Middle Earth's Last Hope

Spiders

Vaeri stood on the cliff overlooking Dunharrow. There were thousands of men below ready to give their lives for Middle Earth, but she knew there were not enough. Such brave souls ready to throw their lives away for a battle they could not win.
“You look ill at ease.” Legolas said seeing the forlorn look across Vaeri’s face.
“To few have come.” Vaeri said placing a hand to her chin to think. “We will not break the lines of Mordor.”
“Hey, aren’t you suppose to be the optimist? I’m the one who is to be the forlorn one.” Legolas said trying to bring a smile to his fiancé’s face.
“We will not be laughing when our allies lay at our feet and us with them.” She replied sternly, sucking all the joy out of Legolas.
“You know a person once told me something.” Legolas said hoping that she would bite the bait.
“What?”
“That if hope ever abandons us then we are already doomed.” He replied coming to stand next to her, “You know who said that?”
“Who?” Vaeri asked turning to look at him, knowing that they were true.
“A beautiful woman who never let a single thing put her down. A woman I wish to fight next to during every battle. Just being by her side gives me hope for a wonderful future. A future without war. A future without hate.” Legolas said looking down at Vaeri, a smile bright on his features.
She scoffed at the reply, “Let me meet this woman because she sounds delightful.”
Legolas flicked her nose, rolling his eyes. “It’s you! You sarcastic cretin.”
“Legolas, I do hope for all those things but as each day passes I feel Sauron gain strength with each passing hour and it is exhausting. I fear for the worst.”
“But you should hope for the best.” Legolas countered.
“I will try.” Vaeri replied offering a small smile.
“I will take my leave. I need to speak to Aragorn.” Legolas said as he kissed her on the cheek lightly and disappeared from her sight.
Standing on the cliff, she fumbled with her mother’s ring. It was a ring of power but she didn't not know what it powers were. Touching the stone that lay in the middle of the ring, she felt something uncanny. Something unnatural—a pull that made her want to keep the ring on and never take it off. But what frightened her most is that she didn't want to take it off.
Pushing away the negative thoughts she headed towards her tent knowing that she need rest for the upcoming battle. Pushing away the flap of the tent, she entered. Vaeri walked to her cot taking a seat on it’s firm, solid frame. Laying flat on the cot, she pulled on a blanket.
Vaeri stared at the dull ceiling of the tent unable to find rest. She closed her eyes urging herself to fall asleep—no such luck. Rolling around in discomfort, Vaeri pulled the blanket over her head with a sigh. Was it to hard to get a wink of sleep?
Not knowing when it happened—she was greeted by her dreams and they were good dreams. Vaeri was pushed against a wall, mindlessly kissing her love. Her hands tangled in his lush hair, while his hands roamed her body. They were pushed against each other—their breaths heavy to their kisses.
Hands grabbed her waist, roughly pulling from the ground. Without thinking, Vaeri wrapped her legs around his waist in return to help support herself. He began to kiss her neck, biting it with such force that made her gasp in pain.
He bit harder against the tender flesh of her neck enjoying the sounds coming from her lips, Vaeri opened her eyes not used to the roughness. To her horror, the man she thought had been Legolas was another. His hair was Legolas’s long but instead of his fair hair she was greeted by hair as black as night. The man’s eyes were such a pale blue they seemed to glow white—his eyes showing her an unyielding malice inside the man.. Vaeri yelled in shock, trying to push the man off her but he just smiled at her in amusement. Clutching his shoulders she dug her nails into his skin ruthlessly, drawing blood—but it seemed to only excite him more.
Vaeri unwrapped her legs from around his waist hoping that he would drop her but instead he pushed her harder against the wall so she was unable to fall. Balling her hand into a fist she went in for a punch—but he was faster, much faster. He grabbed her wrists, holding them in one hand. She used all her strength to try to break his grip but he was impossibly strong. His eyes twinkled in amusement, laughing at her struggle.
He suddenly dropped her. Vaeri moved away from him not taking her eyes off of him. She didn't understand why she wasn't awake. It was just a dream but she couldn't wake up. The man stalked towards her like she was his prey. As he came into range, Vaeri dropped down swinging her leg out.
Seeing it coming the man jumped gracefully over her leg. Shooting a hand towards her, Vaeri rolled out of his reaching hand. As soon as she was back on her feet, a force threw her against the wall. Her head slamming against the hard surface—her breath sucked right out of her. Black dots spotted her vision.
A hand cupped her chin gruffly, pulling her gaze to the grinning man in front of her. He brought his lips to her ear, his breath tickling the skin. His voice shook her to the bone—a low husky voice that spoke nothing but of unavoidable destruction and pleasure. “Soon you won’t be able to resist me.”
Vaeri shot awake. Her body glistened with sweat. She sat their panting, her hands tangled in her hair as she tried not to panic. Questions flooded her mind but none she had answers too. What she hoped to be a rejuvenating sleep had become her worst nightmare.
Hearing a noise next to her—Vaeri let out a shout falling off the cot unable to fear that the man from her dreams was laying next to her. The man next to her awoke with a fright, “Vaeri! What’s wrong?” She heard the voice of Legolas exclaim as he looked down at her from the bed.
“I thought there was a spider on me.” Vaeri lied not wanting Legolas to worry more than he needed too.
“What?” He exclaimed jumping out of the bed with incredible speed. “Where is it? Is it dead?” He yelled looking around anxiously.
“You’re afraid of spiders?” She asked raising her eyebrow in surprise, feeling guilty for frightening him.
“Spiders are creepy with their eight hairy legs and pinchers.” He replied adding in hand motions for affect.
“Hmmmm…interesting.”
“What does that mean?”
“Oh nothing…” Vaeri replied with a shaky laugh.
Legolas narrowed her eyes at her—knowing that she was planning something. “What are you planning?”
“Well I now know how to get revenge if need be.” Vaeri replied with a laugh trying to block out the image from the dream, “Let’s go to bed. I don't see any spiders.”
“Are you positive?” Legolas asked eyeing the cot as if it was pure evil. Rolling her eyes, she grabbed his hand and pulled him down onto the cot.
“Don’t worry i’ll protect you from the nasty spiders.” She said laughing lightly.
“You better…” Legolas grumbled, his face still showing his suspicion. He pulled Vaeri into his arms, resting his chin on her head. He fell asleep quickly and Vaeri lay there not wanting to pass into her dreams but she didn't have choice for darkness took her.