Middle Earth's Last Hope

The Poisoned King

Relief rushed through Vaeri as she heard someone follow her, “You know you are very reckless.” Legolas said catching up to Vaeri.
“It’s part of my charm.” Vaeri replied jokingly, Legolas didn't laugh or crack a smile. “What is wrong?”
“That man. The way he talked and looked at you.” Legolas said anger clear in his voice.
“Legolas, I wouldn’t be here if I couldn't handle some taunts and jabs.” Vaeri said bringing Legolas to a stop. “You have nothing to worry about, I promise.” Vaeri kissed his cheek, just as Gimli came crashing threw a bush with his axe raised; right behind him Aragorn. The day passed by slowly, Gimli stopped examining a bush.
He touched his finger to a leaf before putting it to his mouth, he spat. “Orc Blood.”
“These tracks are strange.” Aragorn said as he looked at the forest floor below.
“The air is very close in here,” Gimli said raising his axe.
Vaeri looked around at the trees, hearing them groan. “This forest is very old. Full of memories and anger.” Vaeri said lightly. The trees groan louder and Gimli raises his axe higher.
“The trees are speaking to each other,” Legolas said looking around in wonder.
“Gimli!” Aragorn whispers motioning for him to lower his axe.
Grumbling, Gimli slowly lowered his axe. “There is something out there!” Vaeri said as she watched the forest closely.
“What do you see?” Aragorn asked.
“The white wizard approaches.” Legolas said drawing his bow.
“Saruman.” Vaeri spat, loading her bow.
Aragorn gripped his sword, “Do not let him speak; he will put a spell on us. We must act quickly!”
Vaeri swung around releasing her arrow, only to see it batted away by an unseen force along with Legolas’s arrow. Aragorn’s sword turns red from heat and he throws it away from him. The forest is casted in a blinding light, causing Vaeri to cover her eyes.
“You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits.” The voice of Saruman said.
“What have you done with them!” Vaeri asked taking a step forward.
“Me. Nothing. They passed this way the day before yesterday and mean’t someone they weren’t expecting. Does that comfort you?” He asked.
“Who are you? Show yourself!” Aragorn exclaimed. The light dimmed and there was nothing but clear shock on the small groups face. Standing before them was Gandalf, everything about him was white: his hair, staff, robes.
“But…you fell…” Vaeri said taking a step back, not able t belie her eyes.
“Ah yes, a pretty nasty fall if I may add.” Gandalf said, “I fell through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak; I fought the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon a mountaintop. Darkness took me. I’ve been set back till my task is done.”
“Gandalf!” Gimli cried with joy.
“Yes, I used to be called Gandalf the grey, but now as you can see I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you know at the turn of the tide. We have much to do, follow me.” Gandalf said as he slipped on a gray cloak.
“What has happened to Merry and Pippin?” Vaeri asked hoping they were in no danger.
“They are under the care of an Ent, his name is Tree Beard.” Gandalf replied, relief flowing through Vaeri. “You don’t need to worry about the little ones.” Vaeri nodded and they group began their track back out of the forest.
They company of five, walked through the forest, still not believing that their dear friend was still alive. They soon reached the lands of the Rohirrim again and Gandalf stopped whistling into the air. A neigh of a horse echoes through the land and come galloping up the hill toward the company. “We must make haste to Edoras; war has come to Rohan.”
“That is one of the Meras, unless my eyes are deceiving me.” Legolas said his voice full of awe. Vaeri nodded her head slowly, not believing the sight of the beautiful white horse. The horse stops in front of Gandalf and he strokes his head.
“His name is Shadowfax.” Gandalf said as he mounted his horse and they quickly went back to where they left their other horses and mounted them, “On we go to Edoras. Be careful what you say when we get there. Do not look for welcome there.”
Vaeri urged her horse onwards and soon she found herself staring at a Edoras. It was built on top of a hill with a gentle sloop. At it’s peak stood a hall and surrounding it was many building and houses. They galloped to the entrance, and Vaeri watched as one of their banners was ripped from it’s pole. It floated in the air taking its time to fall; a bad omen.
Riding their horses to the steps of the small castle, the company dismantled handing the reins to some horse keepers. Vaeri looked around to see the people of the town, they dressed in dark colors, not a smile to be seen; the city was in a somber state.
“You would find more cheer in a graveyard.” Gimli mumbled at the gloom. They climbed the stairs to the hall but were stopped by guards.
The man places his hand out stopping the group and looks towards Gandalf, “I cannot allow you before Théoden-King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Gríma Wormtongue.” Gandalf nods in understanding, asking silently for his companions to remove their weapons.
