Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Remains of Partially Built dome, “The Jailhouse” Burnt to Ground

(September 13th, 2006) Early this morning, reports of a fire were made known to the FDNY. The fireman rushed over as fast as they could, only to find that the remains of the partially built football dome, “The Jailhouse”, had been completely burned down. Officers arrived on the scene and suspect that it was another arson offense.

One eye witness was on the scene, Claude Newman. Newman had been out drinking with friends at a nearby Pub, and had staggered up the street in a drunken stupor prior to collapsing onto a sidewalk near “The Jailhouse” construction site. Newman stated that he had apparently been passed out for hours, but upon waking up, he witnessed someone starting a fire at the construction site.

“I saw a big ole boy striking a match near that dome over yonder. I tried to get up but was still too sloppy drunk, and stumbled right back down. I tried hollering, and yelling as loudly as possible, but all that did was let him know I was seeing him. Once he got the flames going, he high tailed it out of there. I tried crawling, but got tired and went to sleep till yall came and woke me up again.”

Claude still appeared to be very intoxicated, so once again, police question his reliability. However, Claude’s account could mean that there is a connection between this arson crime and the arson crime on “The Jailhouse” earlier this month. Once again, residents of the greater New York Area are cautioned to be on the look out for a large man with a box full of matches.

This fire officially destroyed the last of what was the hope of a proud football program. When the smoke settled, it was as if it never even happened.