Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Construction of “The Jailhouse” Nears Completion!

(March 2, 2012) After many years of hard work, and dedication, “The Jailhouse” was nearing completion. Connie Jenkins walked around the facility with tears in her eyes and a huge smile on her face as she marveled at the masterpiece of a stadium that it was.

She almost let her emotions get the best of her but she knew she needed to take care of business in order to ensure that her team would be ready to go by kickoff in the fall.

At a press conference moments ago, Connie stated that the excitement around the Rikers Island jail complex was palpable. Everyone was excited, and was motivated to work out, and excersize, and work together. She stated that her husband’s dream of instilling hope in these people had in fact not died with him, and that seeing it pan out before her eyes has truly been a blessing.

She announced that she was officially starting the quest for a coaching staff, and would look to sign them to a multiple year contract as long as they vowed to bring the hard work and dedication to this program that would meet the expectations of “The Warden” if he were alive to judge. She stated that she wasn’t concerned with wins, but rather with the passion and fire to get better. She believed that with that mentality, success would soon follow.

She announced that the inmates were participating in tryouts, and that the finalized rosters would be made available at the same time NCAA teams make their rosters known. She would begin calling to set up games with opponents, and begin the process of trying to join a conference. She knew this would take years, but she wanted to start right away because “there is no time to waste!”