Status: In-Progress (updating once a week)

Headfirst for Halos

Skylines and Turnstiles

“I hope you know that you’re not alone in this place.” Lindsey reassured me, her hand was carefully placed above my elbow to guide me around the hospital. Lindsey was the nurse that had been assigned to guide me around the facility. She had raven hair tied at opposite sides of her head and crimson red lips to define her face. With her many tattoos that her uniform barely hid I had to admit that she was quite attractive; but if only I swung for that team.

I look up at her, and she smiles once again. She smiles a lot, it was unnerving. A lot of things were unnerving, from the endless white to Lyndsey’s smile and to the drawing of me I currently had placed in my left pocket. That was unnerving.

During the small tour she had revealed to me the Cancer ward (which just reeked of death), the Rehabilitation area, the Birthing centre (which made me feel extremely uncomfortable to be in), the emergency room, and once we reached the corridor where we started she explained that the room I woke up in, is mine for sleeping.

“And this,” she stood in front of two large double doors as they slid open for her, “Is the dining and recreational area. Basically you come here to eat or when you’re bored. Also you won’t get lost because it’s just two doors down from your room.” She clarified with another smile and introduced me to the guards who kept watch of us.

“Well, around about now I finish my shift so I’ll see you tomorrow Frank. It was nice meeting you.” She gave me yet another toothy smile before abandoning me.

I stood near the entrance for approximately 15 seconds actually hoping she would come back, but of course she didn’t. I was startled when the door opened and a man entered wearing a grey coat and carrying a bowl and spoon; another nurse. He wore a similar outfit to Bob and had straight brown hair, a nose piercing and chocolate coloured eyes.

“Tay didn’t want to eat in front of people again today, but she sends her thanks to you all.” He said to some of the ladies that worked behind a counter serving food, it was almost like a cafeteria. When he noticed me observing them he smiled widely then departed the room. Why does everyone smile so much here?

I examined the room when my eyes fell on the boy from earlier on. The one who drew me. He was hunched over a notebook on a table in the corner. His food untouched in front of him. I hesitantly make my way over and sit down so I was directly facing him.

He looked up from his notepad and observed me for exactly twenty-four seconds before once again looking down at his drawing. I hoped he wasn’t drawing me again. I didn’t even know his name. I want to ask him why he did draw me in the first place, but my throat feels like it’s on fire every time I even try to swallow.

I observed the way his black hair flowed messily around his face and his exquisite hazel eyes darted from the bottom to the top of his book repeatedly. Throughout this whole awkward silence he peered up at me a number of times, I lost count after thirty-three.

I was trying to think of a way to break the silence when the boy suddenly stood up from his seat, ripped the page out of his book, placed it face-down on the table, and exited the room. Weird.
I watched the door until it was a full sixty seconds since he had disappeared, then I decided to lift the paper. It was another drawing of myself, except this time he had signed it with his name. I managed to make out the word ‘Gerard’ but I couldn’t be sure, I mean, what kind of name is that? And why does he keep drawing pictures of me?

I had been sitting there for a full forty-three seconds when I realized that I hadn’t even managed to say thank you for the drawing. I run out of the recreational room and into the corridor where my room was located, remembering that his was directly adjacent from mine. The door was open; and inside the boy was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the room. I tentatively take a few steps inside and place myself in front of him, mirroring his position.

“You’re not supposed to be in here,” he says, his voice sounding tired and worn. Now that I’m closer I take a better look at him and notice the dark, black rings around his eyes and the way his shoulders slumped like he was lifting something really heavy. I shrug, as an answer to what he said, not really caring where I was and wasn’t supposed to be. Instead, I grab both pieces of paper, the drawings of me, and hold them up mouthing the word ‘thanks’. He gasps in surprise, his eyes widening. I liked his eyes, they were a beautiful hazel.

“You liked them?” He nervously asks, I nod my head yes, still mesmerized by his eyes.
As I turn to look around his room, I notice that the walls are littered with his drawings. They were dark, but intriguing at the same time. I wanted to get inside this boy’s head, see things like he does, his art was beautiful; and I couldn’t help but stare in awe. The world needs something better than self-pitying people who can’t get over things; the world needs this boy’s art.

We sat in silence until a nurse came in and explained that it was time for everyone to be in their rooms and asleep. I frown at her, I didn’t want to go. She had small blonde buns on opposite sides of her head, the left side of her nose pierced, and she was dressed in an outfit similar to Lindsey and her name badge read: Jenna.

She almost had to drag me out of the room when the boy asked, “Wait, what’s your name?” I turn my head to quickly mouth the word “Frank.” And just before she closes his door I hear a faint, “I’m Gerard.” And I’m being led to my room for the night. Huh, what an odd name.

When I was sure she had left I make my way to the small window in the middle of my door, to see Gerard was already starring out of his window, he smiled once he saw me and I did the same. Something I hadn’t done in a while.

About twenty-seven minutes later, we were both fatigued from standing, and so I waved him farewell. Taking one last look at his hazel eyes.

I think I had found my new favourite colour.

Tell me where we go from here, from this hospital, from this life.