Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Rikers Football Program Approved!

(October 11th, 2007) Moments ago, it was made official that the City of New York voted and approved the proposal to revive the Rikers Island Football program.

“The Warden” and his family were on hand to witness the official announcement. Joy radiated from him as he gave the board a standing ovation, and clapped. He couldn’t stop smiling as he sat through the remainder of the meeting. Upon the completion, he stopped by to give us a statement.

“Today, justice was served. Those great people that I work with now have hope in their lives for the first time in years. Some may have never had hope of any fun or excitement. Today, many lives were touched, and there will be positive impacts. I know that I have been met with a lot of resistance but I encourage all of you who understand this mission of bringing hope for a better tomorrow to these people, to celebrate tonight. We did it, all of us!”

“The Warden” was moved to tears and he turned around and promptly kissed his wife, Connie, and rapped his son, Elroy, up in a giant bear hug. He then kissed the forehead of his tiny grandson, Woody and picked him up. The man was clearly overcome with joy.

Details about the new construction, and time tables will be made available as soon as we hear them.