Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Connie: We’ve Seen the Last of the Vandals, Arsonists

(November 1st, 2007) Not even 24 hours since her husband of 40 years was laid to rest, Connie Jenkins gathered reporters together for a public press conference to formally update everyone on the status of the Rikers Island Jail football program.

Connie announced that she had privately funded a 24 hour, 7 day a week, security team to monitor the construction site of “The Jailhouse.” When asked why, Connie quoted “The Warden” by saying that it was a small price to pay for bringing joy to thousands of people down the road.

Connie also announced that she would privately pay a portion of the life insurance towards boosting the construction process along. She again quoted her husband by saying that there is no time to waste.

The remainder of the life insurance would be used to help the police track down the shooter of “The Warden.” Connie stated that there has never been someone who has needed more justice then the filthy animal who did this to her husband. The anger and hostility was noticeable, but Connie quickly shifted back towards more details about work assignments, schedules, and ways to maximize efficiency.

Inmates of Rikers Island have also been called upon to serve on chain gangs in order to handle some of the time consuming manual labor that would really expedite the process. There were too many inmates to go out who volunteered so Connie broke down the groups into shifts. The willingness of the inmates to do so much hard manual labor was awe inspiring. Connie was moved to tears as she explained that all of the able inmates, both men and women, wanted to volunteer to work. She felt it was testament of what a great influence her late husband was to them.