Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Game #2: Pregame

There was an extra happy buzzing amongst the inmates of Rikers Island jail as they were being chained together to be walked to the football field. The game against the Army Black Knights was set to begin at 7:30pm, which was only 30 minutes before usual 8pm lockdown for the night.

The security staff at the jail agreed to allow the inmates to watch until halftime before having to return to their jail cells. The inmates hoped that they’d get an extra hour or so out of their cell then they usually did.

The visiting Army Black Knights brought more fans to the game than Navy had. The visiting bleachers filled up fast. However, the home bleachers were completely empty once again….

Music boomed from the top-of-the-line speaker system that “The Warden’s Jailhouse” dome had. Mascot ‘Inmate Ike’ was hopping around and the cheerleaders were trying to fire up the inmates in the caged up ‘Student Section’ by using spirit fingers. The jail chorus group proudly paraded around the field in formation, attempting to spell out words like college bands do on National TV. They were failing miserably.

As time for kickoff began drawing nearer, it was time to begin the pregame routine. The cheerleaders would begin the festivities so Co-Captain Derricka Rose called the girls together.

Derricka had missed the first game due to ‘Body Fatigue’ (aka feeling tired) Her return from her fake injury was quick as expected. She was the most talented cheerleader on the squad as she had cheered in both college and high school.

Derricka started the chant and the other girls followed suit. The presentation looked magnificent as Derricka had catered the performance around each of the girls strengths. Derricka, performed a series of flips, and cartwheels as the rest of the girls began to build a human pyramid. As they finished, Derricka gracefully climbed to the top and the group chanted “Go Rikers! Go!”

The inmates went crazy. Cheering and shouting in approval as the cheerleading squad scampered off the field. The performance also drew applause from the Army fans who were impressed that they had managed to put a successful performance together.

The announcer brought up that the pregame performance would now move to the amazing ‘Inmate Ike!’ ‘Inmate Ike’, the mascot of the Rikers Island Inmates, was planning to jump around and juggle at midfield and then run off cheering. However, once again, Inmate Ike had been arrested and was in handcuffs walking towards the tunnel.

Inmate Ike didn’t realize that a ‘T-shirt Cannon’ was against the rules for him to have. Inmate Ike had seen the mascot of Army shooting T-Shirts into the crowd, so when the mascot laid it down, Inmate Ike stole the T-shirt Cannon. Inmate Ike began waving the T-shirt Cannon around and pointing it at police officers. This led to Inmate Ike once again being tackled and slapped into handcuffs, while in full costume.

The inmates in the caged in “student section” cheered for Inmate Ike as he slowly made his way towards the tunnel, escorted by police officers. Army fans looked very confused as they wondered if that was part of the show or not.

The announcer quickly moved on. He announced that the Rikers Island Jail Chorus would now be performing the Rikers Island Fight Song, as well as the National Anthem.

The chorus marched onto the field proudly in formation. Music began to play for the Rikers Island fight song, but none of the chorus group had heard it before or practiced it….

Connie had picked out a fight song and instructed Claude Newman to teach the chorus group the words since the NCAA had restricted Connie from any involvement with gameday preparations during her suspension. Connie had repeatedly called and texted Claude to remind him to do it.

Claude, in a drunken stupor had lied about doing it, and Connie backed off, but yet again, the chorus group looked like idiots. Claude was sipping his ‘Special Gatorade’ on the sideline, and seemed oblivious to the fact that the chorus wasn’t singing correctly. When the music ended, Claude clapped loudly and cheered. Everyone else in the stadium just blankly stared.

The national anthem went almost as poorly, although some on the chorus members had taken the time to stop by the jail library and learn the words to the National Anthem. They began to sing louder and louder as those who had no idea began to just hum quietly. The group managed to look way better than last week’s fail at Navy, so applause across the dome was heard as they left the field.

The announcer then called the attention of the crowd to the tunnel where the football teams were waiting. It was finally game time!

Claude took a giant swig of ‘Special Gatorade’ and prepared for the worst, as the smell of booze radiated off of him. However, he would soon find that no amount of booze could prepare him for how badly this game would go….