Middle Earth's Last Hope

A Falling Kingdom

Vaeri awoke startled by the sound of her door rattling, throwing off her covers. She ran lightly to her daggers just as the door opened and three men came crashing in. Their skin was covered in suit and their eyes gleamed with blood-lust. She threw one of her dagger, hitting the man square in the chest; the other two approaching with their swords drawn. Vaeri rushed towards them easily blocking and dodging their blows. She rolled towards the man who lay dead on the ground, removing her dagger from his chest.
She spun around slicing one dagger up one of the mans chest while her other dagger ran down the man. They moaned in pain, Vaeri kicked one of the men in the chest sending him to the ground; she ended his life quickly. The other came up from behind her wrapping his arm around her neck pulling her away from his dead companion. She bit his arm. He roared in anger charging Vaeri. She dodged his attack and slid her dagger into his abdomen. The man fell to the ground coughing blood.
Running into her closet, Vaeri changed into her gear. She wore a leather harness that covered her upper chest, she slipped on her light brown leather pants, and threw on her worn boots. She strapped on her quiver and slipped her frame through her bow. She fastened her belt, that held four daggers. She strapped a small harness to her boot for another small dagger and one around her thigh. She grabbed her pack, that had all the necessary equipment for survival. Vaeri ran into the hall hearing the sound of battle echoing of the walls. She ran, looking for her family.
“Vaeri…” she heard a voice call out to her followed by a forceful cough. Turning around, she found her mother leaning against a wall down next to her dead father.
“No…” Vaeri whispered dropping to her knees next to her mother, “Mom, you’re going to be just fine. I promise.” Vaeri cried as she looked for her mother’s injury. Gasping, she found the gaping hole in her mothers stomach; the wound was fatal.
“Darling, don’t tell me lies. I know that I will die.” Her mother smiled with sympathy towards her daughter, “Take these.” She said holding out her hand, Vaeri cupped her mothers hand and she felt to pieces of cool metal in her hand. Without looking, Vaeri quickly placed them into her pouch. “I love you and your sister so much, I wish I could have stayed with you for a longer time.”
“No! Mom stay awake! You’re okay! I love you so much.” Vaeri sobbed clutching her mom’s shoulder. She felt her mother’s last breath, Vaeri hugged her mother’s lifeless body and sobbed into her shoulder.
“Vaeri…” She heard the soft voice of her sister say, “We have to go…” Nlaea softly grabbed her sister’s shoulder pulling her away from their dead parents. Vaeri composed herself quickly and followed her sister quietly. They headed towards the man gate, when the came across a small group of guards.
“You can’t leave that way. They have the front of the castle completely surrounded.” One of the soldiers panted.
“Then there is only one way out,” Vaeri whispered, “We will have to jump.”
“Do you mean jump off a hundred foot cliff into a rocky chasm of death.” Nlaea replied sarcastically.
Vaeri laughed with a hint of hysteria in her voice, “Well it is either that or being killed by these pieces of scum.” They heard the cries of the savages approaching, “We need to move…NOW!” Vaeri shouted as arrows began to fly past them, hitting one of the soldiers.
“Are you okay?” Nlaea asked.
“It was just my shoulder.” The man grimaced. They ran through the halls turning hall after hall trying to confuse the enemy. They came to the courtyard, hundreds of the savage men chasing after them. Vaeri turned her head and saw an arrow flying straight towards Nlaea. Vaeri dove.
The two crashed to the ground and quickly scrambled to their feet, not uttering a word. Vaeri grabbed Nlaea’s hand, as they sprinted towards the cliffs edge. “We cannot falter or we will be killed by the rocks below.” Nlaea shouted to Vaeri.
They heard two thuds as their soldiers fell to the ground and then a third. Vaeri felt Nlaea stumble and cry out in pain. “Come on! You can make it!” Vaeri shouted fearing the worst. Pulling Nlaea with her, they reached the edge. Vaeri jumped, Nlaea’s hand slipping out of hers. She felt weightless as she hurtled towards the black bottomless ocean below. Vaeri relaxed her body, but even with that she was not prepared at the shock she fell hitting the water.
Vaeri’s head whipped back, water pouring into her mouth. She felt her sinking farther and farther below the surface of the water. The only light was the moon, smiling sadly down at her. She kicked her legs pushing herself to the surface. Vaeri hit the surface, coughing up the bitter taste of the water. She gasped for air, looking helplessly around for her sister. Behind her, Vaeri heard another gasp of breath.
Turning she saw her sister, swimming towards her, a grimace on her glowing face. “Are you okay?” Vaeri asked swimming up next to her sister.
“Just an arrow in the shoulder, nothing I can’t handle.” Nlaea said nodding her head towards the shore.
“It will be a few miles towards sh…shore.” Vaeri said as wave hit her sending her under water.
“We need to get away from the cliff or we will smashed.” Nlaea shouted over the roar of the waves. They two swam slowly towards the shore, trying to conserve their energy. Vaeri watched as her sister finally was able to stand, she swam slowly her eyes dropping from exhaustion. Nlaea had reached the shore and collapsed to the ground.
Vaeri was caught in a wave, her body being tossed around against the hard floor of the ocean. She gasped for breath as the wave finally released her. Vaeri crawled towards her sister, seeing the broken shaft of the arrow protruding from her sister’s shoulder. Vaeri crawled over to see her sister in a peaceful sleep, she grabbed the shaft and removed it quickly; Nlaea moaned softly in her sleep. Vaeri quickly bandaged the wound as best as she could before she fell to sand in exhaustion. Darkness taking her away from her troubled thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't worry you'll see familiar characters in the next chapter!