Middle Earth's Last Hope

Charge

There was an uneasy silence in the air—the only sound were the pounding of hooves across the ground. Dust was heavy in the air from the many riders moving across the dusty ground. Merry rode with Éowyn, her arm was protectively laid across his chest to make sure he did not fall from the horse.
Vaeri could hear the cries of battle in the distance. There wasn't much time before the would reach Minas Tirith and to war. Smoke was rising into the air in heavy clouds making her steed uneasy. Whispering few comforting words, she stroked her hair through her horses long mane, providing her comfort.
Turning her head she looked at Éowyn, her hair was tucked into her shirt while she wore a helmet to hide her feminine features. Looking around, Vaeri could see the uneasy glances of men towards her. They did not approve of a woman fighting along side them. They believed war was for men, not for ‘fragile’ women.
Vaeri brought her horse closer to Éowyn, reaching out her hand which she quickly grabbed. They made eye contact both offering small smiles—all that could be given for their minds were on the battle ahead.
The landscape took a turn towards a hill, the horses having to work harder to reach the top of the slope. The men in front began to slow their horses to a stop. As she peeked over the hill which they stood a top of, Vaeri gasped. It was much worse than she had imagined.
The lower levels of Minas Tirith were in flames, smoke rising into the morning the sky. Thousands upon thousands of orcs stood in their way from the hill to the gates. Pulling the bow from her back, Vaeri gripped it roughly taking a deep breath. She closed her eyes imagining a more peaceful place where everything was as it should be.
As she opened her eyes, Vaeri snuck a look at Éowyn seeing the fear evident both in Merry and her eyes. The situation looked grime at best.
“We must have courage. Courage for our friends.” Vaeri breathed, her only response were the slight nods from the comrades surrounding her.
Words heard easily due to the silence around them were heard from the king, “Gamling, follow the King’s banner down the centre. Grimbold! Take your company aright after you pass the wall. Ride forth and fear no darkness!”
The king turned his attention to the men and women in front of him. His eyes looking over the brave souls who were about to sacrifice everything to save the world they knew. “Arise! Arise riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered, a sword day, a red day ere the sun rises!!”
The men slowly lowered the spears preparing for the charge. The cries of the orcs were heard below as they began to take formation. Vaeri put down her bow, with a shaking hand gripped the handle of her sword and pulled it from it’s sheath. The metal glinting in the morning sun.
Éowyn turned her head towards Vaeri, “Whatever happens stay with me, we will look after one another.” Vaeri shook her head taking a deep breath, trying to calm her shaking hands. Theoden rode past his men, his sword drawn as it clashed against the spears from the men in the first row.
“Ride now, ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world’s ending! DEATH!” The king bellowed, Vaeri’s blood was pumping—adrenaline bursting through her veins.
“DEATH!” The men around her screamed, releasing all of their fear through the simple word as the embraced what was ahead of them.
His sword high in the air, the suns rays splaying off the metal in the sky. Theoden bellowed, “DEATH!”
Vaeri released her voice, raising her sword in the air to join the chorus of the fearful souls around her, “DEATH!”
“DEATH!” The king bellowed one last looking at his men before he turned his attention to the army in front of him.
“DEATH!” The men and women cheered.
“Forth Eorlingas!” The king shouted as the horns of Rohan were heard across the lands. The sound bringing hope to Vaeri for a brighter future. The king slowly lowered his sword, pointing it at the horde of orcs in front of him as began a slow walk that developed into a deadly gallop.
Vaeri ushered her steed forward, sword still raised followed suite. Her heart pounded in her chest, her mind rushed with hope—not a trace of fear in her mind as she galloped down the hill side towards the army of Mordor.
“CHAAARGE!” The faint yell of the king was heard through the bellowing of the men around him as they charged towards death itself. The men cheered behind their king, ready to die for Middle Earth.
Arrows flew through the air, men around her falling from the arrows striking them or their horse. They pushed on knowing that they could not stop. Arrows fell freely from the sky, striking many but none stopping.
The two fronts clashed. The bloodshed beginning. Vaeri rode on, striking the orcs on either side of her as the two friends rode side by side, protecting one another. They flew through the first rank of orcs, slaughtering them. Though men fell around them, it did not stop their determination to kill the only things that stood in their way of peace.
They found hard, Merry and Éowyn using their blades to strike down their opponents. After the field had begun to clear of the orc, Vaeri quickly sheather her sword pulling out her trusty and began to fire arrow after arrow into the hearts of the orc army.
The rohirrim fought bravely quickly killing the orc army, “Drive them to the river!” The cries of Éomer were heard as the orcs began to flee from the battle.
“Make safe the city!” Theoden cried a small smile appearing on his lips, there was a chance that they were going to win this.
Vaeri smiled as she watched the pitiful orcs flee from the battle wanting to save their own skin. A horn was heard in the distance—a horn she could not recognize. Drawing her attention she looked towards where the orcs were fleeing. Her heart dropped—horror filling her mind.
Éowyn seeing the look of devastation plastered on Vaeri’s face, turned to see what had caught her friends eye. The same look was now etched into her features as she stared at the new enemy approaching them head on.