Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Perseverance

Connie finally found the strength to pull herself off the floor. She had sobbed in the hallway for what seemed like hours. She felt ashamed of herself for allowing herself to be so weak. She hung her head and walked into the now-empty bathroom.

She flipped on the light and saw herself in the mirror. Makeup was running down her face from all of her tears. She looked weak as the sleepless night had drained all of her energy. Connie knew she couldn't keep letting this happen. She didn't like what she saw when she looked at herself, and she knew that it wasn't in the best interest of her or anyone around her.

After vowing to start fresh and never stoop to this low again, Connie ran cold water into her hands from the sink, and splashed her face. The water felt refreshing, and seemed to cleanse the sorrow that she had felt.

After washing away her smudged makeup, Connie pulled her hair back and looked in the mirror again. She saw the look of determination and the face of a warrior. Regardless what life had thrown at her, she kept finding a way to bounce back. She smirked as she knew this time wouldn't be any different.

Connie confidently walked out of the bathroom. She chose not to make eye contact with any of the nurses who were standing close by in the hallway, because she knew that they had judged her while she was crying.

Connie could feel them blankly staring at her as she made her way to the exit, but she didn't care. Her mind was focused on her next task at hand....

Fu Fu Brown....