Middle Earth's Last Hope

A Wound and an Engagement

Legolas watched in horror, as Vaeri’s branch snapped sending her falling towards the ground. The branch fell to the ground and Vaeri landed with on another branch, catching her fall. The wraiths were underneath, one grabbed her leg pulling her to the ground. He watched as she scrambled to her feet, quickly finding a way to escape. Legolas tensed up ready to jump, when she felt a hand grasp his shoulder.
Looking over his shoulder, Aragorn shook his head lightly. Legolas squeezed his eyes shut holding back his fear. He leaned against the tree, regaining his composer. Aragon spoke to him in elven, “She is smart, she will be okay.” Legolas nodded his head once, ignoring the ache in his chest.
“When light starts peaking over the horizon, it will be safe to go and search for her,” Gandalf said, “The creatures of Mordor cannot stand the light of day.”
The company slept in the trees, while Legolas watched the sky waiting for day break. At the first light of dawn, Legolas quickly jumped down the tree, landing in the crisp morning grass. He heard another soft thud, Aragorn standing next to him. The company slowly woke up, falling to grass.
“Legolas, Boromir and Aragorn go scout the woods look for any traces of her,” Gandalf said, “If you don’t find anything by the middle of the day. We have to go.” Legolas turned without replying before he started running through the woods, searching the ground for any clues of where Vaeri could have gone.
“Wait up, Legolas.” Aragorn said behind him, “I’m a tracker and you have strayed off the path.” Legolas nodded following Aragorn with Boromir closely behind them. Aragorn stopped every few minutes to check to make sure they were going the right way.
“She ran very far away,” Boromir observed trying to break the silence. They walked a few more steps when Aragorn stopped again.
“The path splits into two, she was followed by the Ring Wraiths.” Aragorn said grimly, “They split away from her going this way, probably circling her to try to trick her into thinking that they were gone.” Legolas’ face remained blank at the news, a pang in his chest hurting him deeply.
“Let’s keep going.” Legolas said as he continued onwards. They walked and came to a small clearing. The sun shined down, the small flowers blowing softly in the wind. They looked up at the sky, it was almost time to head back and there had been no sign of her. Legolas stared at the sky, wondering why the world was so cruel.
A gentle hand was placed upon his shoulder, “We have to turn back.” Aragorn said lightly to Legolas he turned toward his friend, his eyes showing nothing but deep pain.
“What’s that over there?” Boromir asked, pointing towards the end of the clearing where a shape was lying in the grass next to a tree. Legolas’ head snapped up looking at the object, he never had ran so quickly in his life. As he got closer, he could see light blonde hair and soon the form of a woman. Running, he slid down next to her.
“Vaeri…” Legolas said flipping her over so he could see her face. Legolas sobbed, she was moaning softly but her eyes were a pale blue and her skin a sickly white. He pulled her into his arms, “No…no..” Legolas mumbled.
“Legolas, she’s not dead.” Aragorn shaking his shoulder, “Legolas, move.” Boromir grabbed Legolas pulling him away from Vaeri. He didn’t struggle, he sat there his head buried in his hands. “No…” He kept mumbling to himself.
“She has already partly healed herself.” Aragorn said as he reached over Vaeri, grabbing a plant. “I just need to finish what she started.” Aragorn put the plant in his mouth, creating a paste and rubbed into her wounds, chanting words Legolas couldn't decipher. When Aragorn was done, Vaeri had already started looking better, her skin had started to turn back into its normal shade and her eyes were the color of the ocean again. Vaeri looked around clearly in daze, before she closed her eyes again.
“We need to head back,” Boromir said, looking at the sky. Legolas picked her Vaeri up cradling her in his arms.
“Thank you,” Legolas said offering a small smile to Aragorn; he replied with a small nod of his head.
They arrived back at camp just as the sun began to slowly fall from the sky. Gandalf sat on a tree trunk, smoking a pipe. He jumped to his feet in surprise when he saw that they had found her. “How is she?”
“Already doing better,” Legolas said smiling down at Vaeri.
“Is she okay?” Pippin asked rushing to Legolas, he nodded smiling.
“What happened?” Gandalf asked.
“She was stabbed by a Murgol-blade. A shard was protruding from the room but I got it out in one piece and used Athelas to heal her.” Gandalf shock his head, nodding for Aragorn to talk to him in private.