Vaeri stepped forward hoping the guards wouldn't search her because she was a women. Another guard stepped placing a hand on her chest, Vaeri grabbed his arm twisting it painfully. Another guard stepped pointing his sword at Vaeri, “Don’t touch me again.” Vaeri said trying hard to keep the anger out of her voice. Legolas stepped forward, but Vaeri stopped him. She looked back at him putting on a small smile, trying to reassure him.
She removed her two short-swords placing it one of the guards arms. She took off her quiver and handed them her bow. She leaned over grabbing her thigh dagger and the one in her boot, handing it over to the guard. The guard raised his eyebrow at Vaeri, “That’s it. I promise.” Vaeri said lifting her hands in the air.
“We need to make sure.” One of the guards said stepping forward.
“Touch me and you will regret it.” Vaeri said giving the man a look so cold it, sent a visible shiver down his back. After everyone had removed their weapons, they went to walk in when the original guard stopped Gandalf.
“Your staff.” He asked looking down at the object in Gandalf’s hand.
“Hmm? Oh, you wouldn’t part an old man from his walking stick would you?” Gandalf asked trying to look as sincere as possible. The guard nodded and finally allowed them into the hall. Stepping into the hall, Vaeri looked around in surprise. The room was dark and people gathered around were not of good folk. Looking at the king, Vaeri sucked in a deep breath. His skin was white and his hair was gray. His eyes were a ghastly color; this was the work of witch craft. “The courtesy of your hall has somewhat lessened, Théoden King.”
A man in black fur robes with greasy black hair leaned forward whispering into the King’s ear. King Théoden spoke his voice weak, “Why should I welcome you? Gandalf… Stormcrow?” The king asked looking back at the man in black for confirmation.
“A just question, my liege. You arrive at an ill time. With ill news is an ill guest.” The man in robes said.
“Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words from a witless worm, Gríma!” Gandalf said loudly, raising his staff.
“His staff! I told you take his staff!” Gríma moaned moving away from Gandalf. Guards were upon them without a second hesitation. One came straight towards her a rotten smile on his face. Vaeri swung, knocking the man out cold. A man came from her side, and she swung her leg and kicked his legs out from underneath him. Another guard came from behind Vaeri grabbing her arms and pinning them behind her back.
“Théoden, son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the shadows.” Gandalf said sadly. Another man approached Vaeri from the front, she lifted her legs off the ground kicking upwards, making contact with his jaw. Using as much leverage as possible, Vaeri threw her body weight forward. The man flipped around, landing on his back and Vaeri on top of him. She spun out of his grasp, hitting him with her fist. Vaeri looked up to see the rest of the guards lay unconscious on the ground. “Hearken to me! I release you from the spell.”
Théoden laughed menacingly, “You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey!” Gandalf throws back his gray cloak, and the room is devoured by a blinding white light. Théoden is thrown back against his seat from the power.
“I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.” Gandalf said taking a step forward.
“If I go…Théoden dies!” Saruman said through King Théoden.
“You did not kill me, you will not kill him!” Gandalf exclaimed seeing through Saruman’s lies.
“Rohan is mine!” Saruman exclaimed, having Théoden rush towards Gandalf.
“Be gone!” Gandalf bellowed, sending King Théoden flying back into his chair. A moan escaped the King’s lips the presence of Saruman left his body. Vaeri watched as the man who had been sitting their moments ago turned into a completely different person. His white patchy hair turned into a thick head of blonde hair going to his shoulder. His skin turned back into a normal healthy color and his eyes went back to a pale blue.
“Gandalf?” King Théoden asked confused at what was happening.
“Breathe the free air again, my friend.” Gandalf said lightly a smile on his lips. The king stood up his hands shaking, “Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword.”
The guard that stopped them from entering rushed towards the king, his sword in hand. Théoden slowly wrapped his hand around the end of the sword and then draws it up into the light, gazing upon the steel. Vaeri looks in the corner where Saruman’s little helper, Gríma, is cowering in a corner. Two guards grab Gríma pulling him to his feet and drag him out of the hall. They throw him down the stairs, King Théoden following closely behind, pure rage on his face.
“I’ve only ever served you, my lord!” Gríma said raising his hands in defeat.
“Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!” King Théoden replied raising his sword in the air.
“Send me not from your side!” The coward exclaimed inching away from the King. Just as Théoden was about to throw his sword down upon Grima, Aragorn ran forward grabbing the king’s arm stopping him.
“No, my lord. Let him go; enough blood has been spilled on his account.” King Théoden shook his head in pity at the coward laying before him, Grima stood up screaming at the town-folk to get out of his way. Théoden walked back into the hall, looking around he asked, “Where is my son?”
“He is dead, my lord.” A woman with a fair complexion and long blonde hair said to the king. Théoden collapsed onto his chair weeping.