Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Shanking!

(September 5, 2012) Earlier this afternoon, Rikers Island Inmate football players, Blair McCormick, was rushed into the medical ward after being shanked repeatedly in the showers.

McCormick is the reserve running back for the Rikers Island football team, and had started as the main kick returner before sustaining a likely concussion in Rikers Island’s first game against the Navy Midshipmen.

Interim Head Coach, Claude Newman, offered insight on why McCormick may have been shanked.

“It’s about time someone got ‘em! He’s been annoying the fudge out of everyone around here, asking us all ‘trick or treat?’ It’s like he got some screws knocked loose in the last game or something. He ain’t been the same sense. Still annoying the tar out of us all though. I figure that’s why them fellers shanked him while he was taking a shower!”

Newman’s insight is likely correct. Blair McCormick sustained a hellacious hit on Saturday’s game as he tried to pick up a fumble against the Navy Midshipmen. McCormick bobbled it and was then laid out as he grabbed it up. His helmet popped off and didn’t land for 20 yards.

McCormick was knocked out for 20 minutes before slowly regaining consciousness. However, since waking up, he has been under the illusion that it is Halloween. He also believed that he was dressed as a Fairy Princess, and hasn’t stopped asking every inmate that he sees ‘Trick or Treat?’

The medical ward reports that McCormick was shanked 12 times with the business end of multiple sporks before he collapsed to the ground, and passed out. Inmates on the next shower shift found him crumpled up at the bottom of the shower.

McCormick is in stable condition and is resting soundly at the Rikers Medical Ward, but no timetable has been set on his return.

Head Coach Connie Jenkins was by McCormick’s side as doctors evaluated him. She was seen cursing under her breath as she realized that he too would miss this Saturday’s matchup with the Army Black Knights.

Coach Connie Jenkins will serve her 1 game suspension during the Army game for becoming hostile and violent on the sidelines during the Rikers Island Inmates first loss to the Navy Midshipmen.

Blair McCormick’s absence will likely mean that an ugly game for Rikers Island will get even uglier.