Do You See What I See?

Home?

I clung to Salem as we zoomed past the trees and logs, the low-hanging leaves brushing and whipping at my arms, hair and face. We past Salem's cave, and kept going.
I could still hear the skeletons clattering and clacking wetly together, keeping up with inhuman speed. I felt the fear gnawing at my stomach. I felt like puking.
I could see the sky growing darker with each smooth step Salem took. Fairly soon the darkness would swallow us and the skeletons would be at their best condition. I was scared.
But, I reminded myself, Salem was in his best condition at night too. He would keep me safe. I could trust him.
Couldn’t I?
The possibility that Salem was against me hovered in front of my face as he traveled as quickly as vampire-possible away from the skeletons. I noticed that the forest was getting denser, thicker. Lovely. I bet there were rats in here.
We flew down a dirt track that Salem had somehow gotten to by criss-crossing across the trees and undergrowth. I clung to Salem and forced myself not to look behind. The skeleton warriors were still on our tail. They weren’t going to give up. This was a full blown race to the finish. Whoever got there last was dead.
I was so glad Salem and I were leading.
Every feeling that I get nowadays feels like its being monitored. By someone. It doesn’t matter who.
Salem. The Skeletons. Someone. I have no secrets anymore.
Except one.
The forest was so dense that I could barely see the sky. Judging by the small glimpses I caught of it, I could tell it was getting darker.
Night was coming.
Like silent ghosts, Salem and I glided across the ground. I wished I was a vampire. Then I could help him. But would I be as horribly savage as he is now? Now I wish I was one, but would I later? I mean, in the long run?
I was interrupted as we suddenly swung sideways and flew up a tree. Sideways. TOTALLY against the laws of gravity. I screamed because, let me tell you, it wasscary! Scared the eva’ livin’ outta me. Almost gave me heart failure then and there.
And then suddenly, we were skimming the top of the trees, dancing from branch to branch, running at super-speed, and becoming one with the clear, blue sky. It was magnificent. It would have been even awesome-err if there weren’t evil skeletons clunking at super-fast pace right behind us, which only reminded me of the toiling fear hidden in the basis of my stomach.

The gliding and dancing above the trees continued effortlessly, by Salem for what seemed like an hour. I was thrilled, but I still could not forget the skeletons behind me. They were trying to grab us and hit us now, but Salem cleverly evaded them all without striking a blow himself. It was amazing yet terrifying to watch.
My blood flowed even faster then it had been doing before, my heart in a frenzy, pumping so fast it hurt.

We were almost at the end of the forest, practically three feet away from the drop to level ground. Salem suddenly spun around and kicked the leading skeleton across the field of trees, at least eight yards. I was so surprised by this action that emitted a tiny squeak of terror.
Salem jumped and flipped off the trees so I was blinded by the sun for a couple of seconds. He landed with a crashing sound, the ground shaking slightly. The skeletons were busy trying to climb down. He turned, and we zoomed away. We were in territory that I definitely did not remember. We kept going for a few minutes till I heard the skeletons behind us once more. Salem picked up the pace.
It wasn’t enough. The skeletons were moving even faster than before, so fast that they were almost behind us. One bony hand flew out if the pack and towards my face.
I couldn’t even scream.
But suddenly, a seizure seemed to run down the hand and towards the body of it. Blue electricity ran down its bones, raw power twirling around its bones and it screamed.

“SCCCRREEEEEEEEEEEE!”

And burst into dust. The others stopped too, confused. The same thing happened, the electricity encasing them in dominant blue light, and they exploded into dust as well. But Salem still did not stop. I didn’t question his authority in this ‘mission’, but I was annoyed all the same. There was nowhere else to go, the skeletons were dead (a second time) and he had to be tired by now. We had been running for hours.
I stared at the back of his neck, flexing and un-flexing as he ran. A long jagged scar ran from the right side of his neck and down his back (probably, but he was wearing a t-shirt so I couldn’t see.). A jolt of horror washed through me. Was this where he had been bitten and turned into a vampire?
I looked up to see another bunch of trees in the middle of the surrounding wilderness.
“Salem! Why are we going to go through another bunch of trees?!” I asked, as a punched his shoulder. He seem surprised that I had done that, but he answered all the same.
“Because our destination lies within.”
“Really?”
“Yes.”
Well finally!

The trees loomed closer and closer like an impending doom. It took forever to reach it. When we finally did, I was so happy I felt like dying. This was a really stupid thing to think.

The underbrush was way too overgrown and there were plants I didn’t recognize. The trees were taller than any trees I’d ever seen. We zoomed through the small forest, right towards the heart of the trees. But, before we could reach that destination, we stopped. Salem dropped me on the ground and started sniffing the air, which reminded me of an animal.
“Gee, thanks.” I said from the ground. I think I fell on a rock.
He didn’t answer.
He scouted around, his eyes narrowed. His hands were splayed in front of him like he was in a football match. Suddenly, he jumped behind a bush. There was a surprised cry and he dragged someone out.
“I knew it.” Said Salem, pulling the person out. I realized it was vampire.
Suddenly, it sprung up.
“How do you do that? I didn’t even make a sound!”
Salem laughed eerily. “Instinct.”

“Hayley, meet Rhyan. He’s my friend. Don’t worry, he won’t hurt you.” Salem told me. I nodded and turned towards Rhyan.
“Hi.”
Rhyan nodded, still grinning. His red hair was short in the front but longer in the back. He had yellow eyes with no whites just like Salem. But he was cleaner, and had far, far less blood on him.
“Come on, let’s get some food, I’m starving.” Said Rhyan. Salem put out his hand for me to grab. Rhyan laughed at my expression. “Don’t worry, we eat human food too.” I relaxed slightly and took Salem’s hand. He led me to a clearing with Rhyan close behind.
The first thing I saw was a giant wooden house that looked a lot like an under-kept Inn. There were bones stacked next to a stagnant pond.

This must be where Salem lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
yaaaay, sorry I took soooooooooooooooooooooooooSOOOOOOOOOOOOO long, but my school is really, really demanding. <3 you all, my readers! :D