Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Cheer Up

Still upset from the meeting with Derricka, Connie stormed outside. She hastily ripped out a cigarette from her pocket and sparked it up.

Connie knew that smoking was against the rules in that part of the jail, but she also didn't care. The fact that she hadn't slept at all was starting to catch up to her, and Connie knew that her nerves were shot following the disappointment of the meeting with Derricka.

Connie stared off into space as she took another long drag of the cigarette. Her mind was racing. She couldn't help wondering how much of a let down Derricka was. She allowed herself to view Derricka as a hero who possessed a special quality to reach out and help others reach success. She couldn't believe how wrong she had been....

However, Connie began to wonder if it was possible that Derricka was actually a heroic figure to the girls around her, and if Derricka simply didn't trust authority. She took a long drag of her cigarette as she pondered if her hate of Fu Fu was actually significant enough to warrant Derricka acting so poorly in the meeting.

She honestly didn't know what to think at this point. She only knew how she had felt during the meeting, and that wasn't good at all. Connie simply couldn't get over the fact that Derricka had the audacity to laugh at her when she suggested that Derricka was evil. That was beyond disrespectful!

Connie could feel herself getting worked up as she pictured Derricka laughing in her face again. She tossed the cigarette down to the ground, disgusted that it hadn't done its job in calming her down. She was now even more stressed out....

Before getting involved with releasing Fu Fu, Connie elected to drop by the Medical Ward to see her injured players. She was anxious to get status updates on all of them, but she had grown attached to Blair McCormick, and his loveable 'Trick or Treating.' Connie believed if anything could cheer her up, and get her in a better mood, it would be McCormick.

In preparation, Connie stopped by a vending machine and purchased a bag of candy to give to McCormick when he asked her 'Trick or Treat.' Whatever had happened to his head on the hard hit he took in the Navy game, had really knocked some screws loose. McCormick has been thinking that it was Halloween ever since....

After climbing a flight of stairs, Connie arrived at McCormick's room. She witnessed a nurse attending to his 'shank' wounds. McCormick cringed at the pain, but the nurse promised to put a bandaid on it after she checked it. This put a smile on McCormick's face.

As he noticed that Connie had walked in, his eyes lit up.

"Trick or Treat?" Connie giggled and pulled the bag of candy out of her pocket and handed it to him. She felt childish for giggling but after her rough morning, she was happy to have something to giggle at.

She smiled as she watched McCormick gleefully eat his candy. The level of joy that he was overcome with was refreshing in Connie's otherwise stressful and gloomy day. The candy had taken McCormick's mind off of the nurse touching his wounds, so she was able to finish up and put colorful bandaids on the boo boos for McCormick.

Connie caught herself smiling from ear to ear at McCormick as he happily chowed down on the candy. She snapped out of it quickly and asked the nurse how much longer it would be until he was ready to return to football.

The nurse estimated that he was at least a week away, maybe more. She cautioned Connie that it wasn't simply the wounds themselves, but that it was also the fact that McCormick had likely suffered a concussion on the big hit that he took, which was why he was 'Trick or Treating' in September....

Connie fully understood, and she had expected at least another game or two without McCormick. Any player who is 'Trick or Treating' in September can surely not be relied on in a football game.

As she glanced up at the clock on the wall, Connie knew that she needed to move on with her day. She leaned over and lightly hugged McCormick and beamed at him before turning to leave the room. The nurse gave her an awkward look, but Connie didn't care. McCormick had brightened her day so she felt as though a hug was definitely called for.

Thanks to McCormick's 'Trick or Treating' , Connie now felt the energy and drive to push on and tackle the rest of the day.