Behind the Sea

one

It happened whilst I was lying on my blue and white striped towel, you know the ones like you get in hotels, it was then that I had to face the horrible realisation: I was in fact; going to die alone.

It had been a very nice day, as my grandmother would have said. The sun had been shining relentlessly; never hiding behind the white blossoming clouds that glide like ships across the sky, the soothing sound of the waves gently crashing on the sandy shore flooded the beach almost like a lullaby, the joyful and overexcited shrieks of young children mingled with the occasional crowing of overhead flying seagulls and the mechanical splutter of jet skis that were causing havoc on the sea, all created the soundtrack to my day on the beach.

I had been on the beach since eight in the morning, the best time to come. It was then that the beach was still peaceful and the water so clear you could see tiny fish and starfish in the sea, it was still unspoilt before the rush of the masses that were due to arrive here at around eleven o'clock.

The revelation had hit me suddenly as I had opened my eyes, which had been shielded form the sun by white Ray Bans, and I had looked up at the sky from my lying position on my towel. They sky was an indescribable blue, a blue that almost blended with the sapphire shade of the water but not quite it was still yet clearer, it was as if the light form the sun first passed through thousands of crystals before the blue and light took its place in the vast expanse and then became the sky.

Such vastness terrified me; I was just a little inconsequential nobody back down on the ground, one in a billion.

The revelation thus confirmed my biggest nightmare.

I was going to end up like Bridget Jones; eaten by my own Alsatians; or if worst came to worst by my cat.

With a heartfelt sigh I lay back down on my blue and white striped towel and defiantly shut my eyes.

I groaned innerly as an image of Renee Zellwegger as Bridget Jones burnt its self onto my brain.

How I hate romantic comdeys.