Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Ban Hammer

Connie wept alone in the hallway. As sad as she was, her day was about to get worse as a news report was being prepared by the NCAA. Connie knew that it was coming, but she feared that the NCAA may be harsher than she had anticipated.

NCAA spokesman, Joe Fish, approached the mic as the press conference began. He had a stern face as he started to address the media.

"It is with our sincerest disappointment that we have to call this press conference today. Multiple members of the Rikers Island Inmate football program have chosen to conduct themselves poorly and we will not tolerate that. This press conference is being called so that we can publicly show these players that there will be stiff penalties and consequences for conducting themselves in such an unacceptable manner."

Fish never broke eye contact with the camera. It was obvious that he was very passionate about maintaining a sense of order in NCAA football. His drive to keep things in order was made apparent as the presser continued.

"Without further a due, let's begin with the suspension of Rikers Island offensive lineman Steve Wilson. Wilson violently struck a fellow teammate with a Gatorade cooler while said teammate wasn't looking. This teammate remains unconscious as we speak. Such a violent attack comes with severe consequences. Mr. Wilson will receive a season long ban, effective immediately."

Fish appeared to be angered. The tone of his voice indicated that he had fought to get Wilson banned for life, but he hadn't been successful. A season long ban was intense, but definitely not as bad as it could've been, and probably should've been.

"Moving along, Rikers Island's D'Juan Bo Bo will also miss time due to the poor manner in which he chose to conduct himself in during yesterday's game. Mr. Bo Bo elected to pull his teammate's pants down in the middle of the game. This behavior is most definitely not condoned by the NCAA. Mr. Bo Bo will serve a 4 game suspension."

After flipping a few pages on his clipboard, Fish continued the press conference as determined as ever.

"As unfortunate as it is, more Rikers Island players will also be suspended. Starting kicker Wes Shultz and starting fullback Marshall Eaton will both serve 2 game suspensions for their fist fight with each other. Teamwork is a core value of the NCAA so Shultz and Eaton's violent display goes against everything we as the NCAA stand for. Both men should consider themselves lucky that they were not given longer suspensions."

Fish's frustration seemed to have subsided as he finished. He thanked the members of the media who had chosen to come out for the press conference, and waved as he left the stage.

Connie had missed the entire press conference as she remained crumpled up in the hallway sobbing. However, once she saw the results, she would definitely have to be thankful that her kicker, Shultz, and her fullback, Eaton, only received 2 game suspensions. The NCAA certainly could have banned them for a lot longer.

Connie had planned on watching the press conference, but she couldn't pull herself together in time.