Middle Earth's Last Hope

The Fellowship of the Ring

Lord Elrond stood before the council, “Strangers from the distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. We have already lost the elvish Kingdom of Aendriata; None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate…this one doom.” Lord Elrond waits a moment before continuing, “Frodo, bring forth the ring.”
Vaeri watched as a hobbit walked towards the stone plinth setting down a gold ring and returns to his chair next to an older man dressed in gray robes and a pointy hat. “So it is true!” A man exclaimed quietly to himself.
“Sauron’s Ring…the ring of power,” Legolas mumbled in shock.
Vaeri leaned towards Legolas, “That’s the ring?” Legolas nodded numbly.
“The doom of man…” A dwarf mumbled darkly.
The man who had first spoken leaned forward, “It is a gift, a gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy…let us use it against him!”
Suddenly another voice filled the air, “You cannot wield it. None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone…it has no master.” The other man turned a cold eye to him.
“And what would a ranger know of this matter?” The man sneered.
Legolas stood up, startling Vaeri. “This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance, Boromir. He is the heir of Gondor.” Boromir turns sharply staring with hate at Aragorn.
“Gondor needs no king.” Boromir said sitting back down.
The older man with the gray robes spoke up, “Aragorn is right, we cannot use it.”
“You are correct, Gandalf. You have only one choice, the ring must be destroyed.” A dwarf stands, “Then what are we waiting for?” The dwarf raises his axe, swinging it down. When it collided with the ring, the axe shatters with a defining crack. The dwarf falls backward, shocked at the unharmed ring.
“The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Golin, by any craft that we possess.” Lord Elrond said frustrated by the outburst, “The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom, only there can it be destroyed. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this.”
“One does not simply walk into Mordor…” Boromir grumbled in annoyance.
“Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed.” Legolas asked Boromir.
“And I suppose you think you’re the one to do it?” Gimli exclaimed jumping to his feet.
“And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?” Vaeri asked in concern.
“I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!” Gimli exclaimed. Vaeri watched as the council burst to their feet, everyone shouting at everyone else. Only Vaeri, Frodo, and Lord Elrond remained seated. Argument were shouted across the room questioning who would be the one to take the ring to Mordor.
“I will do it…” She heard Frodo whisper quietly at first but stood up shouting it at the council. “Though I don’t know the way..”
“I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.” Gandalf said.
Vaeri surprised herself when she stood up, “I will also help, my kingdom was taken from me and I have no wishes to see that to happen to anyone else.”
“If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will. You have my sword.” Aragorn said kneeling before Frodo.
“And my bow.” Vaeri heard Legolas say as he stood next to her.
“And my axe.” Gimli said, “Well, i’ll need a new one…”
“If this is indeed the will of the Council, I will join.” Boromir said standing and joining the group around Frodo.
Vaeri heard a rustle from the bushes and soon another hobbit was racing towards the group, “You’re not going anywhere without me!”
“Or us!” As two other hobbits came sprinting from behind to columns.
“No, Indeed…it is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.” Elrond replied laughing lightly. Elrond looks at the group, “Ten companions, so be it. You shall be the fellowship of the ring.”
“Great…where are we going?” One of the smaller hobbits asked.
“Pippin…shut up.” Another hobbit said.
“Mary, I can say whatever I want.” Pippin replied.
“Well then it is decided then. The fellowship will set off in three days time to get you rest and be ready for your travels.” Lord Elrond said, “We will provide all the material you will need for your journey.” The council separated, the groups spreading out. Vaeri stayed back staring at the spot where the ring had been. She felt someone touch her shoulder and Vaeri jumped.
“It’s only me.” Legolas said, “Are you alright?”
“I promised my sister that I would be back soon…” Vaeri turned and looked at Legolas, “I fear that I am not going to see her for a very long time.” Legolas spun Vaeri around wrapping his arms around her. Vaeri slowly slid her arms around Legolas, nuzzling her head into the nook of his neck.
Legolas pulled away, Vaeri looked up hoping she hadn't been inappropriate. She started to move away from him when Legolas pulled her back, looking into her sea-foam green eyes that were sparkling in the sunlight. He slide one hand around her waist and softly touched her cheek. Legolas tilted her chin back, kissing her lightly on the lips before pulling away.
“I’m sorry. I need to do that at least once or I would never forgive myself.” Legolas whispered before walking away. Vaeri dashed forward, Legolas turned around hearing her follow. She cupped his cheeks and brought her lips to his. Vaeri could fell the smile on Legolas’ lips that quickly followed on her own. Vaeri wrapped her arms around Legolas’ neck their foreheads resting against each other, nothing but smiles on their faces.