Rust

i want to be thrilled

The salty air rushed across the beach with the waves and ruffled Oberyn’s hair as he squinted at the ships travelling to and from the harbour of Sunspear. The orange of Ellaria’s dress billowed next to him, a similar colour to the rusty sand beneath their bare feet, scorching hot from the Dornish sun high above their heads. She stroked his arm, staring up at him as she wondered what he was thinking. His silence and creased brow was beginning to worry her as she knew how difficult it was to pull her lover out of the waves of melancholy he experienced for various reasons.

“What is on your mind?” she finally spoke up and Oberyn sighed, reluctant to voice his thoughts.

“I think I’m bored,” he said, summarising his contemplation on why he was still alive. Once his brother had insisted that he was safe to return to Westeros, he had come home and was not initially disappointed. The painful reminders of Elia around his home were not as prominent, his daughters were older and wonderful to speak with, and Ellaria had waltzed into his life and stolen his heart. But then the excitement had died down. Days passed at a steady pace with no further entertaining events occurring, the opposite to what his time had been like in Essos. He craved to have that something extra present in his life again, and he was praying that Ellaria would understand. “I need a thrill, something to make me feel alive again. Everything is too safe in Westeros, even in Dorne.”

“You want to do something… crazy, something just for fun?” Ellaria asked and Oberyn shrugged, uncertain of exactly how he was going to satiate an undermined need. Ellaria glanced over her shoulder at the path that was busy with peasants transporting goods, and then across the beach at other wealthy individuals who had the time to spend relaxing on the sand, then decided that they were perfectly positioned. Her fingers pushed the thin straps of her dress over her shoulders and the silky material slid across her tanned skin to the ground, catching Oberyn’s eye.

“What are you doing?” he wondered as she took a step towards the water. “You know I have that private spot on the beach for-”

“I don’t want that. I want to be thrilled,” she said with a smile before running down the beach and splashing in the warm waves. The naked beauty laughing and flicking water around her only drew more attention to them, but instead of shying away Oberyn embraced the moment. He tore his clothes from his body as quickly as he could and then ran into the surf after his love.