Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

“The Warden” and his Wife Shot at leaving store, No Arrests Yet

(October 7th, 2007) At 8:57pm this evening, two assailants in a Teal Geo Metro sped up to a local Quickie Mart. The security camera shows the car waiting in the parking lot for 30 minutes while “The Warden” and his wife, Connie, shopped for groceries.

At 9:27pm, gun shots were fired as Connie and “The Warden” pushed a shopping cart full of groceries towards their car. Both “The Warden” and Connie ducked and tried to hide behind the shopping cart. Shots were fired from two guns, and neither stopped until both guns appeared to run out of ammo.

Once emptied, the Teal hatchback ‘sped’ away. “The Warden” and his wife stayed behind the shopping cart in horror as they tried to come to terms with what had happened.

They slowly stood up to find a shopping cart full of shot up junk food, and soda. They broke down into tears as they realized that those groceries could’ve easily been them.

Investigators arrived on the scene shortly after and compiled as many details as possible from the Jenkins family, as well as other eye witnesses. One eye witness, Claude Newman, claimed that there was only one shooter, who was shooting two pistols, and who was the same “big ole feller” that burned down “The Jailhouse” and egged the Jenkins’ house.

Police doubt Newman’s reliability as he had made the run to that Quickie Mart to buy more booze since he had drank way more than he expected he would that night.

Both “The Warden” and Connie were unharmed by the shooting. However, both claimed to be too rattled to talk to the press. Investigators and police officers remained at the scene of the shooting into the wee hours of the morning.