“How close was she?” Gandalf whispered in a hushed tone.
“If we had been there any later, it would have been to late.” Aragorn said grimly, Gandalf nodded his head.
“Let me have a look at her.” Gandalf said, he observed her wound and quickly finished the healing process with a few muttered words. “She should wake up soon.”
Night had descended, the wood crackling from the heat. Vaeri opened her eyes, her body felt like it had been run over by a legion of horses. She sat up wincing and clutched her stomach; she was starved. “Where’s my grub?” Vaeri asked walking toward the group sitting around the campfire.
“How are you feeling?” Legolas asked scooting over making room for Vaeri.
“Good as new,” Vaeri said ignoring the slight throbbing in her side, “So Pippin is this dinner or supper?”
“Sadly Dinner,” Pippin said, “We don't get supper.”
“We do.” Vaeri said laughing which was soon joined in by Pippin.
“Where do you put all that food?” Legolas asked eyeing Vaeri’s small frame. She shrugged as she took a sip of water.
Hey Vaeri, so Thranduil and I are engaged, Vaeri heard Nlaea say telepathically. Vaeri gagged on her water, spitting it into the fire. She coughed, Legolas slapping her back.
“Are you okay?” Legolas asked as she kept coughing in surprise.
“Uh..yeah.” Vaeri said staring at Legolas with wide eyes.
“What is it?’ Legolas asked eyeing her like she was crazy.
“Uh…I don’t know if you want me to tell you.” Vaeri said still in shock.
“Go ahead.” Legolas said taking a drink of his water.
“My sister and Thranduil are engaged.” Vaeri said watching Legolas for his reaction. Not five seconds later, he sputtered water coughing it into the fire.
“WHAT?” Legolas exclaimed, “How do you know this?”
“Well my sister and I can talk telepathically with these rings.” Vaeri said showing him her ring. “And she just told me that’s why I coughed up water.”
“What’s going on over there?” Boromir asked eyeing the two suspiciously .
“Nothing!” They exclaimed in unison. They sat their silently, awkwardness filling in the space between them. Legolas silently began to eat again while Vaeri was deep in thought. The question was past her lips before she could take the words back, “Well would it be my niece or your sister?”
Legolas chocked on his food. Vaeri slapped his back dislodging the food as he gasped for breath. He looked at her wide-eyed like a puppy and Vaeri bursted out into a fit of laughter. Pippin followed suit along with boasting laughter of Gimli.
“Aye, Legolas is going to have a little sister and Vaeri is going to have a wee little niece!” Gimli hackled clapping Legolas on the shoulder. Everyone around the campfire was shocked into silence except for the laughter of Vaeri, Gimli and Pippin who had heard their conversation.
“You mean to tell me that your sister is pregnant with Thranduil’s child?” Aragorn asked raising an eyebrow at Legolas, his face full of shock.
“No, no, no.” Vaeri said still in the fit of giggles, “My sister is engaged to Thranduil.”
“Wait.” Aragorn said, his eyes still full of shock, “Can you repeat that? I think my hearing is failing me.”
“Aren’t you two a thing?” Frodo asked eyeing Legolas and Vaeri causing their cheeks to flush.
“So Legolas, is she going to be your sister-in-law or step-mother?” Boromir asked laughing, the whole camp bursted into laughter at the comment, including Vaeri.
“Well with those awful images of my Father and my girlfriend’s sister burned into my mind, my appetite is gone.” Legolas said throwing his food in the fire. “I’m going to bed.”
The laughter died down, “We should all probably follow suit. We will need all our strength in the Mines of Moria.” Gandalf said throwing his scraps into the fire. They mood was killed at that note and soon everyone went to fetch their sleeping rolls.
Vaeri found Legolas at the edge of camp, his bed roll laid out in the moonlight. “Legolas, are you okay?”
“Im fine, that was just shocking news. My mother was killed when I was very young and my father never had any interest in any other woman, I never had a mother-figure growing up.” Legolas said clenching his fists, “I’m glad that he has found someone that makes him happy, but that woman is your sister!”
“Legolas…” Vaeri whispered standing behind him holding his fist. She rested her head on his shoulder, “I understand.” His hand relaxed, his fingers tangling with hers. Legolas sighed. “I’ll just need sometime.”
“We will both need time.” Vaeri said smiling sadly.