Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

“The Warden” Submits Final Proposal to City of NY for Rikers Football

(September 30th, 2007) Moments ago, Elwood Jenkins or “The Warden” submitted the finalized proposal for the revival of Rikers Island’s Football program.

“The Warden” was seen leaving the City Government Center proudly, alongside his wife, Connie, and his son, Elroy. “The Warden” and his family were all smiles and he stopped by to say a few words about the proposal.

“A lot of time and effort has been put into that proposal. Not just by me, but by my loving friends, family, and inmates who still have dreams of hope in this life. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears are shed at my jail day in and day out without anyone on the outside knowing about it. There people may have made mistakes but they are people too. Giving them hope of a better tomorrow brings me emence joy and I trust that the City Council will consider that while they deliberate on whether or not to approve this program.”

The selflessness and heart of “The Warden” were on display during that statement. The true courage and confidence that it takes for a man to go against society for something that he truly believes in is awe inspiring.

There is no time table for when the Council will vote on the football program. The city council will begin deliberations soon, and once they reach a decision, it will be announced in a public meeting.