Middle Earth's Last Hope

Thranduil's Son

Vaeri woke up lying on a something plush, with silk sheets covering her body. It was just a dream, she thought to herself ignoring the small part of her mind that told her she was wrong. Her eyes snapped open; it hadn't been a dream. She threw the silk sheets off her, scrambling to her feet. She looked down to see herself wearing a soft cream night dress. In panic, Vaeri tore off the garment seeing her clothes in the corner. Throwing them on, she slipped her daggers into place and loaded her bow.
The door to the room flew open and Vaeri let her arrow fly. She heard a man huff in surprise as he dodged the arrow. Vaeri quickly knocked in another arrow aiming it at the man; she released the arrow. He dodged the arrow again before tackling Vaeri to the ground. She struggled and screamed trying to get the man off her; he pinned her to the ground as she cried out in fustration.
“Calm down! You are safe here!” The man said soothingly to Vaeri. Vaeri squirmed underneath him, her heart beating painfully against her chest. Opening her eyes, Vaeri gasped in surprise. He had long blonde hair, braided on the sides. His eyes were a deep blue and his skin looked as soft as silk; he was gorgeous. “Wow…” He mumbled smiling down at her.
Tears started to fall down her cheeks as she began to relax and realize she was safe. Vaeri began to sob and was unable to stop herself, she was in shock to realize the life she new had been taken from her. To watch as her mother died in her arms, she couldn't keep it in. She felt the man let her go and pulled her to a sitting position. She felt the soft touch of his hand as he cradled her head against his shoulder. Her crying turned into a light sob until she stopped all together. The entire time the man sat there rubbing her back, not uttering a word.
Letting out a raspy breath, “I’m sorry…” Vaeri mumbled.
“You have nothing to apologize for.” He said watching Vaeri as she looked down at her hands. “My name is Legolas.” Vaeri cheeks flushed a bright pink, she had been sobbing on Thranduil’s son. “My father wanted to speak to you after you woke up.”
“My name is Vaeri.” She said refusing to look at him, “And I’ll go talk to him then.”
“I know.” Vaeri’s eyes widened as she looked up, “I’ll take you to my father…if you’re ready.”
Vaeri nodded, Legolas stood up offering his hand to Vaeri. She grabbed his hand and he pulled her to his feet. She followed silently behind Legolas as he lead her through the palace. Looking ahead she saw the familiar frame of her sister walking towards the two. Vaeri rushed ahead, throwing her arms around her sister. She felt her sister arms engulf her, squeezing her gently. “I just got done talking with Lord Thranduil, everything is fine.”
“That’s where I am going now.” Vaeri said, “I will see you at breakfast…lunch…?”
Nlaea laughed, “It’s about to be dinner time.”
“Good because I am starved.” Vaeri said clutching her stomach as she heard it grumble. “I will see you later.”
Legolas and Vaeri continued walking and she saw a man sitting on the throne, he looked much like Legolas and he had a crown that started at the side of his head and wrapped around the back of his head.
Legolas bowed and Vaeri quickly followed suit, “Lord Thranduil.” Vaeri said nodding her regards.
“Ah, Vaeri. I see you found your…garbs.” Lord Thranduil said eyeing Vaeri’s clothes in disgust. “You may leave us, Legolas.” Legolas turned away without another word and Vaeri found her nerves standing on end; he clearly didn't have a good first impression of her.
“You wished to see me?” Vaeri asked wanting to get this conversation over with.
“Well I would like to give my condolences about the loss of your family.” Lord Thranduil said, “But I think we should discuss your clothing.”
“Wha..” Vaeri said before she was sharply interrupted.
“Don’t interrupt me!” Lord Thranduil said standing from his thrown. “Your choice of clothes is entirely inappropriate for your status as a being a princess. You look like you belong on the streets selling you body away to whatever man could pay the price.” He spat at her.
Vaeri gasped, “How dare you!” Vaeri said stepping forward.
