Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

"All you can eat Popcorn Shrimp"

As Fu Fu's cell door opened, Connie braced for the worst. She knew that her feelings would be hurt if she saw a broken hearted Fu Fu, after spending so much time in solitary. She hoped that Fu Fu was her normal self, and that she would be overcome with excitement when Connie told her that she could rejoin the cheerleading team.

Officer Cooke and Connie peered into the cell. They both stared blankly, not knowing what to think....

Fu Fu was sitting on the ground near her bed, attempting to twist her afro into dreadlocks. Her dreads were very uneven, and not tight at all. Her cell didn't have a mirror, and Fu Fu was tying her dreads down with thin strips that she had torn off of her milk carton. She appeared to be roughly halfway done, when Connie and Officer Cooke busted in.

Shock and disbelief overcame Fu Fu, and she stopped twisting her hair and stood up. Officer Cooke ordered her to sit on her bed while they filled her in on what was going on.

"Sure thing, pork chop!"

A grin came across Fu Fu's face as she slowly made her way to her bed and plopped down.

Connie shook her head as she knew getting Fu Fu to apologize was going to be a chore. Officer Cooke seemed to already be getting emotional, and Fu Fu knew it. Making fun of him brought her a lot of enjoyment.

"Young lady, it is in your best interest to treat me with some respect if you ever hope to get out of here."

Officer Cooke's tone was stern. He had very clearly had enough of Fu Fu's jokes about his weight. Connie glanced at Officer Cooke's stature. He was a tremendously obese officer. She expected that he was easily 300 pounds, if not more.

Fu Fu smirked. She knew that she had poked a nerve and that Officer Cooke was getting frustrated.

"Oh yeah? Well its in your best interest to cut out 'All you can eat buffets' but you don't seem to care."

Connie giggled. Her day had been absolutely awful, so the joking from Fu Fu was really cheering her up. Fu Fu noticed Connie's amusement. She smiled at Connie as Officer Cooke fussed at her.

"I've told you over, and over, and over, and over again. My weight problem is a condition! It's between me and my doctor!"

Connie felt bad for encouraging Fu Fu, but she knew that Fu Fu was going to do it regardless so she didn't get mad at herself.

"It's between you, your doctor, and Colonel Sanders. You must keep the colonel on speed dial!"

Laughter overcame Fu Fu as Officer Cooke got angrier and angrier. Connie knew that she needed to be the adult here, since once again, Officer Cooke was being childish, allowing the jokes to hurt his feelings.

"Look, Fu Fu, we came here today to give you an opportunity to be set free from solitary and rejoin the cheerleading squad."

Fu Fu quit making faces at Officer Cooke and made eye contact with Connie. Connie's input had captured Fu Fu's attention. Connie continued, hoping that Fu Fu would take her seriously.

"There is one thing that you have to do first. You must apologize to Officer Cooke. That's it. Then you're free to go."

An evil grin came over Fu Fu's face as she glanced back to Officer Cooke.

"Awhhhh, is Twinkie sensitive? Can he not take the heat? Awhhh, poor baby! Would an apology make you feel better, butter ball? Hmmm? What if I order a cake with 'I'm sorry' written across it in frosting? Would that make you feel better, swiss roll?"

Officer Cooke was furious. His chest was puffed out, and his face got really red. Connie knew he was ready to leave, ensuring that Fu Fu would never get out.

Connie tried to coach Fu Fu up on just what it was going to mean if she blew this opportunity. She informed Fu Fu that she would stay locked up here for years, and the cheerleading team would be Derricka's, for good.

Fu Fu seemed serious now. She stared at Connie, determined to do anything that it took to not let that happen.

Connie nodded at her, and motioned for her to do what she needed to do. Fu Fu turned to Officer Cooke. Her seriousness began to fade as she started talking.

"I'm sorry...so incredibly sorry...that you don't use sugar-free syrup on your 'all you can eat pancakes!'"

Fu Fu seemed proud of herself, but knew she was wrong when she glanced at Connie. Connie was overcome with rage as she began losing hope that Fu Fu was going to be able to pull it together enough to get released.

Connie's heart sank as she pictured how smug Derricka would be once she found out that Fu Fu wouldn't be returning. The thought of Derricka winking at her and waving as she knew her problem was gone, sickened Connie. The look of sheer frustration was all over Connie's face, so Fu Fu tried again.

"I mean...I'm sorry...really sorry, that... Golden Corral charges you double on 'All You Can Eat Popcorn Shrimp' night!"

Fu Fu didn't have to look at Connie to know that she was even angrier then before. She giggled and started again.

However, before Fu Fu could start again, Officer Cooke turned to Connie. Tears in his eyes.

"See what I have to put up with? It hurts!"

Connie was blown away. How could a full grown man be such a baby? He was more emotional then she was, and Connie considered herself to be an emotional wreck lately.

Connie faked compassion, and hugged Officer Cooke. Fu Fu was giggling on her bed. Connie peered over Officer Cooke's shoulder at Fu Fu as they hugged with an evil look. Fu Fu knew that she needed to stop giggling.

Officer Cooke tried to wipe away his tears but more kept coming. Connie could only shake her head in disbelief as she motioned for Fu Fu to try again.

"I'm sorry...that...Pizza Hut isn't 24/7! I know you get sad when you can't have an Xtra-large pizza anytime you want it!"

That was it. Officer Cooke had heard enough. He stormed towards the door, and motioned for Connie to follow him out. Fu Fu had tickled herself with that last insult, so she was doubled over laughing.

Connie wasn't going to let this happen. She grabbed Officer Cooke by the collar of his shirt and pulled him close to her face.

"You really think keeping her here longer will make anything better?! You think these insults will stop?! No! They won't, they'll only keep getting worse! They already hurt your feelings and she knows that! She owns you! The more you keep her here, the more sad you will be! Kick her out, and let her be everyone else's problem while you get your peace over here!"

Officer Cooke frowned and wiped away more tears. However, he knew that Connie was absolutely right. He nodded in approval and motioned for Fu Fu to come to the door.

Fu Fu was beaming ear to ear. Tears were welling up in her eyes too from all of the laughter from her jokes about how fat Officer Cooke was. She came bee-bopping up to the door of her cell, with her afro bouncing wildly.

Officer Cooke began chaining Fu Fu up so that she could be walked over to the main part of the jail. Fu Fu giggled as she made eye contact with Officer Cooke who was once again fighting back tears.

When Fu Fu was ready, she glanced back at Connie.

"Thanks coach!"

Still blown away by the immaturity of both Fu Fu, and Officer Cooke, Connie snapped back at her.

"You're welcome, Dumb F***!"

Fu Fu seemed perplexed by the disgust in Connie's voice, but still smiled as Officer Cooke began walking her down the hallway towards the main part of the jail.

Connie could only shake her head as she heard Fu Fu begin informing Officer Cooke of how fattening Chocolate Fondue was in the large quantities that Officer Cooke consumed it in. Fu Fu had obviously not learned anything. Had Connie not stepped in, Fu Fu would remain in solitary forever.

With her day having been rough to say the least, Connie made her way outside and anxiously snatched out another cigarette and sparked up.