Middle Earth's Last Hope

Mines of Moria

The company walked farther into the tomb before setting up a small camp for the night. Only hushed whispers pierced the silence around them. They feared to talk knowing that something deep down in the mines had murdered all the dwarves in Moria.
Vaeri slept close to Legolas, every sound and movement startling her. The company was uneasy and very few got the rests they needed. When Gandalf told them to set off again they did but it was clear by the bags under everyones eyes that no one had gotten a solid of hour of rest. The fellowship traveled slowly, their minds full of distrust of the mines.
Walking on a small path, carved into the side of the cliff, “Do you know where the riches of Moria came from?” Gandalf asked casting his light down into the abyss. Lines of silver began to glow, throughout out the walls until you were unable to see it. “Mithril. They didn’t have wealth in gold or jewels.” They came across a step set of stairs, that was more like a ladder than stairs. Vaeri peeked her head over the top and saw that there were three pathways.
“I have no memory of this place…” Gandalf muttered sitting down on the rock overlooking the passages; he stared hard and long. Vaeri sat down on ledge, swinging her legs back and forth. Legolas sat down next to her with Pippin on her other side. They stayed silent waiting for Gandalf to speak.
“What a wonderful place to be,” Vaeri said throwing a rock in fustration.
“Why can’t there have been a feast?” Pippin said his stomach growling.
“Yes, where are the goblins with our meal?” Vaeri said looking around. Pippin laughed along with a slight chuckle from Legolas.
“We would have been the goblins meal,” Boromir said, who sat behind the three.
“If they shared I would be okay with that,” Pippin groaned.
Looking around at the group, “The hobbits would have been the appetizers.” Vaeri said tapping her finger.
“Ah and the men would have been the main course!” Pippin said, “Look how they big they are, they would have been feasting for a good three days on us.”
Legolas shook his head laughing at how they could joke about that in a place like this. “Oh! It’s that way!” Gandalf said suddenly surprising the group.
“You have remembered the way?” Sam asked happily.
“Ah no, but the air smells less rotten down this way.” Gandalf said cheerfully, “When and doubt follow your nose.”
“I can agree with that statement,” Pippin said smiling cheerfully as he followed.
“All you think about is food,” Mary complained to Pippin.
“And you don’t?” Vaeri asked raising an eyebrow. They traveled down the slopping pathway coming across more ruins of the once glorious dwarves kingdom. Vaeri stood in awe when they reached the end, thousands of towers stood, carved from stone; it was glorious.
“Oh!” Gimli exclaimed running ahead into an open door way. “No..” Gimli sobbed as he kneeled in front of a tomb.
“We cannot linger here,” Legolas said to Aragorn.
“Here lies Bolin, King of Moria.” Gandalf said grimly walking away as he saw a book in the hand of one of the corpses. He picked up the book, dust and dirt falling out of the book and onto the floor. “They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums drum in the deep. A shadow moves in the darkness. We cannot get out. They are coming.”
Vaeri felt chills go down her spin, filling her with fear. The room was shocked into silence, when a loud booming filled the air. Looking over Pippin stood next to a skeleton, it’s head falling down a well. Along with its body and chain connecting to its foot. The sounds echoes as it falls, filling the hearts of the fellowship full of fear. The sound stops and a few minutes pass before the rooms lets out a breath of relief.
“Fool of a took!” Gandalf said snatching back his hat and staff. “Next time threw yourself down there instead, and rid of us of your stupidity.”
They were about to leave the room, when they heard an echo of a drum. They stared at the well before Boromir dashed to the door, almost being hit by an arrow. He closed the doors and turned around, “They have a cave troll.” Aragorn rushed forward help Boromir support the doors. Legolas and Vaeri grabbed the old weapons tossing them to the two humans who used it to help delay the goblins.
Gimli jumped on top of the tomb, grabbing his two axes. Vaeri drew her bow, standing next to Legolas. A weapon came threw the molded wood and she released her arrow, hearing the satisfied squeal as her arrow hit her target. Boromir grabbed his shield and sword ready for the orcs.
“Stay by Gandalf!” Aragorn shouted to the hobbits. They stormed in, Vaeri releasing arrow after arrow until they came to close, causing to drop her bow and grab her daggers. She dispatched many before the cave troll came hurtling in. The troll targeted Sam and Vaeri grabbed the chain quickly followed by Aragorn and Boromir. They tugged the beast causing it to fall backwards right before it was about to squish Sam. Legolas fired to arrows in the beast, the troll grabbed the chain, using it as a chain. He dodged the attacks easily.
