Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

“The Jailhouse” set on fire, Arson suspects escape

(September 3rd, 2006) Less than 3 hours after our news crew left “The Jailhouse” an arsonist set fire to the partially built dome and fled the scene.

Only one eye witness was on the scene, Claude Newman. Newman stank of booze, and had supposedly been trying to clean up some of the mess that was left by the vandals from earlier in the day. Newman is very incoherent at times, but he did manage to get a look at the suspect as he or she fled the scene.

“He was a big ole feller! At Least about 4 or 5 feet taller than me! Saw him as he ran by, as scared as a deer being chased by a hunting dog. I was over yonder cleaning that there mess that them vandals left, when I start smelling smoke. I turn around to see a huge blazing fire, and that big ole boy high tailing it out of there. When I say big, I mean big. I’d say between 200-300 pounds bigger then men.”

While Claude seemed convinced, police officers questioned the accuracy of his eye witness account since Claude stands around 6’1 and is obese. Claude was asked more questions about the accident, but our news crew couldn’t understand at all. Therefore, it is advised that the people of the greater New York area should be on the look out for a large man, who isn’t scared of committing arson.

The fire further damaged “The Jailhouse.” At this point in time, there is no telling when construction will resume.