing but sweet to me. There were a few girls that would glare at me. Two of them were Bette and Dot Tattler, the Siamese twins, as well as Maggie Esmerelda, the fortune teller. It seemed to bug them that I was always around Jimmy, but it did not matter to me. For where ever I went he seemed to appear out of nowhere. I also have been seeing this strange man standing there and staring at me. He wears a clown outfit as far as I can tell, for when I look away and look back to where he once was standing, he’s gone. I get scared of him for I don’t know why he’s here or what he wants, but I know I will never find out. When I see him I walk away toward someone so I won’t be alone.
In the short while that I’ve been here Elsa has made me apart of her show. They built a tank for me so I can swim around and have the guest come watch me. They are calling me the Siren of the sea. When I told Elsa how I am able to turn back into a mermaid when I get wet, she was thrilled. After every show Jimmy is there with a towel to help dry me off and a big T-shirt to help cover my body. I blush every time he helps me for I’m still not use to any man looking upon my naked body. He seems to be mindful and looks away when I transform back into my legs.
It was a relatively normal day today. I was reading a book that I was able to get from the towns local library. Elsa allowed me to go, but I always had to have a chaperone with me. It was always Jimmy who went much to Maggie’s disappointment. There was something I did not like about her. I did not believe she was psychic, but it was my word against hers. I notice though Jimmy use to follow her around like a lost puppy at first, but then slowly he started to pull away. I guess it had to do with him spending more time with me. I heard yelling coming from my right and I looked up to see Jimmy walking away from Maggie. Dot and Bette where standing there with a smile on both their faces. I closed my book and sat it down in my lap as Jimmy came towards me and slumped down. He grabbed my book as he laid his head in my lap.
“The curious case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…didn’t you read this book not that long ago Tish?”
I rolled my eyes and pulled the book from his hands.
“I happen to like this story Jimmy boy. It kind of reminds me of what’s going on with me. The whole I’m normal one minute and then the next I’m a mermaid.”
“I don’t think that’s true Tish… I mean yeah you turn when you get hit by water, but you don’t turn all evil like Mr. Hyde.”
I stared off in the distance while my fingers ran through Jimmy’s hair. I feel like Jimmy is right but deep down I know I am evil. It kept eating me alive but something was preventing me from remembering. I felt Jimmy grabbed my hand stopping me from running my hands threw his hair. Jimmy sat up and looked at me.
“Morticia, is there something wrong?”
I shook my head and smiled at Jimmy. I was about to say something when Elsa came walking towards us.
“My beautiful Siren today is another show and you must get ready for our guest will be coming to see you.”
I looked at Elsa as she had a great big smile on her face.
“What’s with the big smile today Elsa?”
“Why my dear Jimmy, we have a sold out show of many people who have come to see our Morticia.”
Elsa clapped her hands together as she walked away from us. Jimmy leaned in and whispered to me.
“I bet you half those people are men who’ve come to drool over you.”
I smiled and hit Jimmy on the shoulder. “I highly doubt it Jimmy.”

I sat in my tank as I watched the people come up to get a closer look at me. Damn Jimmy and him being right. Of course half the audience would be men wanting to stare at me, the other where woman who glared at me for I was taking the attention off of them from their men. As the crowed slowly died down, I made my way to get out of the water. Jimmy was there with a towel on the platform waiting for me like he does after every show. I lift my arms as he helped me up onto the platform from the water. I grab the towel to start drying my body so I could change back.
“Simply stunning.”
I looked up to see a man standing there next to a woman. He was holding onto a pair of binoculars staring right at me. Jimmy quickly put a shirt over me to cover my naked body as my tail changed back into my legs.
“She is remarkably beautiful to say the least. I believe my son would like her for his own.” The woman spoke as she stared at Elsa who had her arms crossed.
“I told you and your son once before, I will not sell anyone to you. You cannot not have Morticia, nor Bette and Dot.”
The argument went on as Jimmy led me out of the tent towards his motor home. I went in first as he slammed the door behind him. I jumped as he paced around the room.
“Jimmy…What’s wrong? Please tell me.”
“I don’t know who he thinks he is or half of these men think they are. I hate how they look at you like you’re a piece of meat and they are starving animals wanting that piece for them!”
I put my hand on his shoulder hoping it would help calm him down just a bit.
“Jimmy, that’s all they are doing. Let them look at me. They did pay to come see me.”
“It’s not that Tish…It’s just the idea of a man looking at you. Let alone wondering what he is thinking about when he sees you. You’re beautiful as a mermaid but more stunning as a human.”
I smiled at Jimmy and hugged him.
“Jimmy I don’t know what I do without you in my life. You’re the best thing to happen to me.”
Jimmy wrapped his arms around me and held me to him.
“I’m glad I you came into my life.”
Outside of the motor home stood Maggie looking in on the siren and lobster boy with a glare. Maggie will find a way to remove this girl from the equation so she could have Jimmy back. She moved away and made her way into town. If there was one person to do it she know exactly who.