Middle Earth's Last Hope

Swords

A guard led Vaeri to a small room; she hadn't realized how tired she was until she saw the soft bed before her, “Thank you.” The guard nodded his regards and left. She slipped off her boots setting them next to a chair and draped her cloak over it. Vaeri looked in the corner see a tub filled with water. She quickly undressed, moaning as she slid herself into the water. It was the best bath of her life.
Vaeri climbed out the tub finding a cloth and wrapped it around her body, she heard a knock on her door. “Who is it?” Vaeri called out.
“It is I, Legolas.” His voice sounded through the door.
“Come in.” Vaeri said as she walked towards a simple white dress layer out on the bed. Looking over her shoulder, she saw Legolas standing there a blush on his cheeks.
“I can come back another time..” Legolas mummers looking back at the door.
“Legolas, there is nothing to be embarrassed about,” Vaeri said laughing lightly, “Come here.” Legolas walked towards her, Vaeri looked into his eyes and kissed his cheek. “See, nothing to be embarrassed about.” Vaeri laughed poking his nose, Legolas smiling down at her. Legolas wore simple elven clothes and looked rather dashing.
Turning back to the bed, Vaeri felt the soft touch of Legolas’s arms wrapping around her waist. He kissed her neck, trailing them down to her shoulder, “You are so beautiful.” Legolas removed his arms allowing Vaeri to change into her dress. He flinched when he saw the purple wound on her side that would forever scar her body; he looked at the curves of her muscles. Vaeri climbed into bed, Legolas just staring.
“Are you just going to stand there or you going to be my body warmer, it’s awfully cold.” Vaeri said crinkling her toes. Legolas laughed, blowing at the candles in her room, crawling into the bed. Vaeri wrapped her arms around Legolas and placed her head on his warm chest, instantly falling asleep.

