Middle Earth's Last Hope

Dawn Comes

Legolas grabs a Uruk’s shield throwing it in front of him. Jumping on it, he slide down the steps firing arrow after arrow. Jumping the shield flies through the air right into a Uruk’s chest. He looks around frantically seeing if her can spot her. “Vaeri!” His scream pierces the air, his voice breaking.

**
One second she was about to get cut down by a Uruk, next thing Vaeri knew she was soaring through the air. She landed in a deep puddle, her back hit the floor. Water flooding into her lungs. Her head hit a rock. Her vision going black. Vaeri surfaced, gagging. Water poured out of her mouth, as she desperately searched for air.
Her limbs were weak, still blind, Vaeri pulled herself out of the water using all of her strength. Her lip scrapped against a rock, blood pouring into her mouth. Collapsing on the ground, Vaeri continued coughing, she couldn’t hear a thing and she was blind. She closed her eyes tightly and slowly opened them. Her vision was blurred, she saw a horde of Uruk-Hai pouring through the gap in the wall storming towards her.
Clutching the ground, Vaeri stumbled to her feet. She found one of her swords and picked it up, the blade almost slipping from her grip. “Vaeri!” She heard someone yell, barely audible. Looking around for the voice, a Uruk approached her. She blocked his attack, kicking at him. He fell to the ground, kneeling before him she sunk her blade into his heart. Standing back up she looked around in a dazed state. She was tackled to the ground.
The weight on top of her quickly removed itself and she stared at the sky, trying to come to her senses. A Uruk fell down next to her and she scrambled away, but it was already dead. A hand grabbed her arm pulling Vaeri to her feet. She looked at the person helping her but only saw a faint outline.
“Vaeri..” The voice said to her in her haze. She limped as they ran.
“Retreat!” Another voice shouted.
“Is she okay?” A female’s voice sounded, looking at the woman she saw nothing but blurred colors. The pain in her head was almost to much to bare. They ran up some steps and they walked into a stone room, a tiny voice telling her it was the keep. They leaned her against the wall, “I’ll be right back.” Voices said and she was set alone against the pillar, darkness taking her away.

**
Legolas lightly touched Vaeri’s cheek, she wasn't badly injured though she must have hit her head very hard. There was a cut on the left side of her top lip, he whipped away the blood before someone shouted his name and he turned away. Running up the steps, Legolas drew his bow firing arrow after arrow. He looked down to see Aragorn and Gimli fighting against the Uruk’s on the bridge.
He turned away from the battle to quickly grab some rope. “Gimli! Aragorn get out of there!” Legolas heard the faint yell of King Théoden. Legolas threw the rope over the wall yelling Aragorn’s name. Aragorn grabbed the rope, and pulled Gimli to his side. Legolas pulled on the rope slowly bringing the two up, quickly other men grabbed the rope and Legolas saw the head of Aragorn. He grabbed him by his shirt, pulling him over the wall followed by Gimli.
“Pull everyone back! Pull them back.” Théoden yelled to his men as the Uruk-Hai pushed against the gates. “They have broken through! The castle is breached! Retreat!” Legolas rushed into the castle firing two more arrows right before the doors slammed shut.

**
Vaeri opened her eyes slowly, a small throbbing on the back of her head. “Vaeri are you okay?” She heard her sister’s voice ask. Opening her eyes she saw her the blurred form of her sister, blinking a few times it cleared and saw her beautiful sister staring down at her worry clear in her eyes.
“I am fine.” Vaeri said, “Head is a little tender.” Wincing when she moved. “I feel like a trampled by a herd of horses.”
“You do remember don’t you?” Nlaea asked.
“I remember the wall exploding…and then I was flying through the air, I feel into a puddle and hit my head. That’s about it…” Vaeri said as she touched the back of her head lightly and winced.
“Are you hurt anywhere else?” Nlaea asked looking over Vaeri for any signs of a wound.
“I got cut on the back of my thigh.” Vaeri replied, “Hand me a bandage.” Nlaea hurried away and a few moments later she handed Vaeri a roll of them. Vaeri gently wrapped her leg and tied a knot to secure it.
“Is she okay?” Legolas said rushing towards her.
“I am fine.” Vaeri replied smiling up at Legolas. He kneeled before Vaeri and pulled her into his arms.
“I thought I had lost you…” Legolas mummers into her ear and held her close. She felt Legolas’s body shake, a sob broke free from his lips.
“Legolas, look at me.” Vaeri said pulling away, “I am fine there is nothing to fear.”
“There is always something to fear.” Legolas replied staring into her eyes. He kissed her lightly on the lips, pulling away his face lit up with a smile.
“The fortress is taken. It is over.” King Théoden said in defeat. Aragorn ran up to Legolas grabbing his shoulder noticing towards the doors. He popped to his feet, helping Aragorn barricade the doors. Vaeri slowly climbed to her feet, ignoring the complaints coming from her sister, and helped them barricade the doors.
Aragorn turned towards Théoden, “You said this fortress would not fall as long as your men defend it. They still defend it. They had died defending it.” Looking towards Théoden, “Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves? Is there no other way??”
“There is one passage, it leads into the mountains. But they will not get to far, the Uruk-Hai are to many.” Gamling responded to Aragorn’s question.
Aragorn approached Gamling, resting his hand on his shoulder. “Tell the women and children to make for the mountain pass and barricade the entrance.” Gamling turned away running towards the caves.
Théoden said, in almost a dream like state, “So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?” The Uruk-Hai slam against the door again.
“Ride out with me.” Aragorn said, “Ride out and meet them.” Théoden looks up in surprise at Aragorn.
“For death and glory?” Théoden questions.
“For Rohan. For your people.”
“The sun is rising,” Gimli said out of the blood as he looked out of a window. Aragorn looked to the window and hope flashed in his eyes.
“Yes…yes…The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep…one last time.” Théoden said passionately.
“Yes!” Gimli exclaimed running up a stair case. Legolas grabs Vaeri’s hand ushering her to a horse. Vaeri climbed onto her steed, Nlaea on her left and Legolas to her Right. Vaeri hears the door crash open, adrenaline pumping in her blood; this was it. Legolas rode up to Vaeri’s side, he turned towards her grabbing her head and kissed her.
“I needed to do that…one last time.” Legolas muttered and Vaeri smiled at him in sadness.
“I love you.” Vaeri said to him and clutched his hand.
“Forth Eorlingas!” Théoden yelled and charged forward. Vaeri withdrew her hand from Legolas and started her horse forward, drawing her only blade she attacked the surprised Uruk-Hai. They stormed through the keep killing all the Uruk-Hai in their path.
“Gandalf.” Vaeri heard Aragorn mumble. She paused her attack looking up at the mountains. She saw a brilliant white light and the Rohirrim charging down the mountain taking the Uruk-Hai by surprise. They ran through the Uruk-Hai quickly, they slaughtered them and the Uruk-Hai retreated. Vaeri cheered, in victory before continuing to dispatch the few stragglers inside the keep. The Uruk-Hai retreated into Fangorn forest and they trees moved around and the screams of the orcs were heard from miles around.