Middle Earth's Last Hope

The Snap

The Nazgul lunged its head down as Vaeri accepted her death. She closed her eyes waiting for the brief moment of pain and than the feeling of nothing. It never came.
Slowly opening her eyes, the Nazgul’s teeth were inches from her face but it had not given the finishing blow. It peered at her with curious eyes, retreating away from her as if telling Vaeri that it meant her no harm. It moved it’s long neck in a fluid motion, its head whipping backwards as if motioning for her to climb onto it’s scaly back.
Slowly climbing to her feet, Vaeri heard not a sound of battle around her but could see that the fighting was still continuing. It seemed as if the world was speeding up or in retrospect she was slowing down.
Jolts of pain spiked through her brain— The darkness that had slowly been building inside finally beginning it’s final assault of her mind. She felt like a piece of clay being molded into a weapon of mayhem. There was nothing she could do to stop it.
Vaeri couldn't do anything. Her body was numb, nothing around her making sense. It was a vast confusion as she felt herself being pushed into the darkest part of her mind taking over.
Snap.
The battle around peeked into focus the cries of men and the clashes of swords swarmed her every sense. Blood was thick on her blade and she breathed in the smell of death—shivering in delight. A mixture of bloodlust and adrenaline pumped through her blood as she saw her first victim.
They never saw her coming. With a slash of her blade, the man’s head tumbled to the ground. Blood splattering across her face, some spilling into her mouth which she tasted greedily wanting more. Vaeri was nothing more than a flurry of blades that slashed down her once allies into nothing more than corpses.
The Nazgul let out a cry and Vaeri quickly turned her attention to the beast as it’s eyes darted to the green glow coming from the ocean. Vaeri screamed in fustration, her blood lust not sated. Turning towards a man, she quickly stabbed him in the chest. The man looked up at her confusion in his eyes, not understanding why his ally had just given him a fatal blow. His eyes glazed over and she spat at him in disgust—humans are weak.
Dashing towards the Nazgul, Vaeri leaped gracefully onto it’s back heading away from the one place she wanted to be.

**
Legolas’s eyes scoured the corpses looking for any sign of Vaeri. His heart beat heavily in his chest, Legolas fearing the worst. He had gone through to many bodies to count but all that laid before him were the body of men and orcs.
Gimli was shuffling through the aftermath only a few paces east of him but he seemed to be in the same situation as his friend.
The search continued, he attempted to keep his mind positive but the more he searched the less hopeful Legolas became. He cursed himself knowing that he shoulder never had let her join the battle. He should have kept her safe, out of harms way. He was a fool, an idiot.
Deep down inside though, he knew that he could not have prevented her from joining the battle. Vaeri was too passionate—if she believed in something than she would fight for it. There was no way he could have kept her from that, they were both fighting for the same thing. A better future—one that was not haunted by the name Sauron.
A raw scream of pain tore through Legolas, his grief finally spilling out of him and he could not control it. In mere rage, he kicked a helmet casting it away from him in a fitful fit of emotions. He fell to his knees in despair, sobs beginning to rack his body in his devastation.
A warm hand grasped his shoulder in an act of comfort, “Aye, Laddy. I’m sure she is fine. You know Vaeri, she's probably in the city walls helping the women and children. You will find her. It will just take some time.”
Legolas took a deep breath, seeing reason in Gimli’s words, trying to calm himself. Slowly he climbed to his feet—his body felt numb, his mind blank. Nothing seemed to matter, the world held him in a dark grasp. One that showed no light.

**
The Nazgul landed on the perch of a tower, high in the air. It was a desolate wasteland, the rock black the only lighting coming form the lava flowing from Mount Doom. Torches littered the ground showing the massive forces of Sauron—there were thousands of orcs and seemed to be a never ending army.
Vaeri smiled down at the orcs, the key to the world. She could already see it now, the lands covered in blood, corpses lying at her feet as Middle Earth burned around her. Adrenaline pumped through her veins at the thought, her hand already grasping her bloody blade in anticipation.
A cool silk voice greeted her—the one from her dreams. “I’ve been waiting for you.”
“My master.” Vaeri bowed her head sauntering over to him. His skin pale with long back hair and pale eyes appearing to be white and silver in light. There was no light here except from the flames of the torches.
“Come here.” Sauron spoke hunched over the table peering at maps—his armor gone only wearing a dark pair of trousers along with a matching shirt and black leather boots. The man’s appearance struck her similar to Legolas but his polar opposite. His pale eyes looked up at her, shooting Vaeri a devilish smile. “Now…tell me everything about your ‘friends.”