Middle Earth's Last Hope

I was a Fool

Looking into Vaeri’s eyes, he knew he had gone to far. Her eyes burned with rage. Tears beginning to swell around her eyes waiting to be released. “How dare you!” Vaeri shouted, her voice breaking in despair.
“Would you like to know what i’ve been hiding from you? Well I shall tell you! Every night in my dreams I watch you die. I watch as a blade pierces your heart. I watch as the light in your eyes disappear.” Vaeri exclaimed her voice full of pure rage. Tears raining down her cheeks.
“Vaeri…I’m…”
“No! You wanted to know so I will tell you!” Vaeri replied sharply cutting him off. “I see Sauron in my dreams and in them is unimaginable pain. I didn’t want to share this burden with you because it is mine to bare. Not yours! I didn’t tell you because I was afraid if I told you…you would die.” Vaeri chocked out unable to keep her sobs in any longer. Collapsing on the bed, her shoulders shook from her sobs. “I can’t believe you thought that i was with another man… Do you not trust me at all?”
Legolas stood there in complete silence. Still trying to process what she had said. “Vaeri…I’m sorry. I was a fool.”
“You were.” Vaeri replied, looking up at Legolas. Her eyes unwavering as she spoke. “Leave me.”
“Vaeri…” Legolas began before she cut him off.
“Go.” She spoke the words harshly and Legolas had no other option but to leave. Leaving the room, Legolas punched his fist against the harsh stone wall, cursing himself. How could he have been so senseless? Accusing her of being with another man? He was a fool.
“I’m guessing it didn't go very well?” Gimli asked striding up to Legolas, who had his forehead placed against the cool wall.
“No.” He replied shortly, not wanting to speak of the encounter.
“What did you do?”
Closing his eyes, “I accused her of sleeping with another man.”
“Do ye have a death wish, laddie?” Gimli questioned.
“Apparently.” Legolas muttered pushing off the wall, “I need some time alone.” Legolas replied and hastily walked away.
Shrugging his shoulders, Gimli walked to the door. The doors was old the metal handle tarnished from wear. Knocking three times, he waited for a reply.
“Go away.” Gimli heard the soft voice of Vaeri. She sounded weak and vulnerable, something he never had heard come from Vaeri. She was strong and independent but now she needed a friend.
“It’s I, Gimli.”
“What do you want?” She asked her voice muffled through the thick wooden door.
“Just to talk.”
“I don’t want to talk.”
“Just let me in, Lass!” Gimli yelled as he pound on the door. He leaned against the door pressing his ear against the worn wood, seeing if he could hear movement from the other side. The door opened. Tumbling in, Gimli quickly regained his balance. A rosy blush appearing on his cheeks.
Gimli stood there dumbfounded. He had almost always seen Vaeri with a smile on her face but there was no trace of it on her features. What stood before him, was a lost soul. Underneath her eyes were dark circles from restless nights. Her skin pale and the usual light in her eyes was replaced with a dull sadness. Looking up at her arm, he could see the tattered flesh of the burn.
“You know Legolas is not the brightest of your kind, right?” Gimli asked trying to change the frown on Vaeri’s face. She offered a small smile, that he could tell was not real. Vaeri took a step away from the door allowing Gimli to enter. Walking in, he asked. “Are you alright?”
“No.” Vaeri replied, fumbling with the ring on her finger.
“What is the matter?”
“I am haunted by my dreams. I see Sauron in my dreams. They are painful dreams, filled with physical and mental horrors. I am afraid to sleep. I fear that he will kill me whenever I do. I feel as if I’m losing my mind.”
“Sounds like you need a drink.” Gimli replied gruffly.
“A lot more than just a drink.” She sighed.
“Well you know, I am quite skilled in other aspects besides my axe.” Gimli replied, raising an eyebrow suggestively.
Vaeri went into a fit of giggles, “Are you trying to woo me?”
“If it’s working then yes.” He replied with a wink, “I kid of course. Come now, let us go grab a drink.”
Leaving the room they headed to the kitchen, each grabbing a mug of mead a slice of bread. They took a seat in the great hall, eating quietly.
“Lass, do you want to know something that might comfort you?” Gimli asked after chugging down part of his beverage.
“I doubt it will help.”
“Legolas loved another a very long time ago. My father knew her.” Gimli said as tore off a piece of bread and tossing it into his mouth.
“Thanks that was a very comforting thought…” Vaeri replied sarcastically, standing up to leave.
“I’m not done yet!” He exclaimed, “Her name was Tauriel but she loved another. One of my father’s dear friends, Kili. From what I heard from my father, Legolas loved her nothing like how he loves you. It was more of a passing fancy.”
“How is telling me about another woman the Legolas loved suppose to make me feel any better?” Vaeri whispered angrily unable to keep her emotions at bay.
“Because what I see and what everyone else see when he looks at you is nothing but pure love.” Gimli replied with a soft smile.

**

Legolas peered at the sky, gazing at it’s beauty. His thoughts troubled. He now understood why Vaeri would not tell him about her dreams. He couldn't even begin to imagine watching her die every night—it would be torture.
“Legolas?” He heard the soft voice of Vaeri behind him. Turning around quickly, he didn't know if he should approach her or not so he stood stolidly in place. She took a few steps toward him so she stood next to him. Looking into his bright blue eyes, “As much as I am angry at you, I cannot stay angry. I love you to much to do so.”
“Then you forgive me for my ignorance?” Legolas questioned meeting her gaze. She replied with a slight nod and relief flooded into his chest. He had feared he had crossed a line that could not be remedied.
“No, you will need to work on that.” Vaeri replied and Legolas frowned not catching the sarcasm to her tone. “I mean if your going to be arrogant all the time we may have a problem.”
Vaeri smirked slyly at Legolas who broke into a smile, “You’ll just have to deal with it.”
“Though never ever accuse me of being with another man.” Vaeri said hardly, hoping to get the point across.
“I wouldn't dream of it.” He said laughing nervously. 
 “Good.” Vaeri smiled, resting her head against his shoulder sighing. The peaceful moment didn't last long before she her thoughts caught up with her. “I am afraid.”
“Why?”
“Now that I have told you what I have seen. I’m afraid that my dreams will come to pass.” Vaeri replied a chill running down her spine.
“I will not die. You must know that?” Legolas said light-heartedly.
“Yes, I know.” Vaeri said half-heartedly. Deep down inside she could not shake the feeling inside her very heart that something terrible was going to happen.
The sun had begun to set casting wonderful colors into the darkening sky. Vaeri stood there basking in the last light of the day with Legolas by her side. She concentrated on the peaceful scene in front of her attempting to ignore the lingering fears in her mind.