**

Vaeri awoke later in the afternoon, feeling as good as new. Her legs no longer shook from exhaustion and her body didn’t feel numb any longer. She climbed out of bed slipping on her leather pants and a loose shirt; she strapped on her weapons belt just as a precaution. She walked into the hall seeing a discussion already started.
Walking up to Legolas, Vaeri asked “What is happening?”
“We found these two children, riding a horse aimlessly through the land. No food or water.” Legolas said, “They say their village was attacked and that their mother was suppose to be right behind them.”
A little girl with wild hair, looked up from her bowl of soup, “Where’s mama?”
“Shhh…” The fair skinned woman with blonde hair, who's name was Éowyn, said to the small child.
Vaeri walked over to the table sitting next to the children. “How is your soup?” Vaeri asked.
“Do you know where mama is?” The little girl asked her eyes looking hopefully towards her.
“I’m sure she is not far behind you.” Vaeri said smiling kindly to the child, “What is your name?”
“Freda and that is my brother Éothain.” The little girl said. “What is yours?”
“That is a very pretty name.” Vaeri replied. “Mine is Vaeri.”
“Why do you carry a sword?” The girl asked looking down at Vaeri’s belt. “Mama said that women should leave the fighting to men.”
Vaeri laughed lightly, “For protection. Men may do most of the fighting but I believe women have just enough cause as men do.” Éowyn turned around suddenly staring at Vaeri with wide eyes, a smile on her face.
“I want one!” Freda beamed looking down at Vaeri’s sword again.
“You are to young, little one!” Vaeri said, a frown forming on the girls face, “But not to little for a dagger, but you must promise me that you will only use it when you are in danger. In fact, I will teach you how to use it.” The child nodded her head excitedly. “Now finish your soup and regain your strength.”
“Open war is upon you. Whether you would risk it or not.” Aragorn said, Vaeri listening to the conversation again.
“When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan.” Théoden replied sending Aragorn into silent submission.
“Then what is the king’s decision?” Gandalf asked.
“Tomorrow we will evacuate to Helm’s Deep.” Théoden replied standing up and leaving the room. Aragorn walked outside, his mind full of thoughts.
“Gimli?” Vaeri called out, “Where did you get that food?”
“Aye, if I tell you there won’t be any left for me!” Gimli replied laughing as he chugged a pint of mead. Vaeri laughed, a plate of food was set before her. “You gave that to the wrong person!” Gimli exclaimed cackling.
Vaeri shook her head taking a bite out of a roll, she famished. She quickly ate the food and swallowed it down with water. The little girl turned towards Vaeri, her soup almost gone. “Can we go practice?”
“First eat your soup and then we shall.” Vaeri said as took another sip of water. The girl began shoveling what was left into her mouth.
“I’m done!” Freda exclaimed showing her bowl to Vaeri.
“Then lets go get you a dagger.” Vaeri said standing up the girl right on her tail. They went to the armory. “Don’t touch anything, I don’t want you to hurt yourself.”
“I want this one!” Freda exclaimed pointing to a dagger hanging on the wall. Vaeri grabbed the dagger, placing it on the girl’s forearm for measurement, it was perfect. Vaeri grabbed a small belt and placed the dagger on the belt wrapping it around the girls waist. “Now I’m like you!” The girl squealed in excitement unsheathing the weapon.
“Hold on! We are going to practice with these first,” Vaeri said grabbing two wooden daggers. The girl frowned. “It will only be for a little while.”
The walked into a room for training and Vaeri first taught the girl how to hold the dagger properly, “This dagger is an extension of your arm, do you understand?” The girl nodded hold the wooden dagger, slashing it around. Vaeri laughed, “Now if you were being attacked, you would need to kill the enemy quickly. You would want to aim, here.” Vaeri motioned towards the areas where they would be fatal if stabbed. “Now I want you to practice on me. Attack me.”
The girl stood there hesitating before she lunged at Vaeri. Vaeri quickly blocked the attack, “You need to be quicker, never hesitate or show mercy because your enemy will not.” Vaeri turned to the side, taking a fighting stance. “Copy me.” Vaeri went through a few attacks a couple times, the girl catching on quickly. Before she knew it, Vaeri had to put a little effort into blocking Freda’s attacks. “Do you want to use your dagger?” Vaeri asked already knowing the girl’s answer.
“Yes, oh please!” Freda exclaimed. Vaeri nodded her head and she withdrew her dagger.
“Now you won’t be attacking me,” Vaeri said motioning to a straw dummy. “Do everything I just showed you to that dummy over there.” Freda quickly attacked, her form almost perfect. Some time passed and Vaeri could see the girl was beginning to get tired. “I think that’s enough for today.” Vaeri said ending the lesson, “We have a busy day tomorrow, we are heading to Helm’s Deep.”
“But what about mother?” The girl asked, worry in her eyes.
“I bet she has already turned that way.” Vaeri replied, Freda looked at Vaeri not believing what she had said. “Off to bed!” Freda just stood there, complaining about not wanting to stop. Vaeri chased the girl around the room, the girl squealing and laughing. Vaeri scooped the child into her arms. “I got you! Now you have to go to bed.” Freda put a small pout on her face, and Vaeri smiled.
“Will we travel together?” Freda asked.
“Without a doubt.” Vaeri said setting the girl back on the ground. Freda smiled before dashing out of the room. Vaeri looked up and was surprised to see Legolas leaning against the doorway, a smile on his face.
“That little girl already adores you.” Legolas said stepping into the room.
“What’s not to love?” Vaeri asked jokingly. Legolas pulled Vaeri into his arms, planting a soft kiss on her lips.
“I’m going to go pack, meet me for dinner?” Legolas asked and Vaeri nodded and Legolas left the room as quickly as he had entered.
“I don’t meet many women who have the same beliefs as me.” A soft voice said, Vaeri turned looking over her shoulder.
“Many women do believe the same as you and I but they believe it is a disgrace because that is what they were taught.” Vaeri replied turning towards Éowyn.
“You are skilled in battle?” Éowyn asked, Vaeri nodded. “Will you spar me?” Vaeri’s eyes widened in surprise.
“If that is what you wish.” Vaeri replied, Éowyn walked over grabbing a sword in the process. Vaeri grabbed her short-swords. She watched as Éowyn’s eyes widened in shock.
“You use two?” She asked stilling staring at her weapons.
“Always have, most use one but I was trained to use two.” Vaeri replied, “Attack me, I wan’t to see what you can do.” Éowyn attacked with more training than Vaeri though she had. Though Vaeri quickly disarmed her. “You need to keep a tighter grip on your sword.” Éowyn grabbed her sword off the ground attacking Vaeri again, she easily parried that attack. “Anticipate my attacks. Every foe has a weakness.”
“What is mine?” Éowyn asked.
“Your foot work is sloppy.” Vaeri replied, “You take to long to back away from an attack which allows your opponent to get a faster and harder blow.”
“What is yours?”
“Ah, you will have to figure that out yourself.” Vaeri said smiling at Éowyn, who returned it. They fought for a long time, Éowyn’s form improving.
“Your main weakness is your swords.” Éowyn noted, “You’re swords are shorter than mine. It makes it easier for you to wield both at the same time, but your attacks lack distance.”
“Excellent.” Vaeri replied nodding her head in approval. Éowyn smiled and soon they were taking a break, sitting on chairs laughing. “We should get our rest.”
“We have a long journey ahead of us,” Éowyn said nodding. Vaeri left the room finding Legolas waiting for her, with a plate of food. Vaeri ate away, listening the forlorn conversations about the journey that lay ahead of them.