Middle Earth's Last Hope

Lembas

After some time, they were finally allowed to meet with Lady Galadriel. Vaeri watched the forest floor, looking at the golden flowers blowing lightly in the night’s breeze. Finding no comfort, in the beauty of the forest. After the climb up the tree they stood before Celeborn and Galadriel.
“Nine there are, yet ten set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak to him,” Celeborn said.
“He has fallen into shadow…” Lady Galadriel said softly, “ The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of al. Yet hope remains while the company is true.”
Vaeri, She heard Galadriel say to her in her mind, You take blame for Gandalf’s death. So close to saving him, yet so far away. Vaeri turned her head away, a tear sliding down her cheek, Do not take blame. It was his choice. Vaeri turned away, not believing a word Lady Galadriel said. Go, I will not take offense. Vaeri turned away, walking quickly walking away from the meeting, as tears slide down her cheeks.
The company watched her leave, Legolas taking a step to go after her. Lady Galadriel nodded her head towards him allowing him to leave. Legolas stormed after Vaeri, not knowing where she had gone. She blamed herself, Legolas knew as much. After going down the the stairway back onto the forest floor, he saw her run off into the woods.
Vaeri stumbled across the soft floor of the forest. Finally coming to the waterfall, she had been desperately looking for. As a child, Vaeri and her mother came here all the time to watch the soft wall of water cascade down, kissing the stones at the bottom. Vaeri tore off her boots, throwing them aside. Vaeri stepped into the cool water, reminiscing the days when her mother and her would play in the small cove. She fell to her knees sobbing, overcome by grief. Vaeri wrapped her arms around her body, holding herself as she rocked back in forth.
Walking into a clearing, Legolas paused in awe at the beautiful sight before him. He quickly snapped out of his haze, when he saw Vaeri’s hunched form kneeling in the water. As he walked closer he could hear her soft sobs of despair. Legolas walked into the water, only rounded stones underneath.
Vaeri heard the sound of someone approaching her but she didn't care. “Vaeri…” She heard the soft whisper of Legolas, he placed his hand lightly on her shoulder but she flinched away, standing.
“It’s all my fault that he is dead! If I had been faster or stronger, I would have been able to save him…I would have been able to save my parents!” Vaeri cried out, her voice cracking.
“There was nothing you could do,” Legolas said pulling Vaeri into his arms as she shook against him, “There was no way you could have known that your kingdom was going to be attacked.”
“I used to come here with my mother,” Vaeri said between sobs, “But that can’t happen anymore…she’s gone. It’s all gone..” She clutched his clothes, “All gone…”
“Nothing is gone.” Legolas said placing his hand above her heart, “It’s all still in here.” Her sobs turned into breathless gasps for air. Legolas lifted her chin, looking into her eyes. Her eyes were filled with hope and he had never loved someone as much as he loved her.
Vaeri was surprised when she felt the hesitant touch of his lips against hers, she kissed him back, pulling him toward her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, running her fingers through his hair. Legolas slid his arms around her waist, pulling her closer until Vaeri couldn't tell where his body began and hers ended.
She felt herself taking steps backwards, until she felt the water from the waterfall cascading down her body. They stood under the water loving the feeling of easy the water brought. She heard a small gasp come from Legolas, she opened her eyes and saw that they had entered the small house Lady Galadriel had made for her Mother and Vaeri. Legolas smiled, picking up Vaeri he carried her to the soft bed in the middle of the room.
Lying her down on the bed, “I love you” Legolas whispered, Vaeri almost didn’t hear him. She cupped his check, “And I love you.” She brought her lips to his and they showed each other what love meant.

**

Legolas was the first to wake. He turned over in the bed seeing Vaeri’s peaceful form next to him. She was lying on her stomach, hair hair fanned around her. Legolas touched her soft hair and smiled when she began to stir. Vaeri awoke looking up at Legolas, her face erupted into a smile.
“We are leaving soon.” Legolas said as crawled out of the bed, followed shortly by Vaeri. Vaeri slipped on her clothes and they headed towards the river. Lady Galadriel stood before their company offering them gifts. For Legolas a bow, Vaeri a set of short-swords, Frodo light of the evening-star, etc. They were all given cloaks that would help blend them into the environment when unfriendly eyes were around and they filled their packs full of fresh water and food, mostly Lembas bread with a variety of fruits.
Lady Galadriel led the company to pier and before them floating in the water were three canoes. “Lembas. Elvish bread.” Legolas said staring kindly at the bread before taking a bite, “One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a man.” He said to Merry and Pippin. Vaeri stood on the side helping load the canoes.
Merry turned towards Pippin, “How many have you eaten?”
“Four.” Pippin replied burping, Vaeri laughed.
“We will surely run out if that is how much you are going to eat.” Vaeri scolded playfully.
“How many have you eaten?” Pippin chirped.
“Three.” Vaeri said laughing, joined by Merry and Pippin.
Legolas, Vaeri and Gimli in one. Aragorn, Frodo and same in another. And lastly Boromir, Mary, and Pippin in the third. They set off, the water swift but calm beneath their crafts. Vaeri leaned over gently trailing her fingers in the water.
The forest was beautiful, it loomed over the company keeping them in a cool shade. Cliffs, surrounded either side of the river and they journeyed by quickly. Vaeri gasped, two massive statues of men were carved into the cliff side. “These are the gates of Arganoth.”
“Let us get to the shore of En Hither!” The heard Aragorn shout, as he began steering the canoes towards the shore. When the canoe hit the rocky sand, Legolas jumped out of the canoe followed by Vaeri and they pulled it onto shore.
“Well aren’t you pampered.” Vaeri said sarcastically to Gimli who sat enjoying the ride.
“Would you expect anything else?” Gimli replied and Vaeri laughed.
Aragorn approached the group, “We cross the lake at nightfall, hide the boats and then continue on foot. We will approach Mordor from the North.”
“Oh, yes! Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impossible labyrinth of razor sharp rocks. But wait, it gets even better! After that we will come to a festering, stinking marshland, far as the eye can see.” Gimli replied gloomily, he voice dripping with sarcasm.
“This is our road. I suggest you get some sleep and recover your strength, Master Dwarf.” Aragorn replied, not denying a thing.
“Recover my…” Gimli grumbled to himself, “I’ve never been better.”
Vaeri felt a dark presence in the woods, “We should leave now.” Legolas said to Aragorn before she could say it.
“No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore.” Aragorn replied as he began to unpack his canoe.
“That is not what concerns me.” Legolas replied looking deep into the forest.
“I agree. There is a shadow and a threat in the forest that is drawing near.” Vaeri replied turning to Aragorn hoping he would change his mind.
“Where is Frodo?” Merry asked suddenly, everyone turning looking for the small Hobbit. What frightened them most was that Boromir was gone as well.