“Do you dare approach me!” Lord Thranduil shouted at her stepping into her face, “You obviously have no manner or rules. You are a barbarian, ruled by a family of barbarians. The only decent one in the family line is your sister, you brat.”
“I’m the barbarian?” Vaeri laughed taking a step forward, “You are the barbarian. You couldn't wait to see our family murdered so you can take over our kingdom. You give us your ‘condolences,’ while deep down inside that twisted mind of yours, you are secretly celebrating the death of our family.” Vaeri looked at Lord Thranduil seeing the shock in his eyes as she hit home in her prediction. “I bet you’re already trying to wed my sister.” She spat in his face.
She heard the sound before she felt the pain spreading across her cheek, stumbling to the ground she looked up to see Lord Thranduil’s face red with anger. He approached her swiftly, Vaeri scurried backwards until her back hit the wall. His hand circled her neck, choking her. He lowered his head next to Vaeri’s, whispering in her ear, “You know nothing. You spread these rumors, I will hunt you down. You think you know pain? I will show you a new kind of pain.” He released her throat, standing up. “Leave.”
Vaeri scrambled to her feet, tears sliding down her cheeks. She ran from the throne room, running helplessly through the halls wanting nothing more than to leave this place and never come back. She composed herself, turning towards a guard, “Where is my room?” She asked politely.
“Just down this hall and take a right. Your room will be the second on the left.” The guard said nodding his head slightly in respect. Vaeri nodded her head back and quickly headed to the room. She closed the door, locking it behind her. A few minutes later, a knock sounded on her door. Vaeri took a deep breath before answering, Legolas stood before her. “It is time for dinner.” He said matter-of-factly. She nodded wanting to talk to Thranduil’s son. “What’s that on your neck?” He asked reaching a hand to touch it.
Vaeri flinched, “Nothing. I’m not very hungry. Goodbye.” She said closing the door lightly before heading to the bed to lay down.
An hour or so passed before another nock sounded on her door, she grumbled as she went to answer. “Legolas asked us to bring this to you.” They handed a basket it was filled with apples, bread and jam.
“Thank you.” She said simply.
“Have a good night.” The maid said bowing slightly before leaving. She sat the basket next to the mirror, and flinched when she saw her reflection. Slight bruises were forming around her neck. She lifted her hand feeling the tender flesh of her bruises. She closed her eyes, whispered a few words of elvish; when she opened her eyes they were gone. Vaeri smiled slightly and began to eat an apple.
Another knock came on her door and she groaned in annoyance. She answered the door and Nlaea stormed in. “What did you do?” She exclaimed, clearly frustrated.
“What are you talking about?” Vaeri asked confused.
“You know what you did! Thranduil said you were extremely disrespectful to him! We are staying in his home, you have no right to treat Lord Thranduil like that when he has been nothing but helpful in our situation.” Nlaea said lecturing Vaeri.
Vaeri’s face turned stone cold, “You should go.”
“I’m not leaving.” Nlaea said firmly. Vaeri said nothing back to her sister who followed her across the room, “What did you do?” Vaeri lifted a pillow and underneath was a bloody pouch, “Uh, what is that?”
“My gave me something before she died. I never saw what it was.” Vaeri said coldly to her sister. She emptied the pouch on the bed and there stood two rings of power. One was silver with small glimmer stones while the other was a larger yellow stone. Nlaea picked up the yellow stone ring, “That was father’s.”
“I’ll take this one.” Nlaea said slipping the ring onto her thumb. Vaeri picked up the other ring slipping it onto her ring finer.
“I’m going to bed, I’ll see you in the morning.” Vaeri said, Nlaea frowned at her sister.
“Is there something you want to talk about?” Nlaea asked concerned about her sister was acting.
“It’s been a traumatizing couple of days.” Vaeri said simply hoping her sister wouldn’t pry.
“That is true.” Nlaea said sadly, “I love you.” She hugged her sister goodnight before leaving her to sleep. Vaeri closed the door behind Nlaea and climbed back into bed falling into an uneasy sleep.