The Siren of the Sea and the Lobster Boy

Edward Mordrake

Jimmy was tossing and turning in his bed as the nightmare plagued his mind. He awoke with a start and looked around his room. He looked down next to him to see Morticia sleeping soundly next to him. He lied back down and pulled her close to him. The dreams have been coming more frequently each day. Dell would come and take Morticia away to his freak show. He would abuse her and even rape her. Jimmy would protect her even with his own life.
I awoke to movement next to me. I look up to see Jimmy staring at me. I smiled at him, but noticed the look on his face. I sat up looking down at him.
“What’s wrong Jimmy?”
“I had the dream again, but this time I saw him rape you more clearly.”
I placed my hand on his cheek. “Jimmy, this won’t happen. Dell is gone for good and you will protect me.”
“What if I’m not strong enough?”
I laid back down and pulled Jimmy into me. I had met Dell and Desire the first day I was brought here. I liked Desire but there was something about Dell I did not like. He would always stare at me with this look in his eye. He freaked me out like the Clown did, but Dell was around more. They left after a blow out with Elsa when Dell wanted me to do tricks like a sea lion. Elsa would not have it and they got into it. Jimmy pulled me away from the scene before I could see anything else.
“I believe in you Jimmy and I know you will protect me no matter what” I started to run my hand threw his hair and softly sang a poem I read by Edger Allen Poe. Soon Jimmy’s breathing slowed down showing me that he feel asleep.
Later on during the day I was walking towards the tent when I heard Ethel state that no one was performing today not even to rehearse. I watched as she left and turned o Jimmy who was sitting there staring at his mother leave.
“What was she talking about there, Jim?”
“Well my dear Tish it just so happens to be Halloween and there is a tale of Edward Mordrake.”
“Oh I know of that Jimmy, but why did your mom say again?”
“You see last year he was summed by Elsa and her rehearsing. We don’t want that happening again, now do we?”
Everyone shook their head no as in to reply to Jimmy. I smiled at Jimmy as he turned around and looked at me. I was about to say something when Maggie walked in. She made her way slowly to Jimmy and asked to talk to him privately while glaring at me. They both left leaving me alone in the tent by myself. I made my way to the stage and sat down at the piano. I stared at it before I started to just pluck some keys for fun. I thought back to my mother and wondered if she missed me. I started to think about Jimmy and how I came to conclusion that I was madly in love with my friend. I know he did not feel the same way for me since he had Maggie. I let the song start to come to life when I thought about Jimmy. Soon I started to sing
“I sense there's something in the wind
That feels like tragedy's at hand
And though I'd like to stand by him
Can't shake this feeling that I have
The worst is just around the bend

And does he notice my feelings for him?
And will he see how much he means to me?
I think it's not to be

What will become of my dear friend
Where will his actions lead us then?
Although I'd like to join the crowd in their enthusiastic cloud
Try as I may, it doesn't last
And will we ever end up together?

And will we ever end up together?
No, I think not, it's never to become
For I am not the one.”

I felt a sudden chill roll down my spine as I turned around to see a man standing there. He was wearing a long trench coat and a top hat. I stood up to see him walk slowly towards me. I turned to exit out to see him standing in front of me. I let out a scream and moved around him. I found myself climbing near my tank to see he too was climbing. In my mind I had no Idea why I trapped myself like this. I was not thinking straight. I did not know who this man was or what he wanted. I turned around on the platform to see him behind me. I slow backed up when I felt myself slip and I went tumbling into the water. I went under for a bit and just stood there hoping this man will leave me alone. I waited for a bit and made my way up. I saw he was not there and let out a sigh of relief that I was holding in. I let out a shrike when I felt a pair of arms pulled me out of the water. I fought with my captor only for them to speak.
“Morticia, hey calm down its me!”
I stopped fighting and looked to see Jimmy holding onto me.
“Jimmy, I’m sorry I thought…”
“You thought what? Tish are you oaky what wrong?”
“There was a man wearing a coat and a top hat and he…”
Jimmy helped me down the ladder and set me on the floor.
“Tish what are you talking about?”
“I think I summoned Edward Mordrake by accident.”
“How in hell did you do that Tish?!”
“I was just sitting at the piano and was plucking the keys, and then I thought of…my home and started to play the piano and sing a song. I guess by me performing he just came. I did not mean to.”
Jimmy held me close as I cried into his shoulders. I did not know what to do at all.
“Don’t worry Tish. Let’s get you to my room and turn you back. We’ll talk to my mom to see what we can do okay?”
I nodded my head as he picked me up and carried me back to his tent. I hope that Jimmy was right for I did not know what Edward wanted. I did not even think just by me playing around would summon him.
I sat on Jimmy’s bed as he went looking for his mother. I was staring at my tail when a green mist rolled in. I grabbed the towel and threw it over my tail to dry myself. I looked up to see Edward Mordrake standing there. I felt a scream about to come out of my mouth, but before I could he covered my mouth.
“My dear please do not scream. I do not wish to harm you.”
I calmed myself as he backed away from me pulling the towel with him to reveal my tail. He was staring at me astonished by what he was seeing. He took off his hat and got down on his knees staring at me.
“In all my years I have never seen anything as magnificent as you. A mermaid exits amongst all of us. A rarity that you are to behold.”
I blushed as he got closer to me. I felt the heat rise more when I transformed back to my legs and I was completely naked in front of him.
“Mermaid by sea and human by land. How fascinating you are. My dear you are truly a gift to all freaks everywhere. “
I pulled the blanket and wrapped it around my body to cover my naked form from him.
“Why are you here?”
Edward came closer to me that he was standing above me.
“I came for you summoned me with that beautiful song of yours. No mere human could sing like that. So haunting was your voice that it lure me to you my dear.”
“I was just playing around. I did not rehearse let alone perform. I don’t let anyone here me sing at all.”
“Why’s that my dear?”
“I don’t want anyone to hear me. We are known to lure men to their death by our voice. I don’t want that for anyone at all.”
My answer seemed good enough for him. The only problem was he got very close to me.
“My dear the only thing your voice did to me was not only summoning me, but it made me fall in love with you.”
My eyes widen as he pulled me up. I griped tightly onto the blanket and screamed for Jimmy. Edward pulled me close to him as we heard shouting. I was able to see Jimmy and his mother rushing into the tent before both Edward and I disappeared from their sight.