Vaeri grabbed one of her smaller daggers, throwing at the troll’s neck. It turned to her, her eyes widened as it lashed the chain at her. She rolled dodging the attack, she came behind a goblin that was attacking Frodo, quickly slicing its head off. “Stay by me.” Vaeri said protecting Frodo from the goblins. The troll charged at the two, “Run!” Vaeri yelled to Frodo, charging towards it. She slid underneath the monster, slicing her daggers at it’s legs. It roared in pain, stumbling forwards. A group of goblins surrounding her, she attacked, keeping a close eye on the troll.
She watched as Gimli hurtled one of his axes at the troll, embedding it in it’s shoulder. The troll saw Frodo, Mary and Pippin and headed towards them. It swung it’s hammer in the air swinging it down. Mary and Pippin jumped to the left, while Frodo jumped to the right.
“Aragorn!” Frodo yelled, as the troll grabbed his leg. Vaeri looked up to see a goblin behind Legolas, she threw her dagger. It struck it’s neck and fell to the ground before it could have attacked Legolas. Vaeri threw her last dagger, killing the last goblin in the room. Everyone was surrounding Frodo.
“I’m alright,” Frodo breathed, showing the company his mithril armor. They screams of the goblins came from an adjoining hall.
“To the bridge of Khazad-dûm!” Gandalf said ushering the Fellowship out of the room. Vaeri quickly grabbed her daggers before following the group. Hundreds of goblins chased the group and they were soon surrounded, the hobbits in the middle protected by the rest. Vaeri clutched her daggers staring at the large amount of goblins. Their eyes were large and yellow and seemed to glow; they were disgusting.
A roar filled the large room and the goblins looked around squealing. They ran away back up the columns and into the cracks in the ground. “Why did they leave?” Vaeri asked confused by the sudden disperse of their enemies. She looked to Gandalf so see that he looked extremely troubled. A sudden bright orange light began to travel towards them casting a flickering shadow against the towers.
“What is this new devilment?” Boromir asked fustration clear in his voice.
“A Balrog, a demon of the ancient world.  Its foe is beyond any of you, RUN!” Gandalf shouted. The company ran towards a small opening. The room glowed orange from the lava and fire below. Boromir was the first threw the entrance and he almost ran off the ledge, if Legolas hadn't grabbed a hold of him. They ran down the stairs being as careful as possible. They came to a section of the stairs that had fallen away from age.
Legolas jumped first followed by Gandalf; Boromir grabbed Mary and Pippin jumping across just as the floor gave way. They heard the wall smashing behind them causing the stairway to shake. Aragorn threw Sam, Boromir catching him easily. Aragorn went to toss Gimli, “No one tosses a dwarf.” He said before jumping the distance. He landed on the edge and Legolas grabbed his beard to prevent him from falling.
She felt a hand grab the back of her collar throwing her backwards. Looking where she just stood, the stairs had crumbled falling down to the fire below. Vaeri looked at the distance between them and the other side, the gap had at least tripled in size. Aragorn and Frodo were the only ones left with her on the other side. “I will go,” Vaeri said taking a deep breath. She took a few a steps back before flinging herself off the stairs with a blind hope that she would make it. Her adrenaline pumped as she saw that the distance was to far; she grabbed out blindly grabbing the stone for dear life.
A hand grabbed her wrist pulling her up and onto the stairs; her body shook. Looking up she saw the stair coming crashing towards them, Frodo balanced in Aragorn’s arm. The two stones collided and the ground shook. Aragorn and Frodo leapt onto the other side into the arms of Gandalf and Boromir. The ceiling came crashing down, causing the company to dash down the stair in a mad race for survival.
The finally made it to the bridge and quickly ran across it, a wall of fire behind them. The Balrog came through the wall of fire. Gandalf stopped in the middle of the bridge, the fellowship pausing to wait for him.
‘You shall not pass!” Gandalf shouted. Slamming his staff on the bridge, causing the bridge to begin to crumple beneath the Balrog’s feet. The balrog’s whip grabbed his ankle, knocking him off the cliff. Gandalf quickly grabbed onto the rocks, Vaeri sprinted to Gandalf aid but it was too late. “Run you fools.” And he fell.
“No…” Vaeri mumbled, she had been a only a few feet from him before he had fallen.
“Vaeri!” Legolas shouted at her, “We have to go!” She walked backwards slowly in shock, arrows flew past her head. She ran back joining the others. The reached the outdoors and they stopped. Everyones face held a mask of pain.
“By nightfall this hill will be swarming with orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come Boromir, Legolas, Gimli get them on their feet.” Aragorn said as he lift Sam onto his feet.
“For pities sake, give them a moment to grieve,” Boromir said as he looked at the devastated group.
“I cannot, if I do, well will all parish.” Aragorn said as he pushed the Fellowship onwards. The quickly reached the forest and met with a group of elves. Vaeri separated herself from the group, looking down at the glowing forest; guilt deep in her heart.