Middle Earth's Last Hope

The Calm Before A Storm

For once, Vaeri woke from her slumber without any dreams testing her sanity. Rolling over in the cot, she found the space next to her empty. Footsteps were heard from outside the tent. Horses pounding their hooves on the ground, neighing with annoyance as they waited for the breakfast. A faint wind gently tousled the leaves of the few trees. All together it was the melody of an army before war.
Pushing her way through the tent, the sun’s beams blinding Vaeri. Covering her eyes with a hand, she looked around. Men sat around hammer in hand, fixing their weapons and armor. The sound of metal against metal was heard throughout the valley as they prepared for the upcoming battle. Vaeri grabbed a bushel of hay and snuck an apple to her steed. The mare was a glowing white—her coat glossy.
“Cohava,” Vaeri whispered into her ear, as she stroked her muzzle and snuck her an apple, “Don’t tell anyone I got you that. The other horses will be jealous.” Cohava neighed happily at her as she took a crunch of the apple and chewed slowly savoring every bite.
Grabbing a comb, Vaeri combed out the mare—brushing away the small amount of dirt. She braided Cohava’s mane at the top so that it was still able to fall loosely and comfortably. Kissing her between the eyes, Vaeri left her horse and searched for her fiancé.
She spotted him from across the field. He stood besides Gimli and Aragorn—horses in hand. Her brows furrowed as she watched them worriedly, were they about to leave?
Rushing towards them, she jogged up to Legolas. “Are you leaving? You cannot leave on the eve of battle.” Vaeri said panicking slightly, she didn't want to ride into battle without him by her side.
Legolas remained silent a grim look on his face. “No…you can’t leave.”
Turning around, he took his hands in hers. He searched in her ocean eyes looking for a response. “You know that you do not wish to take this path so I will not ask you to journey with me but I must go with him. You know I must.”
Vaeri nodded her head slightly, not liking the situation at all. She was barely keeping her head on straight as it was. Strange thoughts have been swirling through her mind, creating chaos. Thoughts of the man from her dreams, thoughts of death and worst of all they weren’t her thoughts. She could feel them being forced into her head, twisting her thinking, corrupting her soul. The only solace she could find was the man in front of her and now he was leaving. Vaeri had never been so terrified in her life.
He pulled her into his arms, comfort spreading threw her every limb just being in his arms. She wrapped her arms around him squeezing tightly, not wanting him to let go. Not wanting the moment to end for she feared that a moment like this may never happen again.
Legolas pulled smiling down at her, “Hey.” He said as he poked her nose, “Smile.” Offering what she could, which was nothing more than a grim smile, Legolas pecked her lips with a short kiss before turning away from her and into the mountain path.
Lost. That was all she felt as Legolas disappeared from her desperate eyes. Wrapping around herself, Vaeri tried to find solace within her but nothing helped. Éowyn came towards her wrapping her arms around her friend, gladly Vaeri accepted the gesture. The two friends found comfort in each others arms each minds forlorn as they watched the men they loved disappear.
“Let us talk in private,” Éowyn whispered as she pulled away and began to walk away. Vaeri peered at her curiously following in her footsteps. Reaching a tent, her friend pulled back the heavy fabric entering the small space. The cloth was beige, the air stale. “I am riding into battle and I would like you by my side. I am fearful of the battle but my heart truly wished to fight for the protection of my people.”
“How could you think I wasn’t going to be by your side?” Vaeri asked with a smile following with a wink, “I mean who’s going to make sure you stay out of trouble.”
Éowyn beamed at Vaeri bringing her friend into another hug. “I hope that we never part ways as friends. You are truly the only person I feel as if I can share my thoughts freely.”
“Woah now. Let’s not get all mopey over here.” Vaeri laughed, “But I also feel the same way.”
“The battle will be fierce tomorrow but I already feel better having you by my side.” Éowyn said with a smile. Vaeri frowned slightly thinking of the upcoming battle, she twirled the ring around her finger finding solace in the simple gesture.
“May I admit to you something?” Vaeri asked looking at Éowyn seriously. The light, happy mood dissipated quickly as she shook her head in a yes. “Ever since the Palantíri has touched my hands, I have felt a darkness growing inside me—twisting my thoughts. I have such violent thoughts at time and it frightens me. I imagine myself killing foe after foe, loving the blood I shed…I love watching the light burn out of my enemies eyes, I want to twist my dagger and make the feel the most pleasurable pain…” Vaeri trailed off clapping a hand over her mouth realizing what she was saying.
“Take off the ring.” Éowyn said taking a step towards her, holding out her hand. Her palm was smooth not a sign of calluses.
“Why?” She asked defensively clutching her hand to her chest not wanting to part with it.
“The entire time you said those horrible things, you were stroking it like it was something that you cherished.”
“You’re imagining things.” Vaeri said with a look of scorn, never wanting to part with it. It was hers, not Éowyn’s. She didn't have the right to take it from her. It was the only thing she had left that reminded Vaeri of her parents.
“Fine. If I hear you say anything like that again. I will not hesitate to take it from you.” Éowyn threatened.
Vaeri scoffed, she would like to see her try to take it from her. She had years of battle compared to the woman in front of her. She could kill her so easily and Éowyn wouldn't even stand a chance. Her blade would drip with fresh blood…Vaeri shook her head horrified by the thoughts of killing her dearest friend. “I need to go…”
Running from the tent, a hand clasped over her mouth keeping the horrified sounds from escaping her lips. What was wrong with her? Could it be the ring? Staring down at the precious jewel, Vaeri took it off holding it in her hand. It had to be. Reaching the cliff that overlooked the plains below, Vaeri grasped the ring in her hand preparing to cast it from her life.
But she couldn’t. As she stood there about to rid herself of the object, Vaeri could hear a soft whispering in the back of her mind. A purr, comforting to her. Her body began to relax, her hand unclenched releasing the ring from her firm grip. Vaeri closed her eyes, the whisper caressing her mind until Vaeri forgot what she was doing by the edge and she headed back into camp—all worries out of her mind.

**
He took his hand off the glowing orb. The orange flames brightly standing against the endless black. It was working impossibly well, he hadn't expected it to be so effective. Smiling to himself, he watched as the walked away from the cliff. It wouldn’t be long now…not long at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for the update! I've been swamped with school work, I will try to post faster!